1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AA04: Victoria’s Aggressive Adventures

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, May 26, 2008.

1. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

Actually I can't notice of the reason of the :mad: here, maybe I'm too lazy :crazyeye:, could you explain?

Got it for tonight. Will start research HBR for phants.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

My guess is the workers being grouped together ... as you can see, one worker has finished the work, and the other one is idle ... they would not be activated for new orders since they are grouped. This illustrates why some SG players discourage (or even ban) workers grouping.

--

3. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

^^ exactly.

I am. But sadly those warriors are now fortified in shanghai, waiting to sponge up collateral damage :(

Also we have neither calendar nor HBR. But do we need HBR without a scource of horses? Speaking of which, I pillaged QSH's (only?) scource of 'em.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

HBR is for phants, my dear King of Cydonia, not for horses. Those are strength 8, better than a CR1 sword.

5. mystyfly

D'oh...

I very rarely use them, also cavalry in general is rare in my games...

But it shouldn't be too hard to get, really.

6. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

I'm downloading patch 3.17 now :D still played with 3.13

Quiet builder/preparing set. We have HBR now and I leave research on Calendar.

Accepted the peace with Qin, but instead of Meditation, I asked for Monotheism. We can switch to OR if we want. I didn't since we build mainly troops now and I didn't want to lose a turn in anarchy.

Pericles asked for Priesthood what I gave him to keep him happy. Hopefully won't :backstab: us when we attack Qin.

Our stacks and the closest enemy cities. There are a few catas on the roads, too.

The GG is still waiting for a healer unit. The peace treaty ended, we can attack anytime ;) Good luck.

Spoiler :

Logging by BUG Mod 2.30 [Build 742] (BtS 3.13)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Turn 194/750 (310 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:11:24]
    AA04(England) and Qin Shi Huang(China) have signed a peace treaty
    Tech learned: Monotheism
    Research begun: Horseback Riding (586 Turns)

After End Turn:
    London grows to size 7
    Nottingham finishes: Swordsman
    Buddhism has spread: Verlamion
    Camulodunum grows to size 4
    Camulodunum's borders expand
    Camulodunum finishes: Library

Other Player Actions:
    Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang(China) towards AA04(England), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
    Civics Change: Pericles(Greece) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 195/750 (325 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:20:01]
    Nottingham begins: Catapult (6 turns)
    A Mine was built near York

After End Turn:
    Whip anger has decreased in London
    Whip anger has decreased in Nottingham
    Camulodunum finishes: Catapult

Other Player Actions:
    Attitude Change: Brennus(Celtia) towards Qin Shi Huang(China), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 196/750 (340 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:24:34]
    Camulodunum begins: Catapult (75 turns)
    A Farm was built near London

After End Turn:
    London finishes: Catapult

Other Player Actions:
    Attitude Change: Brennus(Celtia) towards Qin Shi Huang(China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 197/750 (355 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:27:12]
    London begins: Catapult (7 turns)
    A Farm was built near Camulodunum

After End Turn:
    The whip was applied in Nottingham
    The whip was applied in Verlamion
    London grows to size 8
    York grows to size 5
    Nottingham finishes: Catapult
    Hastings finishes: Spearman
    Canterbury finishes: Granary
    Verlamion finishes: Granary

Other Player Actions:

Turn 198/750 (370 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:30:11]
    Nottingham begins: Catapult (8 turns)
    Hastings begins: Spearman (9 turns)
    Canterbury begins: Library (34 turns)
    Verlamion begins: Barracks (75 turns)
    A Farm was built near Camulodunum

After End Turn:
    Nottingham grows to size 6
    Camulodunum grows to size 5

Other Player Actions:

Turn 199/750 (385 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:32:11]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
    Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang(China) towards AA04(England), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 200/750 (400 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:33:27]

After End Turn:
    Verlamion grows to size 3

Other Player Actions:

Turn 201/750 (415 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:38:52]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

Turn 202/750 (430 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:41:01]
    London begins: Catapult (5 turns)
    A Cottage was built near Canterbury
    A Cottage was built near Camulodunum

After End Turn:
    London grows to size 9
    A Village was built near London
    Nottingham finishes: Catapult
    Canterbury grows to size 4
    Camulodunum grows to size 6

Other Player Actions:

Turn 203/750 (445 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:45:49]
    Nottingham begins: Catapult (6 turns)
    A Cottage was built near Hastings

After End Turn:
    The whip was applied in London
    The whip was applied in York
    The whip was applied in Camulodunum
    Tech learned: Horseback Riding
    York finishes: Catapult
    Camulodunum finishes: Catapult

Other Player Actions:

Turn 204/750 (460 AD) [19-Jun-2008 19:49:27]
    Research begun: Calendar (16 Turns)
    York begins: Catapult (38 turns)
    A Cottage was built near Camulodunum
    London begins: War Elephant (6 turns)
    Camulodunum begins: War Elephant (23 turns)

Attached Files:

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Nice set. :goodjob: getting Monotheism in place of mediation.

While stacks you shown on the screenie looked impressive, I think we need a couple of phants and more cats. Those longbows are problematic, maybe requiring 3 swords to take one down. I would probably declare once I get a couple of elephants out.

Got it.

And then, there is the question of patching to 3.17. I have no problem with patching, so if any player has issue please voice out. I would probably still play with 3.13 for my turnset. I am also wondering if anyone knows if 3.13 can load up a 3.17 save. If so, we needn't bother about this to-patch-or-not-to-patch business. For that, if anyone has already patched to 3.17, if you can upload a 3.17 save for me to test opening with 3.13, it would be appreciated.

--

8. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

In this case we should ask Currency from Qin. He will give it which means 10 more peaceful builder turns.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Great idea abt getting Currency from QSH ... that was exactly what I did:

Surprisingly, that did not extend the Peace treaty. I don't know why, maybe because we ask for it just before the current peace treaty ends (maybe a bug --> exploit :eek:), or because we asked really nicely :p.

Anyway, the peace treaty ended the turn after we extorted. Too bad for QSH ...

In preparation of the war, I think we shouldn't be holding on to the GG ... so I spent him on the medic spear:

We whipped an elephant and doomsday for the chinese has arrived.

Here are the defenders and our attackers.

Seems okay. Only the longbows at Guangzhou is a bit troublesome, being on hills.

Then, Brennus came knocking:

Hmm ... what did QSH gave you that would enticed you enough to made such a foolish move?

:hammer: YOU HAVE CHOSEN UNWISELY :hammer:

But we would deal with you later. Let's concentrate on Mr Qin first. Here comes his stack of Partisans (aka exp-dispenser).

Indeed, we killed every single one (less the last one, to avoid moving off the stack) and get another General. As we have two stacks, I spent him on another spear as well. So, we now have two super-medics. The next one should be settled or build the academy.

In the meantime, I decided to trade away HBR for calendar:

This had two purposes: one is in anticipation of war weariness once the siege phase ends and the ground troops starts charging in; the other is to get calendar out of the way for CoL ... we need the courthouses soon. Best to whip them once the captured cities comes out of revolt.

Speaking of capturing cities, both Shanghai and Guangzhou falls within the same turn:

Guangzhou is the difficult one, costing us half of our initial stack. But they fall.

Somehow, QSH has a wandering LB in Greece, and most likely the spy is from the Chinese.

I stopped after setting up Beijing for a nice attack next turn.

QSH has a galley to our west coast. Although I highly suspect it to be empty, just be careful and keep a strong unit around.

I have changed a lot of builds to infrastructure. I think we can sue of peace after Beijing, let QSH has his 3 fur city, and get some techs from him. Beijing will be the GP-Farm.

This will have the advantage of being able to extort a tech from QSH. Disadvantage is of-course the yearning-to-return-to-Motherland. If we choose peace, a revolt to OR might be helpful.

Then, there is also the issue of Brenny. I have build a galley and loaded an axe and a sword to his newly built city on an island. Suggest we raze it, and then we can sue of peace (and get something out of it). Alternatively, we could move our forces from the north to pay Brenny a visit.

Both ways seems viable, though I prefer to get peace soon and start rebuilding our economy with courthouses+markets, and maybe also the Forbidden Palace.

Roster
    -- Mystyfly
    -- pholkhero == RIP
    -- negyvenketto
    -- GreyFox
    >> beserks01 == UP!
    -- pigswill == MIA?

I have played with 3.13, but I think the saves are compatible (both save version for patch 3.13 and patch 3.17 is 3.01). So we can play patched from now on ... (especially if we are gonna raze brenny's city :mischief:).

Attached Files:

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Hmmm ... I tested using my laptop and desktop, and no, my 3.1.3 desktop can't open my 3.17 laptop's save. So, if next player patches, we must all play patched from now on.

11. mystyfly

Very nice turns Mr. Fox :goodjob:

:woohoo: we have a GPFarm. Even if it's fairly late...
    I think we should take peace with QSH. Then we can raze 1-2 brennus cities, sue for peace, and redeclare on QSH to finish him off. Make sure to pick monopoly techs in the peace treaty.
    One thing I don't like about this is that he might capitulate to someone. Not to Brennus, he's weak himself. Probabely Pericles? I believe to remember that pericles is annoyed towards QSH so that shouldn't happen. Otherwise we should try to vassalize QSH or finish him off completely ASAP. I don't want to fight Pericles when we don't choose to attack him.
    BTW is in WHOOH? Otherwise we might be able to bribe him vs Brennus. This way QSH shouldn't capitulate, Pericles won't think about attacking us and he's slowed down a bit.

12. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Sorry chaps. Been civved out for a week or so. Hopefully I'll be back but keep me on skip until I confirm my renewed enthusiasm. Good luck in the meantime.

13. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

Nice warring there, Fox :goodjob:

I've got it, then. I'm also for vassalizing Qin if we can, if only just to keep him from vassalizing to another Civ.

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

We don't have Feudalism to vassalize (or is it sufficient that QSH has?).

15. mystyfly

No, we don't have it and No, I believe we need to have it ourselves. I think we could probabely get if from pericles (?) or in the peace treaty w/ QSH and reDOW later to quickly vassalize QSH.

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

The good thing abt Beijing being our GP-Farm is Qin had so helpfully built 4 wonders in there ... (too bad Oracle is in Shanghai and not in Beijing).

I would try to get Metal Casting from QSH instead of feud. More yummy to me. Plus we can't get Feud without Monarchy.

I would not try to vassalize Qin. After Beijing falls, he would be a non-factor in this game. Either finish him in the next war, or let him be vassal to someone else. It is not worth suffering diplo hits to keep him as a pet.

Oh, 1 more thing I forgot: I chose alphabet entirely arbitrarily (because I know I wanted to stop after CoL is in). So berserks, please review the tech choices and select something more appropriate.

--

17. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Just something more to whet lurker's appetite while we wait for next turnset:

Tech-wise, I suggest we go for Compass.

We are #1 in land ... which means a good thing: the other landmass does not appear to have a dominating AI.

Pericles for some reason doesn't want to trade any resources ... hmmm.

He is also in WHEOOH mode ... a glance at the ... well, glance suggests that Brennus might be looking at the wrong ends of the Phalanx's pole.

Pericles also has quite some troops massed in his southern border with the Celts.

And good news is Beijing has 4 wonders, Colossus and TGL are the yummiest of all :drool:

Bad news is someone on the other landmass also has 4 wonders in one city. Probably whoever owns that city also has Pyramids as well.

--

18. mystyfly

Nice summary, fox :goodjob:

'cause of the GLH? You suggest Compass > Optics > Astro? This is a route to consider though I usually don't like it that much. When finding the other conti(s) I usually try to be in FR to avoid making enemies quickly. We could probabely make the lib detour, helped by a few bulbs. We'll see when we get Beijing.

What's the problem? Are you confused that one bug has been fixed?! :lol: Pericles wouldn't trade spices because we have it ourselves. Same with Silk, Wheat, Cows and Iron.

Let's hope so.

I'm mostly looking foreward to GLH and MOM, I really like long GAs. I did notice those wonders when playing but as there was no need for other screens I didn't bother taking this one as it would've meant to open up another tab with photobucket... :rolleyes:

Lets hope Wondertown is coastal...

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

But I haven't patched yet.

If we want to go for liberalism, then CS is the way to go. Both are fine.

The good thing abt Colossus is we are Fin.. This makes non-coastal tile jumps to 3 coin as oppose to 1, it is really huge.

Re photobucket, I usually create one folder for each SG or at least each SG series.

20. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

Started off by switching research to Compass.

The war with Qin continues, and Beijing fell the first turn. We lost all the pults there to soften the longbows, and 1 phant to a defending pult at 99% odd in our favor :sad:

Razed Durnovaria

Tried to extort MC plus another tech from Qin, but he would only part with MC by itself or Monarchy and Meditation. So I took MC and we can re-declare in 10 turns to prevent anymore "We wish to join our motherland"

Razed Bagacum while I was down there

Unfortunately a barb galley sank our galley the next turn and our swordman is still stranded on that island. That barb galley also destroyed our island fish before sinking our galley.

I stopped when Compass comes in.

We can't extort techs from Brennus because neither of us has Alpha :lol:
    We can trade for Alpha with Qin before re-declaring on him and extort some techs from Brennus at the same time. But that's up to the team to decide.

Attached Files: