1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AAARRGHH ! the bloody 1.29 editor!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by thomson_2001, Jul 19, 2002.

1. thomson_2001

thomson_2001 The Hero of Sween

Ok. I have a copied version of civ 3 (lost my original whilst moving house and wasnt gonna fork out more money for the same game). So i need a crack of the version im plaing (means i have to wait until a 1.29 crack comes out) However I am able to use the new editior! it works fine until i try and play my scenario and it says "the file cant be opened, may be corrupt!". So i went back to civ Edit and simply created a random map with starting locations (just as a test) and the same message came up when i tried to play it. Does this mean you must need the 1.29 patch installed to PLAY scenarios?!please help

2. thomson_2001

ok as a test i did the following:-

-found a bic file that i had created on the civ edit from v1.07
    -opened it in civ3 and played 1 turn (to check it worked)
    -then opened this bic in the v1.29 civ edit
    -saved it without making any changes
    -tried to open it in civ3 and it came up with the "corrupt" message

So it must be some link between using the civ edit v 1.29 and only havibng the 1.21 patch installed. So it looks likely that u must yave the 1.29 patch installed to play scenarios! :(

3. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

I would assume that Civ3 would check the version and wouldn't allow anything newer than what is installed. I mean, backward compatibility is one thing, but it's a little more difficult to program future compatibility :)

4. Level

Level Prince

The game/editor is backwards compatible and not forwards compatible, you can open old SAVs/BICs in the new game/editor editor and not new SAVs/BICs in the old game/editor.

5. Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS Firaxian

If you are having issues with getting old BIC files to run with the new patch, try this:

Open the editor, and start a new BIC file.
    Use the File->Import command to import the rules from your old BIC file. It may tell you it needs to modify some things from the old BIC to make them compatible with the new BIC format. Just click OK.

Then, save this new BIC out and try to load it as a scenario from the main menu.

This should solve the problems.

Dan

6. thomson_2001

thanks Dan but im having trouble with the newly made bics not the olders ones. I bought civ3 when it came out first.But i lost it when i moved house :( I really didnt want to have to go out and shell out £30 fro the same game so i bought a copied version (sorry!) .It works great but requireds a crack (sorry again!). I can run the new editor but my game isnt 1.29p patched yet. Im thinking this must be why i get errors - cos my game is older than the civEdit im using.Therefor u must have v1.29 to play new scenarios im thinking! Thanks for your time.

7. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

I don't think the uninstall works properly. For the DYP mod, 1.29 doesn't work. So, I had to uninstall the 1.29 patch and also uninstall the 1.21f patch and then reinstall the 1.21f patch.

8. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

The new .BIC files have some extra things in them regarding cities/units/etc. This can't be picked up by the older versions of Civ since the older versions didn't have to look for it. Therefore, your version thinks that the .BIC is corrupt.

9. Gastric ReFlux

Gastric ReFlux Dispatch our Tech Staff

Man, that corruption in Civ3 is spreading everywhere. Maybe if you build a courthouse in your editor file.

10. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

Some people would probably want to try Mike and others in that courthouse. But the rest of Civ3 would find them not guilty.

11. nonnob3

nonnob3 CHECKMATE!

So then may I ask, I should not have any problems after installing the patch, pasting back into the civ3 folder my civmod.bic, civilopdia and pedia icons text. back up files.
    Will this patch affect the resources.pcx? I have made some changes.
    My main concern is that I DONT HAVE TO re add all of my units (over 100) back into the game.
    The 1.21 patch did not had this problem.
    FIRAXIS? Some one?

12. purplexus

purplexus Prince

I'm really thinking some of us are ungrateful for the hard work the firaxis team puts into the game... although not perfect lets give them a thumbs up for continually improving on the imperfections.. Thanks for the new patch... P.S. Ka-el any problems with the new patch playing double your pleasure???? b4 i go and install the new patch i want a thumbs up on a go ahead and install it.

13. TVA22

TVA22 King

I tried to paste my pediaicons and civilopedia.txt files in place of the new ones with the patch, and they caused my game to crash... Of course it worked before, with the previous patch... Am I going to have to re-write it all? Or cut and paste individual paragraphs...

14. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

One of the reasons Iv'e waited so long to do all the pedia stuff for all my units is cos I was waiting for the "final" patch and didn't want to have to redo all my hard work.

Iv'e not had any trouble adding old modifications to my new scenarios, but thats cos Iv'e always used Scenarios rather than editing the main bic.

Any one wanting to keep all their old modifictions should do what Dan suggests, though this wont help thompson 2001, If you lose you disk can't you send off and get a replacement, or is that just for damaged disks?

15. hzm

hzm Ecco the Dolphin

Does anyone know the hex values you need to change to remove the cd check? I broke my cd and stupid me, downloaded the patch without looking for a crack.

16. thomson_2001

i think fixaris had done a great job and i knew people would still moan cos thats the way some people are:- unhappy bout everything! At least they created a free scenario ed, the didnt HAVE TO! Until these moaners can create games the likes of civ3 they should shut up (and if any of you moaners CAN create games as good as civ3 ....well shut up too :) )

17. nonnob3

nonnob3 CHECKMATE!

This PATCH IS THE BEST!!!!!!! :D
    I love that now to create starting locations on a map you just have to right click and assign.
    AWSOME WORK FIRAXIS!!!!!!!!!! :yeah:

18. thomson_2001

its great eh! :)

19. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

But it's not great if you can't get to play it, like many are having trouble with. :)