Aabra-cadaabra: Demigod Iroquois

Aabraxan

Mid-level Micromanager
Aabra-cadaabra: Demigod Iroquois

Welcome to Aabra-cadaabra: Demigod Iroquois.

A while back, I began playing Emperor in my solo games and, over the past few months, I've noticed that the "tipping point," where I begin to feel like the game is just a matter of time before it's won, has been coming earlier and earlier. That meant that it was time to give DG a run. It's not the first time I've tried DG. I've had several failures at it. I tried the first few on continents, thinking, "Hey, this is what I'm used to, so I'll stick with it." Suffice it to say that those attempts did not go well. . . Then I decided to go ahead and go with an archipelago map. I tried a few runs with 80% water & played the Dutch. I wanted to reduce AI-AI trading and to try to put myself in the broker's seat. Perhaps I could have won one of those games, but I decided that the islands that I got were just too small, so I rolled it back to 70% water and chose the Iros. Unlike "The Unluckiest Lucky Start" and "Awn of an Ynasty," I expect to post saves regularly in this game. Input, criticism and pointers are welcome.

So, without further ado, here are the stats:

The Statistics:
Version: Civ III Conquests
Level: Demigod
Civ: Iroquois
Victory Conditions Allowed: Any
Victory Condition On: Domination, SS, Diplo, Conquest, Cultural
Opponents: Random
Barbarians: Roaming
Scientific Great Leaders: On
Land mass: Archipelago
Water: 70%
Map size: Standard
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate

After several restarts, I got this & decided that it was worth a shot:

Here's the full-screen shot.
Spoiler :

Now, let's be clear: I've not yet had a DG victory. If I can pull this one off, it will be my first one. For me, it will be like magic if I can win.

I founded on the spot, and named my capital Aabraxa. Just so that you know this is not entirely a case of unbridled narcissism, perhaps a little of my gaming history is in order here. I've always liked being able to sort my towns/colonies/bases/planets in the order in which I settled them, and I like having my capital at the top of the list, so that it's easily accessible. As a result, years ago, I started naming my capital Aabraxa . . . You don't have to say it. I already know that it's nerdy. I came to grips with that a long time ago.

Anyway, here was my basic plan: (1) Expand until I'm boxed in; (2) Try to build the GLib; (3) Build Mounted Warriors; and (4) Survive as long as possible. I set research to Writing on max, thinking to use it for trade bait. Popping the hut gave me a warrior, and he set about exploring.
I soon spotted a couple of scouts on my landmass and realized that I had two neighbors: the Americans and the Mongols. OK. Two expansionists on my landmass. Hmmm, that tells me that I can expect to fall behind in tech very, very early. Not that I really expected to keep up at DG, at least not through self-research. On the good side, though, my neighbors: (a) do not have a great AA unit (like the Greeks or the Persians); and (b) are not agricultural. The Americans are industrious, so they're a little scarier than the Mongols. By 1750 BC, the Mongols and the Americans were at war & I sat back and let them traipse across my land, hoping that they would weaken themselves enough for me to perform some "aggressive expansion."

Spoiler :

I had gotten Writing as a monopoly and traded it around for everything I could lay hands on. I then set my sights on Philosopy and continued expanding. Much to my own amazement, I pulled off the Philosophy slingshot! :faint: I grabbed Literature as my free tech and swapped whatever I had been building at Aabraxa to the GLib.

I expanded until I was boxed in, which happened at about 6 cities. This is much more cramped than my Emp games. Through trade and expansion, I learned that I had horses, but no iron. That's OK. I'll get MWs, if I survive long enough. I was also near furs, but Temujin grabbed them first. Silks are to the north and ivory to the east, but the ivory was too close to the American borders for comfort.

By 1000 BC, I was boxed in & knew I was going to have to fight someone. here's the empire at that point.

Spoiler :

I grabbed the GLib, shut off research and began amassing gold. I also got HBR and began building MWs. Eventually, the Americans and the Mongols made peace. In ~650 BC, I DOW'd Temujin. He had furs and iron that I wanted, and the Mongol-American war had weakened him. I took a big stack of MWs and headed south. By 330 BC, I had taken Karakorum, which contains both the Colossus and the Great Lighthouse, and pushed UglyMug off the continent. The Americans got an MGL during the war and finished the SoZ, as well. Fortunately, they finished it shortly before the Mongol War ended, so, if luck holds, I'll be able to take it before Abe gets much use out of it.

It's now 110 BC. I'm preparing for a war with the Americans with Boston being my first target. It's the home of the SoZ, which I want for my very, very own. If I don't think I can hold it, I'll burn it down. From what I've seen, Abe has horses, but no iron. I've also made contact with the Spanish and the Incas.

Here's the empire at 110 BC.

Spoiler :

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Hiawatha of the Iroquois, 4000 BC.SAV
    45.7 KB · Views: 77
Chapter 2: The First American War

In 70 BC, I DOW'd Abe. Normally, I would go all out on the attack. This time, though, I remembered what better players than I have advised and waited for the Americans to come to me. The stream of units that the Americans sent after me was impressive, I must admit. Markedly larger than anything I've seen an Emperor AI produce.

By 50 AD, I had captured Boston and razed Miami. The Americans are willing to talk, and will even give me Cincinnati for a PT, but that's on the far end of the world from my empire. I decide that I'm not done hurting them.

In 110 AD, I burn Miami down, garnering me 4 more slaves. That's 3 towns and I now have iron, at least for the time being. The Mongols are about to try to re-settle the southern peninsula, and I only have 3 turns left on their PT. They're an OCC right now, & I have galleys and MWs forming a "moving screen" in an attempt to prevent a landing, at least until the PT can be canceled.

Monotheism and Engineering are about to come in through the GLib. I'm running 40% lux. Perhaps it's time to make peace.

I decided to go ahead and pursue war with the Americans for a bit. I razed 2 more cities, one newly founded by ivory, but when Allegheny was about to riot, I decided to go ahead and make peace. Even with the GLib, I don't need to run 50% lux.

I said I didn't want those cities, but I changed my mind. Even if they do me no good, I don't want the Americans benfitting, either.

Spoiler :

After making peace with the Americans, I can still only turn down the lux slider to 30%

Peace rolled along nicely until 260 AD, when I DOW'd the Mongols again. They're still an OCC and I think they've got a settler on a galley, but killing off their only existing city will still prove to be a setback for them & I'm not interested in cutting them any slack.

In 280 AD, I finally make contact with Catherine. The only civ I haven't met at this point is Egypt.

Also in 280 AD, I succeed in destroying my first ever Demigod civ! (I guess they didn't have a settler on a galley, after all.)
Spoiler :

On the IBT after 280, I learn Theology, as well as the facts that both the Sistine Chapel and Leonardo's have been started by AI civs.

In 370 AD, I make contact with the Egyptians. That's everyone. With 5 turns left in my PT with Abe, I decide to go see my military advisor. Here's where I stand:

vs. Russia -- I am strong.
vs. America -- I am strong.
vs. Spain -- I am strong.
vs. Celts -- I am average.
vs. Inca -- I am average.
vs. Egypt -- I am average.

As an interesting side note, I built the Great Library and I've gotten bunches of techs from it, but none of the AIs have had enough gold to make selling techs worthwhile. Sorry, but I'm just not taking 20 gold for Literature.

In 390 AD, I get some bad news:

Nothing significant happened in 400 AD, but that seems like a good place to stop. I've got 2 turns of peace left with Abe and a couple of stacks of fast movers in position. As soon as the PT runs out, I'll be ready to clear some more land for expansion . . . or at least I think I will.

Here's the save at 400 AD and I'd very much appreciate advice & comments.

Attachments

• Hiawatha of the Iroquois, 400 AD.SAV
    243 KB · Views: 82
Don't build pikes. Useless.
Build settlers - you have to fill gaps.
Build more and more knights.
Amass military and capture America.
You need also more ships. After wiping enemies from your continent you need great fleet of caravels or galleons (upgraded from previously builded galleys) to make GREAT invansions. This is demigod. Small invasion is dead invasion.

Boy, the grass sure doesn't grow under your feet! :lol:

This is looking really good so far. I'm signed in now and ready to read any time you post!

hi aabra, already another game? take my DOS (declaration of subscription).

i downloaded the file and will post more in case i have anything meaningful to say.

well, that looks like a very nice course for your first DG victory.

a few ideas:
1. trade more. ok, the ai has no money for your techs. but try and invest only 5gpt and you´ll be able to gain 2 luxes (from the Celts,eg) - if you get enough luxes and you can set the lux slider to zero, this would net you about 50 gpt!
2. for this, you´ll have to build markets. you hardly have any. this already costs you loads of money plus causes a happiness issue you needn´t have.
3. i don´t really understand the granary build in your capital. what are you going to do with it - build settlers from there again?
4. i think your next war against the Yanks should move the borders to the 2nd choke point, at least. all of the American cities are built on plain ground, which is good luck. and they defend with reg spears :rolleyes:
5. before you´ll want to invade another continent, better trigger world war. most of the AIs each own their continent. that doesn´t make life easier. therefore, make good use of the diplomacy potential.

the one important input for your question you have not delivered is, how do you want to win this? by conquest, like last time? your chosen VC will make a big difference of how to continue from here in this game.
space race would be a very secure way of winning this one.

Interesting shaped landmass, I've never seen such a long peninsula ever come up in any of my games.

Good luck. I always wanted to move on but never had the heart or the time.

You might be expecting a Demigod SG from me in the coming months, So keep your eyes open.

Agree with Overseer about a wierd landmass

the one important input for your question you have not delivered is, how do you want to win this? by conquest, like last time? your chosen VC will make a big difference of how to continue from here in this game.
space race would be a very secure way of winning this one.
templar_x, thanks for the suggestions. Next time I load it up, I'll take a closer look in light of those. As for the granary, yes, I was planning to pump some settlers from there. I feel like I've got the firepower to push the American borders back and I will need settlers to fill in the spaces before someone else does. But yeah, I do need some markets.

How do I want to win? I'll take anything I can get. My preferred route would be military, probably by domination.

Overseer -- yeah, that is an odd peninsula. It made war on the Mongols easy, though.

Chapter 3: The Second American War

It took me a while, but I finally found some time to pick this up again. I looked over everything, and checked out diplomacy. Looking at the trade screen, I could pick up some luxes from the celts, but it looks like my trade routes will be cut as soon as I DOW Abe. Think I'll skip those trades for now. I decide to go ahead and finish the granary in Aabraxa.

After some looking around, I make the following trades:
Spoiler :

Even two extra luxes is not enough to drop the lux slider for my largest towns, so I go back to the trading table again:

Spoiler :

In 410 AD, Isabella comes calling. She wants an alliance against the Russians and an ROP. I politely decline. That same year, The Forbidden Palace is completed in Grand River.

My PT with Abe expires and I waste no time. First, I demand his whole 5 gold. He declines & I DOW.

Spoiler :

420 AD
Los Angeles is razed.
Cleveland is razed.
I round up 3-4 more American slaves.
Philadelphia is razed.

430 AD
The Americans settle Kansas City immediately adjacent to the ruins of old Philadelphia & right next to one of my stacks of knights.
Kansas City is destroyed.
During the attack on Washington, I finally get an MGL!

For the first time, I actually rename the MW. I name it Shenandoah after the MGL it drew.
The Celts complete Sun Tzu's Art of War at Entremont (on another landmass).

440 AD
Shenandoah builds the First Knight Army.
New York is razed.
My offensive stalls when The Invincible Spearman shows up in Washington, but it's not enough to make peace.

450 AD
Washington falls and the Mausolleum of Mausollos with it. I raze the city and that Mausolleum is lost to humanity.

At this point, I have pushed the Americans almost back to the second choke. Now that I have a knight army in the field, I think their subjugation will go much faster. I know it was a short set, but RL's been insanely busy lately. Here's the save if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• Hiawatha of the Iroquois, 450 AD.SAV
    243.3 KB · Views: 74
Exxxxcellent, Smithers! Put those Yanks in their place, Abbraxa! But -grrrr-- to those AIs making you give up techs just to swap a couple lousy luxuries with ya. As if they ain't getting the same benefit out of the deal. This is just more confirmation to my theory that modern capitalisto-communist China in the RW is being run by a Civ3 AI (probably Hiawatha).

How do I subscribe to a thread? This one's a keeper.

PS, as a longtime monarchy player who's only played on the harder levels just for the experience of watching my caboose get kicked by a computer, let me just say this about you taking on (and even out performing) civs in demigod...

:bowdown: :bowdown: We're not worthy!

Posted to subscribe and to cheer you on. :D

Thanks, gma. Always a pleasure to have you along.

I did get a few hours to play, which took me up to 570 AD. I don't have time to post a full-fledged turnlog, but, for those of you who want a peek at what happened:

Spoiler :
  • I pushed the Americans back to the second choke, which was only a couple more cities.
  • The Celts declared war on me.
  • I discovered Gunpowder.
  • I do not have any saltpeter.
  • The Americans do have saltpeter, and it's not far from my borders.

How do I subscribe to a thread? This one's a keeper.
At the top of each page where the actual thread posts start is a little box named "Thread Tools". In it is a place where you can subscribe to a thread without having to post in the thread.

I know that sounds sort of garbled, but it is far easier to do than explain.

~~~

I subscribed a while back. I haven't played a solo game above Monarchy, so this will be instructive. Plus, Aabraxan tells a good tale.

Chapter 4: American & Celtic Entanglements

450 AD:
A galley heads south out of Houston. Otherwise, no significant AI activity. My people want me to build the Heroic Epic. I will, in time, but not right now. Forces are still not at "overwhelming" status, so I need more.

460 AD:
A whole lotta troop shuffling going on this turn. It's not until the IBT that things get interesting. There's unclaimed land, so I have visitors & the Americans are still trying to rebuild.
Spoiler :

I might, & I stress "might," be able to take on a second front against the Celts. A smarter move might be to ally the Amis against the Celts, but I'm afraid that the Celts would just chew the Amis up and spit them out, resulting in an even stronger Celtic threat. For now, I think I'll just work around them.

470 AD:
The Americans approach me for peace & they'll even give me Denver for it. My forces are right out side Houston (the American capital), so I'm not quite done pounding on them. I decline.

480 AD:
Nothing remarkable. Found one town, continue to prepare for the assault on Houston. Continue to :gripe: about the celts settling in land that I sooooo conveniently cleared for them. That's OK. I'll deal with that later. I also see some action in the Russian-Spanish war.

490 AD:
The Americans are building the Knights Templar. All the more reason to keep pounding them.

500 AD:
I finally launch the assault on Houston. The first few pikes fall with relative ease. Then, of course, Iron Pikeman shows up and the battle gets costly. 3 knights die on the pike. Nonetheless, I persist.
Spoiler :

On the IBT, Brennus shows up, demanding gold.
Spoiler :

A quick consultation with my military advisor tells me that, compared to Brennus, I have "an average military." OK. At Demigod, if I'm even close enough to be average, that's better than I'd have expected. One unfortunate aspect of my situtation right now is that Brennus has Gunpowder as a monopoly.

I decline Brennus' demands.
Spoiler :

I think now is the time to make peace with Abe and see if I can throw in an MA to engineer more war happiness in the future.

Unexpectedly, Isabella shows up, making demands of her own.
Spoiler :

Hmmm. . . another quick check with the Mil. Adv. tells me that I'm strong compared to the Spanish. If they don't have horses, I can't say that I'm really interested in giving them any. Besides, I could use some extra WH to offset the WW that I fear is coming at the hands of the Celts. I decline. Isabella goes away, but doesn't DOW me.

On the IBT, a galley of mine, sitting in American waters is hit by bombardment from an invisible enemy!!!

On the other hand, I decide to go see Abe & bury the hatchet. Here's the deal I cut.
Spoiler :

520 AD:
Obviously, I messed up that whole turn-counting thing again. :blush: Anyway, in 520 AD, I destroyed both celtic cities in formerly American land. As the Celts are mostly on another landmass, and on the other side of the 'Muricans, I'll probably just let them slug it out while I get my forces together for another push against Abe and get some settlers out into this open land.

I've begun the process of paring down all those spears & pikes that I built. It makes me very nervous at this level. I keep thinking, "What if the AI suddenly lands a large stack of knights?" At Emp & below, I know better. This isn't Emp & below, though. I'm currently allowed 42 units and I have 74, so I'm paying 64 gpt in support. I'd like to trim that and I will, over time. The other obvious issue here is that I need to put more cities down.

IBT:
The Celtic city of Verulamium completes the Sistine Chapel.

530 AD:
Pretty boring turn. Moving troops to intercept Celtic landings that never occur, upgrade a couple of units.

Gunpowder comes in. I start Chemistry.
Americans finish Knights Templar. Crap.
The Spanish begin Leo's.

540 AD:
Go on the hunt for saltpeter. I do not have Saltpeter. Looks like the Americans have the closest source.
Spoiler :

I've got 17 turns left in my PT/MA with Abe. That's enough time to build up a force sufficient to take that salt, right? Besides, Abe can't use it yet, because he doesn't have Gunpowder. I'd sure like to take it before he can build any muskets. Pikes have been hard enough on my troops.

550 AD:
More cities founded, no battles fought.

560 & 570 AD:
Egypt comes sniffing around my coastline. I think they want some of this empty property, too. I station units at Chokepoint Charlie (where the Americans come through) and seal them in. If they want any more of this land, they'll have to load a galley to do it.

And here ends Chapter 4. So far, I'm pretty happy with this. I've made it to 570 AD and I'm still alive. That's pretty good for me. I feel pretty confident that I can take the Americans down, but it might take me 2 more wars to do it. Whether or not I can keep up with the AIs technologically, or whether I can survive beyond that remains to be seen.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Hiawatha of the Iroquois, 570 AD.SAV
    252.8 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom