1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

aaglo's lottery/deli line (June 22nd, 2005)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by aaglo, Jun 22, 2005.

1. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

In addition to the two man team, can you give him a smaller weapon (M-16) and release a single-man unit? I know that this is in addition to the original winning request, but this unit is too good and could be an excellent alternative for a standard modern infantry. Excellent work on the camo btw.

2. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

The way Wyrmshadow described it is how it actually works. He must have cheated and peeked at a real MG team.
    If the aide gunner is a strong guy, and the distance is short he would carry the tripod in his arms though.

3. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

or do this

4. Nate1976

Nate1976 Just Plain Wierd

EDIT: I feel really stupid for postnig this past the date...sorry.

5. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

The lottery's been over for a whille now. ;)

The unit previews above is the winning unit.

Edit: NVM, you beat me too it.

6. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

The camo looks really good, aaglo. Sort of reminds me of the old version of Italian Desert Camo.

7. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Thanks for all the comments :)

Things you should know :) about this unit on the make:
    - It'll have both this gunner and ammunition-guy
    - I think (for keeping the animations in achievable level) I'll keep the gun (and tripod) as they are, and give the ammo-guy a crap-load of bullets to carry, then you won't be complaining about the weight of that M2 anymore :lol:
    - I think I won't be making an M-16 individual (as a spinoff from this). Why? Because the vanilla-marine is (supposed) to be just that.

8. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

Bravo aaglo. Sometimes you need to put your foot down and tell someone NO.

9. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

So, here's update. Some questions about it:

- I thought about keeping on the lid of the ammo box in most flc's. What do you think, should the box be closed (and opened in fortify), or should it be open all the time (with some lame belt of bullets hanging over the edge of the box - rambo-style)?

- That's how we carried ammo boxes in the army - I don't know how they do it in US-army. And that's what the ammo-boxes looked like - wooden boxes painted green.

- Should the soldiers be closer/further apart? Now the ammo-guy is a bit foward from the gunner, I hope that's all right?

10. El Justo

El Justo Deity

this unit is really shaping up aaglo.

i like the 'open & closed' suggestion but wouldn't raise a stink if it was the other. rambo was pretty cool after all.

i think the distance between the 2 of them is great so long as the dudes don't overflow into adjacent squares (in-game).

11. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Short version: Lookc great, you don't need to change a thing.

Actual answers:
    I don't know how they do it in the US-Army either. But in the US Marines we kept our ammo clean (lid closed). I suggest that you follow what sounds like your first instinct and only open the box for fortify/attact. But open all the time would look quite cool too, with the ammo belts swinging around as they move.
    USMC ammo boxes are mostly metal (I think some might be wood), MG ammo boxs are all metal. but the box details in your preview looks fine.
    I think their distance is fine. I don't think it matters much. I leave that level of detail to the artists discretion.

ps: US Army != USMC

12. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

Cool! :) Looks good.

13. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

Very nice... and now you're going to release this guy before I can even get a preview of the unit that won in my lottery... You shame me sir :D

The ammo guy should be ahead of the other, since the one carrying the gun is loaded down with more weight he's lagging behind.

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Looks really great so far!

How about moving the Civ-coloring to a shoulder arm-patch, and just color the backpack straps dark green/black? France's pink straps will kind of funny.

These days, a unit/nation patch is usually on the shoulder, so that change would be kind of realistic.

15. Kal-el

Kal-el Deity

Then you better get crackin' mister! :whipped: ;)

16. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

You're right about that it would look better, but I think it would be impossible to see at civ scale.

17. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Yeah but the mondern camo is:

A) Far cooler looking :cool:

B) Far better at concleament. :p

18. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

I'll grant you B. Not so sure at A. Either way, if it were too good at concealing the unit, it would be a shame. Beautiful work as always by Aaglo here.

19. Risbinroch

Risbinroch Prince

This is just amazing stuff. Can't believe this is done in PovRay, you really should make more human units!

About spin-offs: What about different camo/skin versions? And this unit looks more modern than the firaxis marine (which to mee look a bit 70/80s) - a guy like this with a generic rifle would be great as a modern marine? Perhaps a heavier backpack or some other variations aswell.

20. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Dude, that MG crew is friggin' awesome, and will be replacing the Marines in my Tweaked Out mod (an update of which I'll release when I'm darn good and ready).