Ab-HEX-NotW-NES-Thing Discussion/Development Thread

Abaddon

Deity
Ab-HEX-NotW-NES-Thing!​

Has been revived in 2011

Palm Boulevard Sands

Once a 1950's boom town on the industrial east coast, by 1996 it finds itself falling into serious decline. Virtually forgotten until now by the government, various factions jostle daily in attempts to fill the power vacuum. The day by day struggles for the local populace are irrelevant to these power-hungry individuals. Church ministers pay gangs to rough up communities who have low attendances to mass, Politicians bribe one another, the Police are corrupt, Gang-bangers and pimps flout their wares openly on street corners.

Yes, Palm Boulevard Sands is not what it used to be, and this was before the Zombie Monsters. Oh, I didn't mention them? Well it seems one of the vaccines administered in our hospitals to young mums has gone disastrously wrong. The Mothers, now mutated, along with their "spawn", hideously deformed, shunning the light and craving braaaaaiiinz. During the day they hide in the sewers, at night, they come out to hunt.

Upon discovering this, the government reacted. The city was placed in a lockdown with the only exits blockaded. There had been one attempt to nuke the monsters, alas in some comic-book-esc twist, that merely created mutants who were unafraid of the darkness.

There have been whisperings that someone is controlling the Zombie Monsters, vicious accusations bound back and forth. The army is limited in what it can do, especially with such and unclear picture. A single daily strike is possible and information may be gathered from this strike. Too chicken to pull the trigger himself, the President has asked for the various leaders to decide where to strike. Each day, until it is discovered who controls the zombies are destroyed, a specified area will be razed and sterilised.

----------------------------------------

Economy:
Rather than money or credits or other such nonsense your faction’s income will be determined by its influence in the city. The more influence you have the more you can recruit to your side and launch operations. Every hex you control is worth 1 influence except for special territories listed later.

Forces:
There is no military per se, however you will be able to buy subordinates with your influence and arm them if you’d like (if you’re humans). Normal movement is 3 hexes per turn.
10 influence nets you:

Humans:
20 Citizens (all): A: 1, D: 2, HP: 1.
10 Thugs (gangs), A: 2, D: 1, HP: 1
10 Police Officers (Police), A: 2, D: 2, HP: 1
10 Soldiers (Army), A: 2 D: 3 HP: 1
10 Mercenaries (Corporate), A: 3, D: 2, HP: 1

-Arms:
20 Pistols: +1 A&D
10 Shotguns: +1 A, + 2D
10 Submachine Guns: +2A, +1D
10 Assault Rifles (20 influence): +2A, +2D
10 Vests: +1 HP

-Vehicles:
10 Bikes: Increases movement per turn 1 hex for 10 people.
2 Trucks (20 influence): Increases movement per turn 2 hexes for 10 people.
2 Humvee (Army, 30 influence): Increases movement per turn 2 hexes for 10 people (increases HP by 1)

Note: humans get -1A and D at night unless their territory includes a power station.

Non-Humans
20 Zombies: A:1, D: 1, HP: 2
10 Fast Zombies: A: 2, D: 1, HP: 2 (moves an extra hex per turn)
10 Lumberers: A: 1, D: 2, HP: 2 (moves one less hex per turn)
10 Mutants (Mutants): A: 2, D: 2, HP: 2

In addition it costs 40 influence to create a new “force” which is represent with a number on the map. You will need enough vehicles in a force to cover all people in order for the force to move at that increases rate.

Force Moods
Each turn you can set the "mood" for a force either as "Engage" or "Avoid." This will determine how battles are set up if two forces meet on the same movement point. If both are engaging, battle will ensue, if one is engaged, and another avoid the avoiding will be treated as a defender. If both are avoid, they will slip past each other, with a coin toss to decide who gains control of the Hex

Battles:
Battles are based on a 6-sided die. If you have 10 citizens they will require a roll of 1 to land a hit on attack and 2 on defense. Arm them with shotguns and now its 2 or below on attack and 4 or below on defence. When you land a hit you remove 1 HP from an opposing unit of 10 whatevers. A sample battle may be as such:

Round 1:
10 Police Officers armed with Shotguns (defense) vs 20 Zombies (attack)
-Humans roll a 3, hit.
-Zombies roll a 5 and 4, no hits.
-Zombie unit 1 loses 1HP

Round 2:
-Humans roll 2, hit.
-Zombies roll a 3 and 2, no hits.
-Zombie unit 1 loses 1HP and is eliminated.

Round 3:
-Humans roll 1, hit.
-Zombies roll a 1.
-Zombie unit 2 loses 1 HP, Human unit 1 has his brains eaten.

Zombies win the battle with 1 unit at half health left. Please note the above order of defender and attacker doesn’t matter, its possible for both forces to wipe each other out.

Spoiler Special Territories: :

Base: +2 additional influence,
Police: +1 additional influence
Hospital: +1 additional influence.
Metro: Hexes with Metros can be considered adjacent
Government: +2 additional influence
Church: +1 additional influence
Dock: Allows travel between islands.
Power Station: +1 additional influence, linked hexes aren’t affected by night
Towerblock: +1 additional influence
Supermarket: +2 additional influence
Biohazard: Cannot be entered.

Each faction will have small goals, and game winning goals. Small goals will change as they are achieved, gaining a small influence boost each time. If a faction managed to complete its GWG, they have won the game. SG's will be visible, GWG's will be secretly pm'd. Its up to you who you share your information with. Those playing as the same faction are expected to work together to achieve their united goal and influence can be shared.

Several (I will not say how many) will secretly be picked to control the Zombies.

The game will run like this:

Phase1 (NES-lite) Daytime. You get to move your faction around. You expand, gaining influence (influence buys more power/units etc)

Phase 2(NotW-lite) It is Night, the Zombies are out, moving and destroying, controlled by a secret hand(s).

Phase 3 (NotW-lite) Daytime. This is the same as phase 1 except now you have to decide who to scapegoat and get the Army to attack. You have to vote who you think is controlling Zombies. They will be fire-bombed (5 Hex destroyed). It will be revealed if they indeed controlled the zombies.

This NES combines Warman17's HexNES1: City of the Dead with Forum Game's Night of the Werewolf.

Spoiler Factions: :

Survivors
Goal: Take control of some landmark as a base of operations.
Win: Will be pm'd
Background: This band of humans has decided to band together in the face of impending doom.

Police
Goal: Subdue an enemy force in the name of the Law.
Background: Maintainers of law and order before the outbreak.

Corporate
Goal: Take control of a building
Background: A wealthy organization owning businesses ranging from electricity to stock brokerage to bioengineering.

National Guard
Goal: Make contact with infected.
Background: Heavily armed men brought in by higher authorities to contain the situation.

Mayor
Goal: Link the two Government buildings
Background: Politician hoping to use the power of his office for good or ill during this crisis.

Church
Goal: Create a connection between 2 congregations.
Background: Religious figures who wield a mighty sway over their flock.

Street Gang
Goal: Defeat the Police in battle
Background: Powerful street gang located in western Marina City.

Zombie Horde
Goal: Braaaaiiinnns [take control of 15 hexes]
Background: Braaaaiiinnns

Mutants
Goal: Gain complete control of the small island.
Background: Zombies somehow mutated to a more powerful form. Has shown potential for antagonistic behavior towards normal zombies.

Spoiler Map :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

- First of all, don't let a bomb reveal whether someone controls zombies. Voting on the bombs is a really good idea, but let them have only the bombing effect.
- To reveal if someone controls the zombies, you must capture their headquarters. Obviously that means adding explicit HQs to the map. That will tell you if they controlled the zombies, and you can do what you want with that info (or fabricate something).
- Only if a faction is killed completely will it become public knowledge whether they controlled the zombies or not.

"Innocents" win if the zombie-controlling faction(s) are eliminated. "Zombies" win if the zombie-controlling factions fulfil their evil goal (which could be as simple as controlling half the map, which would let them overrun the innocents easily after that). Each faction has a separate goal, and like in NotW the real winners are those that are both on the victorious side and complete their goal.

This is definitely something I'd be interested in... not too familiar with HexNES though. Whether or not I actually participate depends on how complicated it gets.

Well HexNes is only a few hours old, so I doubt anyone is!

BUT, I liked the idea for its simplicity and controlled situation. Easier to add NotW style voting to that than any other NES I have come across.

Actually NES side of things will be pretty lite. Expansion, goals, survive will be the name of the game!

hmmmm..... a NoTW NES? I may be interested in this, so this is a tentative sign up to see how you pull this off.

Stats

Mayor / Boundless
Influence: 3
Forces:
10 Police Officers
Background: Politician hoping to use the power of his office for good or ill during this crisis.

Corporate 1/ Merciary
Forces:
10 Mercenaries
Background: A wealthy organization owning businesses ranging from electricity to stock brokerage to bioengineering.

Corporation 2/
Forces:
10 Mercenaries

Corporation 3/
Forces:
10 Mercenaries

Corporation 4/
Forces:
10 Mercenaries

Survivors 1 / EnglishCrusader
Forces:
20 Citizens
Background: This band of humans has decided to band together in the face of impending doom.

Survivors 2
Forces:
20 Citizens

Survivors 3
Forces:
20 Citizens

Survivors 4
Forces:
20 Citizens

Police
Background: Maintainers of law and order before the outbreak.

National Guard
Background: Heavily armed men brought in by higher authorities to contain the situation.

Church
Background: Religious figures who wield a mighty sway over their flock.

Street Gang
Background: Powerful street gang located in western Marina City.

Zombie Horde
Background: Braaaaiiinnns

Mutants
Background: Zombies somehow mutated to a more powerful form. Has shown potential for antagonistic behavior towards normal zombies.[/spoiler]

Sounds like an interesting concept, but it's hard to comment without at least a little bit more structure. I'll keep an eye on it for sure though. ;)

Well, I have a slight idea on how to do this:

Instead of having a clear "survivors" group or a clear controlled group zombie, have each player be a faction that may of caused and currently control the zombies, some examples could be X corporation, military, terrorist, religious extremist, etc.

During the day turns all players runs their "public" faction and votes on whatever you plan on having the voting on (I doubt a NoTW type death votes).

During the night turns the players who have them control their hidden factions (zombies, maybe other, don't know what you have planned).

The goal of the "innocent" factions would be to uncover who created the zombies and controls them. As well as any other goals you'd like to tack along.

What do you think?

Ok. I'm going to grab a second post. 13 people have looked so far to no comment!

1. There will be a Night and Day cycle of updates, with secret abilities that come out to play at night!

Wow Abaddon, did you come up with that idea all by yourself? :p

Oy! Not everyone is so aware of NotW, i'm throwing out as much as I can think here with the hope of drawing ideas into the light!

:p

Zombies, have infested the metro, an can pop-up and attack anywhere. Who is controlling their attacks? Vote who's base gets firebombed by the government!?

The firebomb will not kill a player, but it will seriously hinder them (lose 7 hex?)

After the bomb, it will be revealled if they had control or not?

Especially complex NoTW's are already close to NES. Mechanics like food, goals, expansion shouldn't be too hard to add into a NoTW framework...

I agree.

Trying to balance the two elements, keeping both still relevant is a grind :(

You undoubtfully also get players who have no experience with either NOTW's or NES's. Probably important to keep in mind, I for one have never played a NES (even not sure if you play them).

You undoubtfully also get players who have no experience with either NOTW's or NES's. Probably important to keep in mind, I for one have never played a NES (even not sure if you play them).

Very true. I plan to try and keep them as simple as possible without harming the quality.

I am playing in my First NotW, but have considerable NESing experience.

Begone Troll! ;)

A NotW in the NES forum ? Why not ?
People are very smart around here, so it should be fun.

But what you want really (correct me if I'm wrong), is a survival strategy/RP game where people vote against one another, right ?
So neither a Nes, nor a 'pure' NotW ;).

NES Goals (Capture this, grow that big, etc, BIG long term "WIN")
NotW Style Votes to influence the game. (Who gets bombed, who zombies attack, who gets aide etc)

The votes will be NASTY to ensure everyone get involved!

Indeed, with some of the scheming and pride at stake, should be fun times! :D

Top Bottom