Ability to manually micromanage amenities

Do you guys think you want this to be a feature? Or it will be too much of a hassle to move around all those amenities?
It would be great if it was possible to manually micromanage amenities. Especially in the early stages of a game. Lateron microing amenities might become a hassle. Thus having an option (automated - manually) would be great (similar to the placement of citizens in the city screen, only on a state level and for amenities).

It would definitely be interesting to make sure the cap/high-prod cities are getting the largest bonus yields from possible from +amenities.

On the other hand, it may be unbalancing because you could settle crap 1-pop cities on luxuries without the intention to ever develop them.

Not that there's anything wrong with the concept of "global happiness" as a gameplay mechanic anyway. As long as the system creates problems for the player that they can actively work against instead of just hardcapping them it's perfectly fine. Seems to be doing exactly that, so fine with me. Time will tell whether greater levels of optimization will run into problems, but I think the system is very much built around the idea of being able to respond by investing instead of forced stagnation.

I agree. Only thing I really would indeed like to micromanage would be a "lock cities amenity level at X" flag to be able to prevent the automatic distribution to send a huge amount of amenities where I do not want them to be. If I want to push my amenities into a prospering capital instead of my far away colonies, this should be a valid option (and maybe lead to rebellions in later stages of the game :D )

It would definitely be interesting to make sure the cap/high-prod cities are getting the largest bonus yields from possible from +amenities.

On the other hand, it may be unbalancing because you could settle crap 1-pop cities on luxuries without the intention to ever develop them.

And why is that bad ? It would be kind of a trading settlement.

And why is that bad ? It would be kind of a trading settlement.

But there are very few limits to expansion in the game, and I do think this is one that could create an interesting tradeoff. Do I want the extra cities in exchange for less efficient core cities? Or possibly first secure extra amenities, and settle later?

The real kicker is a well placed Entertainment district. The 2nd and 3rd buildings in it give +1 and +2 amenities (3 total) in a 6 tile radius as well as 2 to the host city. Its easy enough to hit 3 cities with this and if planned well 4. That is a huge spike up just for one fully built district.

You can still do that and it would always be a net gain to your amenities. Let's say all of your cities are at +2 amenities and you want +3 for ecstatic. Settle a city by a luxury resource and it gets to the average +2 with two amenities, the other two are directed at larger cities to make them +3. Then you can choose not to grow your settled city, if you don't want it to consume more amenities.

Top Bottom