Abortion Clinic Workers Found Guilty of Stabbing Babies

Linkman226

#anarchy
Full article

Two abortion clinic workers from Philadelphia, today pleaded guilty to third-degree murders following the multiple deaths of several infants at a clinic where seven babies were allegedly born alive, then killed with scissors, whilst a patient died from an overdose of painkillers.
Andrea Moton, 34, admitted her involvement in the stabbing death of one late-term baby that she pulled from a toilet where it had been delivered.
Sherry West, 52, pleaded guilty in the February 2009 death of Karnamaya Mongar, a Bhutanese immigrant who was 19 weeks pregnant.

Neither worker was trained or licensed for the work they did at the clinic run by Dr. Kermit Gosnell, authorities said.
Gosnell and nine employees, including his wife, were charged earlier this year after a grand jury report detailed the macabre conditions at the West Philadelphia clinic.

Gosnell, the only doctor, and other staff are accused of performing illegal late-term abortions and killing babies born alive by severing their spinal cords with scissors.
Gosnell, who denies the allegations, is being held on $2 million bail.

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams called the clinic a "house of horrors" in announcing the charges in January.
Moton, of Upper Darby, knew Gosnell through his niece. She worked evenings to assist with abortions, but, like the others, had no relevant training or license.
She assisted with procedures and cut the spinal cords of aborted babies, the grand jury report said.

Moton and West each pleaded guilty to related charges, including taking part in a corrupt organization. West also pleaded guilty to drug delivery causing death.
West, of Newark, Del., may have administered at least some of the fatal dose of Demerol that killed 41-year-old Mongar in November 2009, defense lawyer Michael Wallace said after the hearing.
However, he noted that she was the only clinic employee to accompany Mongar to the hospital as she was dying.
According to the grand jury report, West and co-defendant Lynda Williams overmedicated the 4-foot-11, 110-pound Mongar when Gosnell was not at the clinic.
West then grabbed her medical file and rode to the hospital with Mongar's family, who spoke little or no English.
'West told them that Mrs. Mongar was unconscious, but not to worry,' the grand jury report said.
The medical file was altered by the time hospital doctors got it, and 'grossly underestimated' the amount of drugs the woman had received, the report said.
'She's very sorry about the death of that young lady,' Wallace said Thursday.
'She got caught up in a series of things (at the clinic) that probably she did not realize the significance of.'

West was a longtime patient who sought work at the clinic after 22 years with the Veterans Administration, he said. She lost her job there after contracting hepatitis C, the grand jury report said.
She started at Gosnell's clinic in October 2008, making $8 to $10 an hour in cash to perform ultrasound exams, administer anesthesia and monitor patients in the medical room.
Prosecutors said she was not licensed or trained to perform those duties, but Wallace disputed that.
'She was doing the same things she was doing at the VA,' he said.

West has been in custody on $2 million bail since her arrest in January. She has been cooperating and will continue to do so, even if it means testifying against Gosnell, Wallace said. Gosnell's lawyer did not return a call for comment.
West faces up to 140 years in prison but would likely get far less time given that cooperation.
'She knows she will do time,' Wallace said.
Staff had warned Gosnell that West and Williams were sloppy and careless with their work, the grand jury report said.
Despite her hepatitis, West often did not wear gloves or take other precautions, and they were haphazard about the amount of drugs given to patients, the report said.
Moton faces up to 120 years in prison. She was one of three employees who were so startled by the size of a nearly 30-week fetus allegedly born alive and killed that they each took pictures of the infant. Moton gave her cellphone photo to the FBI, the grand jury report said.
Neither prosecutors nor her lawyer, Thomas L. McGill Jr., commented after the hearing, citing a gag order.
Ten clinic workers were charged in all in the case. In addition to the pleas entered Thursday, clinic worker Elizabeth Hampton has pleaded guilty to a perjury charge.
Seven others are still awaiting trial, including Gosnell and several others charged with murder.

What I don't get is this: Why is it that just a few weeks before the murder, when the baby was still within the womb, this would have been labelled as 'abortion', but afterwards was labelled as 'murder'? Isn't that an arbitrary division?

Full article

What I don't get is this: Why is it that just a few weeks before the murder, when the baby was still within the womb, this would have been labelled as 'abortion', but afterwards was labelled as 'murder'? Isn't that an arbitrary division?

The fetus was potentially viable, thus the murder charge.

It isn't murder, it's abortion. If she went in for an abortion and the babies came out alive, it is still within their rights to abort it.

None of this makes sense. Did these women come to the hospital with their already born babies? Did the hospital just wait too long to do the abortion? There are actually people named Kermit?

Besides all this, there was a grown woman killed by an overdose of demerol.

The fetus was potentially viable, thus the murder charge.

And how does one determine viability when the baby's still inside the womb?

It isn't murder, it's abortion. If she went in for an abortion and the babies came out alive, it is still within their rights to abort it.

Where do you draw the line then? Can't I say that I mean to abort my thirty-year old child but never got around to it, so let me cut his spine in half with a pair of scissors?

What's arbitrary about it? There's a very clear division: the vaginal passageway.

Now, then, this clearly is murder as the babies are alive and well and fully-developed; late term abortions are an even fuzzier grey area than abortion in general.

As a general rule, fetuses that aren't yet "fully-developed" as human babies generally aren't considered as such, and fully-developed usually comes with being late in the pregnancy. Although this article does raise the issue of where to draw the line into light. Ultimately, as long as the baby is part of the mother, it is my position that the mother gets the final say.

Actually, that isn't what a partial birth abortion is. And they have been illegal in the US since 2003:

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act

The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 (Pub.L. 108-105, 117 Stat. 1201, enacted November 5, 2003, 18 U.S.C. § 1531,[1] PBA Ban) is a United States law prohibiting a form of late-term abortion that the Act calls "partial-birth abortion", often referred to in medical literature as intact dilation and extraction.[2] Under this law, "Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both." The law was enacted in 2003, and in 2007 its constitutionality was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.

Intact dilation and extraction

Intact dilation and extraction (IDX) is a procedure done in late term abortion. It is also known as intact dilation and evacuation, dilation and extraction (D&X, or DNX), intrauterine cranial decompression and, vernacularly in the United States, as partial birth abortion. The procedure may also be used to remove a fetus that is developed enough to require dilation of the cervix for its extraction.[1]

Though the procedure has had a low rate of use, representing 0.17% (2,232 of 1,313,000) of all abortions in the United States in the year 2000, according to voluntary responses to an Alan Guttmacher Institute survey,[2] it has developed into a focal point of the abortion debate. In the United States, intact dilation and extraction was made illegal in most circumstances by the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, which the U.S. Supreme Court upheld in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.

And how does one determine viability when the baby's still inside the womb?

Hell if I know the answer to that. What I do know is that late-term abortions and cases like this aren't a representative sample of abortion. Many pro-lifers will point to the most egregious cases and try to use them to argue against abortion as a whole.

Nah, I'm still okay with abortions, let them continue.

Ultimately, as long as the baby is part of the mother, it is my position that the mother gets the final say.

So you would be fine for a mother to terminate her unborn child 1 day prior to her due date?

Severing babies' spinal cords with scissors? Those criminals aren't humans, they're rabid animals. What a sick disgusting world we live in.

Even still, this doesn't taint the Pro-Choice movement, unless of course you're willing to concede that Tiller's murder taints the Pro-life movement...

What's arbitrary about it? There's a very clear division: the vaginal passageway.

What about the vaginal passageway suddenly makes a being waorthy of the right to life?

Even still, this doesn't taint the Pro-Choice movement, unless of course you're willing to concede that Tiller's murder taints the Pro-life movement...

I'm not saying it does. Just that this is logically inconsistent.

If it's born alive and in a reasonably healthy state why don't they just take it to be adopted?

Gross.

Top Bottom