1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

About advertising on the mod development...

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by dbkblk, Jun 21, 2014.

1. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

About communication:
    While developped by many talented amateurs, i've noticed that several websites lack on advertising about this mod. I think we should keep an eye on main websites to get people informed about what is done.
    I don't want to create the team an additionnal load but it should be nice to write a small article at a defined frequency (like every 2 months). I've came up to this idea while looking at moddb and desura where some comments noticed that the development has stopped on this mod. Many seems to stop on the idea that Afforess has quit in 2012 and the mod is dead ! This is not true ! (and even more false now that Afforess is back :)).

I would like our community to take an inventory of the main websites that talk about our mod in this thread, so we can easily keep an eye on them. I will update the list once you post a new website.

Then, we should select 4 or 5 websites and update description / publish an article on these to make an emulsion around the mod !

Website list :

2. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

This topic has not seen any interest but i still think the mod has to get a presentation website with features and illustrations. All the greatest mods or independant games have one.
    As i've done the website of my engineering SMB, i can handle the creation of a small page to ease the promotion of the mod.
    It should show:
    - Main features (with screenshots)
    - How to install
    - Credits
    - A link to the forum
    - A integration of the translation platform ?
    - Tips and tricks ?

It already exists on the forum but informations are scattered everywhere so this is not easy to get it.

Main great mods / indep websites examples:
    - Eastern Front (Company of Heroes mod)
    - OpenTTD
    - Civilization V communitas (this one may not be enough clean)

EDIT: THIS IS DONE NOW: http://anewdawn.sourceforge.net/

3. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

With Moddb & Desura (they are practically the same thing), they have a limit on the amount of content that can be used on the main page of the mod description, I am already pretty near the limit. I uploaded a copy of the offline installer a few months back, but I am thinking it may be time to switch those sites to use the new online installer. What do you think dbkblk?

4. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

Yes, i think this is quite stable. As i have commands to put executables on sourceforge, i can easily publish an hotfix or whatever.

This link will always be the latest version of the installer.

About Moddb and Desura, i can write a resume that shows only feature headlines, then which redirects to the website. The offline installer is also mentionned in the installation page.

On Moddb, could you make a download a redirection of the sourceforge link or do you have to upload a file ? If so, that would be the better way, otherwise i can build a complete installer version (launcher + the whole mod content) of revision 868. That's easy to do.

5. Afforess

Moddb requires that I upload a file, so if you built out a complete installer that would be great.

If you also want to write up a better outline for Moddb/Desura, go ahead.

6. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

Ok, i'm packing up the latest revision and will upload it on the server. I a slow upload so it should take a while :king:

7. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

@Afforess: Here is a zip containing a resume written in HTML for Moddb. I thought it was nice to also set the icon and the banner on the moddb project page, so i zipped them for convenience. Please check for spelling mistakes. This is just a concentrate of what the website shows.
    (I'm finishing to check the full installer, then i'll start uploading)

8. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

9. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Warlord

I think if someone made a comprehensive post on /r/4xgaming that would go a long way advertising the mod directly to an audience who is interested.

10. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

I don't really know reddit. I guess you have to write an article on another website then point it on reddit ?
    Anyway, that is a good idea ! (First post updated)

EDIT: Ok, text can be written so i'll wait for Afforess correction then i'll copy/past moddb text.

11. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

12. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

I mentionned the xUPT on reddit again, to inform that about the new features!

13. Afforess

I did update moddb with your description and images.

14. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

Yes i saw that on Trello and answered you. Thank you! We've jumped to the 230th position yesterday on moddb!