About coal and water plant places

MadScotsMan

The Ruler of Cattle
Okay, so when I can build hydro plants, I do. But after they are built, I can build coal plants. I build a coal plant. Then I can build a hydro plant again. The process just repeats itself because I have n othing else to build. So, is the constant switching bad, and was it fixed in a later patch, and what the hell is it?

this is on my regular civ 3, not the Complete, but I havent gotten far enough since I bought that to see if it does the same thing.

They are different power plants, you can only have one type of power plant at a time.

but I build one, then I can build the other after it is finished, then I can build the other again. I cant do this with the other power plants

Build Hoovers dam, then you do not have to build any plants on the continent. There is no difference in the shield production from a coal plant to hydro. The advantage of using hydro is the pollution.

You get 50% more shields with either one.

Basically, every time you build a plant - it replaces one you already have.

That's why the one replaced keeps popping up to build again.

You're just wasting shields rebuilding and replacing.

I did the same thing also back when, it's confusing if you're not sure how it works.

Ahh, one of the most common mistakes a new player can make. Always see a thread like this every two or so months.

As the others said, each time you build a power plant it replaces the original plant and adds no production whatsoever. I'd just stick with the hydro plant because it has the same production as the coal plant and it produces no pollution.

When you get up to nuclear plants, you can build a nuclear plant without replacing the previous power plants. I.E nuclear plants do not replace the existing power plant in the city and still add +100% production. Same applies with the Iron Works and Manufacturing Plant. So to sum it up:

Plants that you can only have one of in the same city:

Hydro plant (50%)

Nuclear Plant (100%)

Coal Plant (50%)

Solar Plant (50%)

Plants that do not replace the existing plants:

Iron Works (100%)

Manufacturing Plant (50%)

EDIT: The () beside the plant means how much production it increases the city by.

So by combining the Iron Works, Nuclear Plant, Manufacturing Plant and one power plant, your city's production can be increased to a massive 250%, but it is unlikely that you will get Iron Works.

Also, the power plants: hydro, coal and solar don't actually increases the city's production by 50% as you may think. What it does, is increases the production the factory produces by 50%, not the whole city. However, the rest of the plants increase the whole city's production, not just the factory's production.

If you have nothing to build, you can either build wealth to get a lot of money or you can build units to wipe out the AI. Note that if you want to build Wealth, you'll want to have researched the optional MA tech Economics, as that doubles the effect of wealth.

However, I would suggest you build units and make an end to that game with a Domination or even Conquest victory.

Well, if you're running on a deficit which forces you to build wealth, then declare war on a civ to get rid of a few units. That way you won't have to build wealth.

Nuke plants do replace other power plants. For example you can't have the effect of a hydro plant and a nuke plant at the same time.
When you build Hover dam, the hydro icon will remain visible if you build a nuke plant, but only the effect of the nuke plant counts.

Nuke plants do replace other power plants. For example you can't have the effect of a hydro plant and a nuke plant at the same time.
When you build Hover dam, the hydro icon will remain visible if you build a nuke plant, but only the effect of the nuke plant counts.

That...That.. Can't be! I thought nuke plants are unique because they don't replace and take over the shield production of existing plants. :hmm:

Yes, they replace other plants, but they provide a higher shield bonus than normal plants, so as soon as you can, you should go for Nuclear Plants all the way! :D Huge shield bonus + no pollution (except if it melts down, but that will only happen if you are in Civil Disorder and if you check cities with a Nuclear plant every turn you won't have to experience that).

A Manufacturing plant does not replace your Power Plant though.

So a max production city would be:

Nice amount of SPT + Iron Works + Factory + Nuclear Plant + Manufacturing Plant.

Also, the power plants: hydro, coal and solar don't actually increases the city's production by 50% as you may think. What it does, is increases the production the factory produces by 50%, not the whole city. However, the rest of the plants increase the whole city's production, not just the factory's production.

Not sure what you mean here. The game counts up the total number of shields you get from your citizens working the land. Then it knocks some off for corruption. That's your base production. Then it looks for all the shield-boosting buildings you listed, adds up the percentages of those present, and multiplies the base production by the total percentage. Then it adds shields from civil engineers (unless you are building a unit of course). That's your total spt.
So they all work the same way, and it's the same way the commerce-enhancing buildings operate. The shield-enhancing buildings are just more complex in the way they make each other buildable, and the way some only operate in the presence of others.

@PaperBeetle: Look in the civilopedia and it will say "The Solar/Coal/Hydro" plant increases Factory output by 50%. But this is only with the Solar, coal, hydro, or nuclear plant. What I mean by that is, the factory output is increased by 50% when you build the coal, solar or hydro plant. The nuclear plant increases factory production by 100%.

If it increased factory production then it would require a factory to produce anything from a plant...

A factory is required to build a plant. IE you can't build a power plant without a factory. The only exception to this is the Iron Works.

...and it would mean plants only increase your production by 25%

Thats correct. Plants only increase your production by 25%. However, nuke plants increase it by 50%.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is true, but as always, I could be incorrect.

Someone analyze this. Go into the civilopedia, click on a nuclear, solar, coal or hydro plant and it will say it increases factory output, not the actual city's output.

Top Bottom