? about diety DOW times and marathon differences

Dwisetiger

Chieftain
2 separate topics. I'm a emp/imm player who fired up a diety game pangea/normal. I got a nice start that I was looking forward to playing but shaka wants to kill me at 1000BCs. Is this a normal DOW time on diety? On my previous diety attempts it seemed that early luck is crucial. On one try he DOW at 1280 BC. I had a good capitol and bronze nearby (playing pericles so I can make the uu) but I can't get 3 cities and make some troops before I'm dead. He's got a population of around 45 (size 10 cap) and I have 10 at that point.

Also. I prefer slower speeds so I've been playing marathon lately. I know about the troops not costing enough to build issue. But I'm wondering about great person production and golden ages. I guess golden ages dont scale correctly so they are not as good, correct? And it seems to take relatively longer to get great people. Does that not scale well either? Any other marathon scaling issues to share with me? Marathon does make things a ton easier as long as you go to war. I may play marathon if I try diety again.

Dow times depend greatly on how fast the land gets filled up. HOWEVER, I had a game once where Monte kept dowing me around 2000 - 1600 BC.

Usually on deity / pangea typical dow times are around 1000 BC, so you're situation is pretty normal. Greece's UU sucks, why play pericles of that?

Golden ages are better on marathon because of the lower relative cost of units / buildings, AND the instant civic switches. Not sure about the Great person points.

Ahh the infamous Toku map, the early/dagger DoWs on that were so much fun :)

Pretty sure GPP are scaled properly as does the amount of beakers they give when bulbing. As AZ said GAges are strong for Unit production on Marathon due to the different ratio on units - buildings plus the turns save on switching civics/religions

Don't play at deity, but do play consistently on Marathon.

Golden Ages are 16 turns, MoM takes it to 24. Periods of anarchy are longer.

I think marathon is 3 times the number of turns and the golden ages are only 2 times longer. But people are saying the golden ages are good for building troops. So I guess they are not as good because they are not as long as they should be unless you are building units?

If you're playing Marathon, you'll be playing on bigger maps, which means SUBSTANTIALLY more cities.

This makes Golden Ages AWESOME on Marathon with the right empire.

If you have an empire, and you start a Golden-Age Chain beginning with the Taj Mahal, you effectively crush the game, right then and there.

Not sure I'd go so far as to say it becomes a runaway w/the Taj built + GAs on top, but I've sure done that before. Max was 3 back-to-back. 72 turn GA. Sure did make construction quicker for quite awhile.

Top Bottom