1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

About Great People

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

As we all know, a new great people is generated right after the previous one of the same kind is recruited.It is generated randomly from all possible great people of the current era.

So I have two questions.

1: How is the GP era calculated? That is to say, if I recruit the current one, what will the next GP's era be?

2:It is obvious that when a player passes a GP, it got 20% cheaper. But sometimes a GP costs 30% more than the base cost (Base cost:60 Classical 120 Medival 240 Renaissance 420 Industrial 660 Modern 960 Atomic 1,320 Information)

Sometimes I saw 315 Medival GP, or 855 Modern, 1,245 Atomic, 1,715 Information GP, which is 30% more than the base cost.

How does this mechanism work?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Abraxis likes this.
  2. Abraxis

Abraxis Chieftain

I have a feeling the great person system is probably the least understood. Brazil I know is the least played civ, I imagine because of it. I was wondering the same thing yesterday when you posted this coincidentally, I was looking around trying to find an absolutely accurate way to predict exactly when the great people would update to a new era. It's always stressful sitting near the end of earning one wondering if you should patronize or save your money/faith, you wait and come back later to see it's all changed and the prices have gone way up.

Anyways I'm going to keep looking around for answers I'll post if I find anything.

3. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

1) It seems to depend on the game difficulty somehow. Above Prince the next GP era seems to be the era of the most advanced civilization (in either science or civics), below that there seems to be some delay before the era advances (or they are just not discarded. Or maybe the AI is just less inclined to buy them aggressively).

2) I've never looked at it, but I think I've noticed that some of the GPs of the same era actually cost more, might be those with better effects.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Its all in a thread somewhere.
    The first GP of an era costs the same amount for that era.
    If the era advances ... The GP of the previous era is finished before it jumps
    I'm a bit misty on the rest as it was not my thread ... Inthink it was @ShinigamiKenji I'll have a look

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Chieftain

The other one I've always wondered, when (if ever?) does a GP get swapped out after being added? Like, say that that a certain great person is in the list, is there something in which civs advance in eras that can cause them to get swapped out? I seem to know for sure sometimes I was building up towards a certain great person, then when I go to check a few turns later, it's a new person from a new era, and I'm 99% sure that nobody bought them.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You can 100% be sure because there is a history of who got what from the GP screen
    I have seen complaints lately that it changes yes... as in if they get the GP with gold the order is ABC but if left the order is ACB

7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

A new GP is generated randomly as soon as the previous one being recruited. So if you do Save/Load and add some other random factors, the next GP may change.

Actually the cost inflation system is not related to GP effects. Everyone can get inflated and everyone can get not inflated(Since I saw every modern,atomic, information era GS got inflated or not inflated in different games). Sometimes the first GP in an era got inflated while the rest doesn't, making the rest cost even less than the first one.

It seems that there's always only 1 GS among the 3 in an era got 30% inflated, but I have no idea which one it is. Sometimes the first, sometimes the second, sometime the third.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

That sounds almost like a bug, or faulty mechanism? :undecide:

9. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

You can try to do experiments about it if you're interested.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it doesn't make any sense to design the game like that. I could see some sense if it was the last from each era that was always 30 % more expensive. Or if they each got 30 % more expensive than the one before. But a random one being cheaper doesn't make sense to me.

11. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

What we want to discuss is the mechanism, or the designer's intention.

Not whether it makes sense to you or not.

12. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Can you figure out at what condition will they get 30% expensive.

13. Abraxis

Abraxis Chieftain

sorry I misunderstood the conversation

14. Photi

Photi Governor

They obviously didn't send you to finishing school.

If it's a bug there is no mechanism or intention. If it's intentional then there would presumably be logic or rationale behind it, causing it to make sense.

15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

It's obvious that you didn't receive enough education on understanding languages or logics.

Making sense is different from Making Sense to a Certain Person.

I think the whole series of Civ Games cannot make sense to babies, can they?.

16. Photi

Photi Governor

I don't think it is different. What makes sense to you may not make sense to me, but "making sense" does not exist outside of a person, which means knowledge is always to some degree subjective. When kaspergm said "makes no sense to me" he was using his or her understanding to conclude something about design intent (which is what you asked for) while leaving open the possibility unknown considerations that might be subsequently brought up.