About moving ships from one side of a continent to the other

Currently, if I understand correctly, if you want to move ships from one side to another you have 4 options:
1) moving them all away around the continent to get to the other side
2) move through a fort that has coast tiles on either sides through friendly territory
3) move through a citadel that has coast tiles on either sides through friendly territory
4) make a series of forts and citadels and connect the two coasts

I was thinking maybe there is another solution. Humans have been building canals since 4000 BC. What if around the industrial or modern era;
1) a special building has to be built in the city controlling the territory (maybe a dam?). Then workers gain the ability to add rivers to tiles. Special rules can be set up so the rivers can't be spammed (so for example to make your city harder to capture)
2) friendly ships gain the ability to move over rivers, while becoming civilian units while they move.

That way you can connect the two coasts. As for realism, well, I got nothing.

Last edited:
Take a look on the size of any world canal, put it in a map. I'd swear that any of them are just 1 tile long.
Without a city, you can make a canal of two tiles, if both sides are coast. You need one fort and one citadel. That's longer than any real life canal. With a city in between, it can go as far as 5 tiles, if I remember correctly.
That's why world wide actors have fleets in every sea.

Take a look on the size of any world canal, put it in a map. I'd swear that any of them are just 1 tile long.
Without a city, you can make a canal of two tiles, if both sides are coast. You need one fort and one citadel. That's longer than any real life canal. With a city in between, it can go as far as 5 tiles, if I remember correctly.
That's why world wide actors have fleets in every sea.
Yeah I know it's unrealistic. I just hate having to move my navy an extra 10 turns just to get them to the other coast when I already have territory on both sides, assuming there isn't another Civ in the way. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this.

Also sometimes it's just not possible, for example in the doughnut map type.

Last edited:
There's a mod called "Like Moses" that creates a "canal" (it basically turns the tile into coast with the model of a fort on it, and can only be built on flat land coast). It's good if your city is just one or two tiles away from the coast.

There's a mod called "Like Moses" that creates a "canal" (it basically turns the tile into coast with the model of a fort on it, and can only be built on flat land coast). It's good if your city is just one or two tiles away from the coast.
Yeah but the AI won't know how to use it. :(

Honestly, realism demands two fleets, I mean American imperialism pretty much demanded that they built the panama canal, there was no other way.

However, ingame, getting locked behind borders or ice or whatever just isn't fun. How about letting ships be air-lifted?

Honestly, realism demands two fleets, I mean American imperialism pretty much demanded that they built the panama canal, there was no other way.

However, ingame, getting locked behind borders or ice or whatever just isn't fun. How about letting ships be air-lifted?
I always favor mechanics that enhance gameplay over realism. I understand not everyone feels this way. Although being able to air-lift will seriously change balance. No more punishing someone for not having a navy on both of his coasts. Also I think Gazebo said the AI will have a hard time using it.

So the AI knows that building a fort in a one tile patch of land will allow it to cross it faster than going around and build it accordingly? Didn't know that
Pretty sure it does. Played against Ethiopia in one of my games while not knowing about the mechanic. Saw him build a fort in possibly the worst tactical position. Then realized I could move my ships through there after I took his city.

Pretty sure it does. Played against Ethiopia in one of my games while not knowing about the mechanic. Saw him build a fort in possibly the worst tactical position. Then realized I could move my ships through there after I took his city.
After? So ships can't use enemy forts? Thats pretty nice tbh. Would that make your ship immune to enemy melee ships? That would explain why in my current game the AI never pursues my low hp ships when I retreat into coastal forts to heal them.

After? So ships can't use enemy forts? Thats pretty nice tbh. Would that make your ship immune to enemy melee ships? That would explain why in my current game the AI never pursues my low hp ships when I retreat into coastal forts to heal them.
Not sure. I only realized I could move through the fort after I took his city.

Ships can enter enemy citadels, I don't know about forts though. I once remember a major defeat because some corvettes raided a citadel of mine

And you thought you were just joking...

Spoiler Screenshot :
20170807112051_1.jpg

This was after I signed treaty with China.

Anyway, you don't have to worry about enemies using your forts if you just leave them garrisoned. The unit can be attacked by melee ships, so just use a cheap conscript.

Holy Montezuma!!
I thought the game was bugged when i saw a frigate in a coastal fort.
I always wanted a tech that allows you to transport ships via railroads similar to what the ottomans did when they conquered Constantinople.

Holy Montezuma!!
I thought the game was bugged when i saw a frigate in a coastal fort.
I always wanted a tech that allows you to transport ships via railroads similar to what the ottomans did when they conquered Constantinople.

That would actually be interesting. Perhaps have it where ships can't fight back when on railroads but are vulnerable to attack from land units? It would make an interesting reversal to have land units covering ships on land similar to how ships cover land units when embarked.

Top Bottom