About the AI

Killtech

Discutator
ok i'll use this thread for all my observations concerning the AI and will provide my analysis here. so let's get started...

i've started a new game recently with the newest version of AND. marathon speed, giant map, 40 civs, start as minors and increasing difficulty option starting at prince. bad choice for me but good enough to compare AI with me (normally i play at deity). i ended the game at 1500 BC after completing third world wonder and entering world builder to see that i was much to powerful to be defeated. however i get the feeling the AI has slightly improved but the core problem remains: AI cripples its economy with too much military. a direct compare: i have 4 cities and 5 military units; the AI mostly had less cities and more than 10 units; my cities had most food & production buildings completed (about 10+ buildings); the best AI city had 6 buildings. maybe it's because the minor civ start (all civs are at war, no diplomacy at until writing) have to check this next time. i need more observation to discuss this further.

another issue i've observed: AI, barbarians and the player. this just doesn't work as it is rendering the game too easy for experienced players. the reason is following strategy: due to the barbs are aggressive and will attack without any check on combat odds you can exploit this by moving units onto forest near them => you win and farm xp. it's very important in early game sages because small cites don't provide much of a defence bonus. furthermore stationing your units outside your borders on defensive positions gives you more time to ready your defences and concentrate your military in case of a enemy stack. (and yes, my cities mostly have no garrison - especially early on). all in all barbs are a good training for my units (and i'm only worried if they are missing). on the other hand i see frequently the AI losing new cities to black stacks.

obviously the option 'raging barbarians' is quite game breaking because of this huge imbalance. it usually kills several civs early on while it leaves me with a highly trained military and no relevant damage. i recommend reworking the barbs. they should be unable to build up any stacks and be less aggressive but instead focus on pillaging to force players into the offensive. the barb units should behave a bit like animals... every one roaming independently. but not attacking enemies unless they are injured. only if multiple barbs are near a city by chance they can try to attack it.

---------------------
here come some new observations on the AI along with some suggestions:

0. Advanced start
AI makes very very(!) bad choices here. if you find some time you could rework that maybe, Afforess. priories are following:
0. set the capital
1. one defensive unit (it's necessary for the AI but i mostly don't spent points on that)
2. place a single city or a settler if no good place for 2nd settlement is available.
3. increase population in capital by one.. sometimes in 2nd settlement too (huge economy boost for the start)
4. tech depending on resources visible
5. one worker can't hurt (or an work boat if fish is in city radius)
6. culture improvements (if the city will have low hammers and a valuable resource (food) is out of culture borders)
7. tech to speed up the discovery of a religion

1. Early Expansion
first of all it expands too much. settlers are take very long to complete, stop growth and the new cities they fond cost maintenance. and at the top of that you need to build more military to ensure their safety. one should not expand greater than his economy can handle. pretty early in the game the when the AI still had only one the capital and it was still size 1 it started to build settlers! i think a prerequisite should be at least a size 2 city to consider first expansion (in the case the capital is the only city). and as long as a city doesn't reach size 3 or 4 building further settlers shouldn't be considered.

2. Later Expansion
for later games the AI should first check how many 'developed' and 'core' cities it has compared to 'small towns' to decide over further expansion. as a rule the amount of small towns & conquered cities in the empire should never go over 60% of all cities (but lower is better).

3. Military Buildings
namely 'walls', 'bandit's outpost' and 'barracks'. the first two increase city defense the last gives xp. the AI gave these buildings too high priority. they were build mostly before any production building and short after the grainy. the walls may be okay but only if raging barbarians are active. the others were definitively too early.

4. Ships
the AI build a galley pretty early which didn't make much sense to me. though it was just a single one.

5. City Placement
one fonds new settlements if one finds a good place for it. the AI builds cities because it has some settlers left. even if it's in the desert and no matter how the economy and revolution status look.

6. The Forge
AI build 'wheelwright' and 'stoneworkers hut' quite fast- which is good. but it don't want to build any forges although it certainly should. okay it's quite busy with all the revolutions but still should build it. it didn't complete any commerce buildings either (no bazaar, jewelery, baskermasters shop, lighthouse, ...). this seems to be the point at which the AI stops to play good.

7. Fish Traps without Fish
in the current version fish traps have no effect if you lack any sea-resource. the AI has not even one in its cultural borders but yet it build one. it's nothing big but it should calculate in the bonus depending on the available resources.

as it seems the is expanding far beyond its economic potential causing severe revolutions everywhere. furthermore the new cities cost quite some maintenance but give little commerce back since they are very undeveloped. additionally more military is require for protection of these settlements. form a certain point on thee AI has no capacities to spare for further city improvements anymore and is unable to keep up with the player.

the reason why i bring up the barbs in this thread is following: to improve the AI it is important to force the AI to focus on economy as hard as possible which implies it must have a far smaller military early in the game. because of the described tactic it's not a problem for the player to deal with barbs but it will be devastating for the AI with small military. and it cannot neglect it's economy because it will never be able to catch up again.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

While working on the subdue animal mod I have noticed that the code governing the actions of animals (bAnimal=true) is different to non-animals which includes all subdued animals because one of the things animals can't do is enter any cultural boundaries. I have been attacked by a wild stack of elephants, lions and wolves ;) By wild I mean barbarian units which spawned in the fog of war and were not built in a city. I am going to play around with their default and other AI actions to see what happens.

If it were possible I would suggest that early barbarian units act as individuals bent on pillage and that barbarian cities concentrate on food or defense buildings until they became civs. Classic era and later barbarians should start to form stacks.

@Killtech

I am in complete agreement with you. The Barbarians are are a good training pre season for humans. On top of that, the AI builds the Great Wall which further impedes that civ to train their troops.

I also agree with your point that the AI uses way too many troops. The problem is they tend to treat their city garrisons as independent from each other. They don't create a strong central army that can move quickly when needed at any outlying city. Even using many more troops than humans, their cities are easy to take.

Changing Barbarians as you say will help, but until the AI can be taught to use its army as a unit instead of many small ones, they will continue to be easy pickings.

It highly depends on map actually. Try playing on pangea with ruthless AI on deity with 5 military units till 1500 BC :)

Please try Ruthless AI and report back. ;)

yep,

If you think the AI is dumb, play with Ruthless AI and you will probably get splattered... if that doesn't work then tell Afforess how to make it smarter

Please try Ruthless AI and report back. ;)

i've tried that already in my effort to make games greater challenges for me but it didin't work. indeed the beginning was a slightly more challenging but that's all. later the aggressive AIs fall even more back as their economy is next to not existent.

as for the 5 units: this strategy described in my first post works agains other AI as well but in a modified variant: the AI won't attack you as stupidly as the barbs will and but will try to go around you instead. in that case if you move your 5 units wisely back and forth and have build roads strategically you can block the enemy stack for ever (it comes never to the AIs mind to split forces to use its numerical advantage). so after i finish building up economy and completed the world wonders i like i can spare some turns producing the military to kill their outdated stack.

yep,

If you think the AI is dumb, play with Ruthless AI and you will probably get splattered... if that doesn't work then tell Afforess how to make it smarter

if i want to play a really challenging game i now use the increasing difficulty setting and group every AI player into teams of two (e.g. Churchill + Elizabeth, Bismarck + Frederick ...) plus my main opponents the 3*America and 3*Russia. it's far more interesting because the AI can keep up with research (double research rates) for quite long and is militarily much more interesting to fight because it has multiple main armies.

btw. anyone knows how to change the secondary colour of a civ? 1st American civ is always blue and 2nd always orange. but i want them to use the very same colors since they are an inseparable team.

as for making the AI smarter: the less aggressive a civ is the stronger it gets. zulus are stupidly aggressive and build military only (though don't know if that changed in AND 1.73). and they end up beeing an even greater source of xp then barbs... impis are just so inferior to crossbowmen.

but honestly RoM and AND made economy so important that the AI just cannot affort to neglect it's economy. military and aggresivity focus of the AI make the game a challange only early on. but playing civ only in the ancient time can't be the solution.

Wait, so you can still win on Emperor with Ruthless AI? Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously, no one has shown me proof of beating the AI on Emperor with Ruthless AI.

Wait, so you can still win on Emperor with Ruthless AI? Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously, no one has shown me proof of beating the AI on Emperor with Ruthless AI.

but don't expect me to finish it. honestly i didn't finish any RoM or AND game... usually when i've 5 times more points than the 2nd on the scoreboard the game is over for me.

on the other hand i have to admit that i use celtic leader boudica (charismatic i.e much easier to level up your units, aggressive = free strengh promotion). furthermore the celtic special building dun gives a free guerilla promotion. so it's the best possible choice for a small but highly trained army. and i use the civic exploit: build all possible civic specific buildings then switch to the next. ... and then there's the caravan exploit (it's an exploit because AI can't use it).

but the most decisive point is that i use advanced start option. sorry but on deity difficulty and snail speed it's just too boring otherwise.

------------
okay... guess i can find the time to start a new game next week and provide pics and saves. as described below i started all my games with certain settings and stategies. i'm not sure i can hold my ground with any civ without an advanced start on deity and ruthless AI on a pangea map. but i'll accept the challenge. tell me any settings and i shall have my try. and it would be a nice thing for me to see my defeat for a change.

challenge accepted and mostly likely will be done.

Want it from advanced start (what i've mainly been doing) or beginning of the game?

Just as an aside here, Tech Diffusion and Revolutions options are a must. Tech Diffusion makes things interesting later in the game -- if you're far ahead technologically, the other civs will be getting lots of your techs for free -- and Revolutions makes the early game *very* difficult. At least for the player... I've noticed that the AI usually has at least one civ that seems to almost ignore Revolutions, and builds cities willy-nilly. Not sure how they're able to do this (early in the game). I have a rough time hanging on to cities three and four, at least until I have the techs to start switching civics around.

Foul

Just as an aside here, Tech Diffusion and Revolutions options are a must. Tech Diffusion makes things interesting later in the game -- if you're far ahead technologically, the other civs will be getting lots of your techs for free -- and Revolutions makes the early game *very* difficult. At least for the player... I've noticed that the AI usually has at least one civ that seems to almost ignore Revolutions, and builds cities willy-nilly. Not sure how they're able to do this (early in the game). I have a rough time hanging on to cities three and four, at least until I have the techs to start switching civics around.

Foul

i never played AND without revolutions and tech diffusion since i find both ideas quite cool. but hearing that EARLY game is difficult because of revolutions really shocks me - i never had any problems with that before i had my first vassals (uprisings in conquered territory... but even that i could hardly call problems) and at that point the game was more or less decided anyway.

as for the AI it's not true. as i experienced it many AI civs are often quite aggressive and conquer lots of cities all over the world map but mostly lose them again due to revolutions. however some have enough military strength to just ignore that and are able to keep these cities despite the permanently uprising. they finish off the rebels relatively quick each time (in less than 5 turns) so you won't see much of that. it's quite the same how i handle revolutions. the big difference however is that i am able to bring down the revolutions index back to zero after a time which the AI never achieves...

i never played AND without revolutions and tech diffusion since i find both ideas quite cool. but hearing that EARLY game is difficult because of revolutions really shocks me - i never had any problems with that before i had my first vassals (uprisings in conquered territory... but even that i could hardly call problems) and at that point the game was more or less decided anyway.

as for the AI it's not true. as i experienced it many AI civs are often quite aggressive and conquer lots of cities all over the world map but mostly lose them again due to revolutions. however some have enough military strength to just ignore that and are able to keep these cities despite the permanently uprising. they finish off the rebels relatively quick each time (in less than 5 turns) so you won't see much of that. it's quite the same how i handle revolutions. the big difference however is that i am able to bring down the revolutions index back to zero after a time which the AI never achieves...

I think that is the main problem with Revolutions. It's supposed to be bad for you but it's actually another boost for your troops similar to the Barbarians. Just decline their demands, kill off the rebels and increase your xp's. Keep those anarchy cities producing with caravans from the bigger ones.

I think that is the main problem with Revolutions. It's supposed to be bad for you but it's actually another boost for your troops similar to the Barbarians. Just decline their demands, kill off the rebels and increase your xp's. Keep those anarchy cities producing with caravans from the bigger ones.

:) exactly. i couldn't put it better. :D

I went from advanced start industrial to transhuman and i dominated, although a late push by Peter made it fun...

I'm playing on emperor and I would hesitate to name barbs activity as a "XP farm". Or - maybe - I'm just a poor player :)

I think that barbs are doing exactly what they should do. Irking, skirmishing, harassing - as I'm not native speaker, I'm not sure which word should fit the best. Barbarian units are concentrating on your infrastructure (roads and improvements), and they present a constant danger to your non-military units. Of course, they do suicide attacks on your cities, but this works exactly as in history: hordes of outlaws, with primitive command structures, using basic tactics and weaponry and trying to live on pillaging and plundering.

They pose a threat which is not to be ommited. They force you to keep significant forces level, and, if you have 3-4 cities you can't just simply put military units everywhere. I noticed that barbs don't always attack nearby units. They are able to to pass you by, to get your mine or quarry as well.

They are so irritating that I tend to get mathematics as soon as possible to get the Great Wall. After I build it, I can concentrate on empire growth.

Besides, I keep constant admiration for players who claim to eat up AI like a piece of bread on deity, with ruthless AI, raging barbs, revolutions on etc. I would like to thank them very much, cause they remind me of my weaknesses in my playing skills ;)

Top Bottom