about the AI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by fadeh, Aug 24, 2012.

1. fadeh

fadeh Chieftain

Hello guys,

I'm not a hardcore civ player (i dont know most of the policy/tech/units/improvements etc), I just played a bunch of games at king level but I feel like giving up with this game.
    What bothers me is that increasing the difficulty level doesnt challenge you more. The problem is that the AI is still the same stupid AI it was in Prince difficulty level, despite all the bonuses it gets. For an example watch Maddjinn's video playlist on youtube with him playing the Aztec on Deity. It's a warmonger game but the AI is embarassing to the point that you can easily say Civ is broken. If you get the huge bonuses you get on Deity and still lose because of very very very irrational and stupid moves, broken is all you can say. With such bonuses a noob player should trash you no matter what. I don't expect the AI to be as good as a well trained human, but well, what we have now is ridiculous.
    I then tried to look in the mod section and, for my great surprise, there isn't even a subforum for AI mods.

Sorry for the rant but, how do you cope with this during your games?

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Welcome to the forum!

This probably belongs in one of the rant threads or any of the numerous "I hate the AI" threads. But yes everything you said is true.

The reason why it's not in the mods section is because Firaxis will not allow modders to touch the .dll source code which governs AI behavior yet. Supposedly they will in the next ~year or so.

3. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I cope with it by not playing very often. When I do play it I setup crazy scenarios that favor the AI or at least make me feel like I have a challenge.

I still support the game and the series - I'm just hoping they will wise up and improve the AI.

I am getting a bit tired of hearing the same old lines from firaxis about how they have improved the AI. I heard that about G&K and didn't notice much of an improvement. If there was an improvement it went from a F to a D-

4. fadeh

fadeh Chieftain

Thank you both for the valuable informations.

@hobbsyoyo: I'm kind of surprise to hear that the AI isn't actually moddable. That is truly pity because I wanted to get involved in some AI-mod project.

@JBConquests: can you tell me what kind of scenario you come up with to make the games look interesting? Like small island maps and stuff?

Thank you both!

5. Yalish

Yalish Chieftain

Play multiplayer. People are plenty crafty.