1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

About this World Builder

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lewsir, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Lewsir

Lewsir Chieftain

Okay I'm sure this is very old news, but I just recently got into playing CIV 4 and have discovered that the World Builder is like a built in super-cheat mode letting you alter anything during a game. Geez do people have self-control enough not to use this thing all the time? I'm having trouble...

I assume using it affects your score at least, yes?

Can it be turned off?

2. holy king

holy king Deity

never opened it...

edit: and theres a "no cheating" or something option in the custom game screen, i guess cheching it will disable the WB option, dont know for sure though...

3. lbhhh

lbhhh King

never used it either but I have used the reload button:blush:
    The option to disable it is called "lock modifiable assets" or something similar.

4. TAfirehawk

TAfirehawk WoC Team Manager

The World Builder is a great tool for Modders...but if regular players don't want it, like lbhhh said, select Lock Modified Assets.

Of course you can use it during normal games, but you are just cheating yourself ;)

I have never done it enough to look at the score, but I know when granting things to test the score goes up pretty far so if it does affect the score it can't be much.

5. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

There is no score penalty for using WB. The only effect to score would be to artificially raise it by adding things to your civ.

It's only cheating if you are playing by a set of rules. :lol:

6. Ben E Gas

Ben E Gas King

I love that they brought back the world builder feature. Yes, you can disable it for your games if you don't like it. I like using it if I realize I've lost a game, I like to see "what if" I did this or had this many men in my army. Or for playing GOD. Or for setting up my own senarios. It is a great feature. And yeah, if you have no self control and it is going to ruin your civ experience, then just disable it. It's not like your using it on a multiplayer game or anything. It is only used against the compo, so don't feel bad about hurting the AI's feelings, they cheat anyway.

7. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I used to use it a fair bit :blush: , but almost never now. The ALC game series I post had two effects: first, they made me play much more honestly; second, they taught me how to play without relying on World Builder.

I find it much more satisfying to win a game without using it, but that's a personal thing.

8. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

Most definitely.

Most of the people who post here have huge amounts of self control.

I'd estimate that they only spend about 1 hour/day on the forum and 4 hours/day playing the game. That shows HUGE amounts of self control.

:crazyeye:

9. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

I have almost used it every game I've played :$

10. Zebra 9

Zebra 9 Emperor

I've opened it to help debug games, never to cheat. Well one time I did, while debugging, give myself a hugh army that was superadvanced. I used to play in debug mode in civ III so I could do the samething. hehe

11. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

Never used it to cheat. Used it to re-create a few situations that bothered me at the time, never went back to the game that I used it on.
    I guess I prefer to start a new game with the knowledge I gained then resorting to keep playing a "tainted" game

12. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

I only use it when I get frustrated with the game- Which happens rather a lot actually... in a sort of "I LOST A 90% CHANCE BATTLE!!!! I'LL SHOW HIM!!"

Really can be quite game ruining, because then I get fed up because I'm doing too well...

13. Zebra 9

Zebra 9 Emperor

I guess it proves that Cheaters Never Win. So you know I'm not calling anyone a cheater (Peck of Arabia & others admit that the game is no more fun after using worldbuilder).

14. Lamed

Lamed Chieftain

Is there a way to choose AI difficulty level for multiplayer games. I want to play a game with my friend, with a map ive made. The way we do it now is somewhat dumb. I start single player custom game(Choose difficulty,leaders.)..the enter world editor mod the map and save it. Then open it as scenario to play it with my friend. Here comes the problem. the AI is allways noble. It gets the unit bonuses since i started the game as emperor (single) and we get the difficulty bonuses with my friend but the AI difficulty factor drops to noble. Are there ANYWAY to IMPROVE AI for an internet game????!!!

15. CivDude86

CivDude86 King

16. Lord N.

Lord N. Chieftain

The world builder is a great thing. I use it not to cheat, but to learn more about the game mechanics.
    It is good for creating "what if..." situations which would be hard to create during normal gameplay. I wish every strategy game has a similar tool!

17. automator

automator King

I never used it ... until a couple weeks ago. I was having a GREAT game. But I neglected a one square patch of fog and a barb maceman came toward my capitol (which, being very, very far from my frontiers, had a lone warrior on defense). I had no available defenders and no money to upgrade my warrior ... so I "cheated" by opening the world builder and dropped a lone mech infantry in the mace's path.

But I didn't look at the rest of the map (or at least I tried not to) and deleted the unit immediately afterword. Then I built a longbow to guard that little tile until culture borders exposed it.

18. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

I don't use it to cheat, but I've used it to turn a few savegames into scenarios, when a particular game is at an interesting point. I wish it had the same detail as the civ2 one... you could do so much more with it. They should have kept the score thing as well, so you get a dirty big "cheater" sign on the scoreboard, if you've entered worldbuilder during play.

19. Ben E Gas

Ben E Gas King

As much as I love World Builder, I'd agree to that point about the dirty big cheater sign. I was surprised they didn't add that.

20. wylergnu

wylergnu Chieftain

I use it to delete ugly, pointless roads within my borders (yes Im very anal about that............. why isnt it an option :confused: )