About time and space...

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
What if the game were reasoning in terms of years instead of turns, whenever there still would be turns ?
At the biggining, the first 100 years turn would see things evolve dramatically. That would put the player out of his stagnation, especially the stagnation feeling some players like me do encounter particularly at Deity level.

So, you would have to plane out carefully each turn and what to produce, like infrastructures, armies, etc.
For example, in 100 years between the turn 1 and the turn 2, you could build an army of several dozen of units and go conquer your neighbour next turn. So basically : you build 20 warriors and 10 slingers on turn 2, that you can use up immediately within a vast range of land (1 year-long march or sail ; rivers and coasts should act as roads first, then as highways with the discovering of sailing), it is to say basically half a continent. Your war should be about positioning your troops like you make air attacks on previous Civs. (if your enemy is close enough) So turn 2 you can conquer your enemy. Also, the frontier expansion of your capital would be much more important on turn 2, for example 5 tiles a turn. Obviously, your population would increase but also not so much as if it were 100 turns of Civ. Your might be able to send settlers on turn 1, I mean queue them up in your production queue, but it would be limited by your population and the pressure it creates. Same as your army : it should be limited by your population size. So you might not really build a 20 warriors and 10 slingers army in turn 2, unless you consider them as individuals, but that would make the game impossible later.
That brings up the problem of build orders. If you consider the lowest timelap in Civ series so far, it is to say 1 year, and base up all actions on this base since turn 1, that makes 100 actions packed into one from turn 1 to 2. So what happens if on turn 1, you don't have enough population to build a settler, but on year 10, you have ? Should you wait until the end of the turn and see your city overpopulated (hunter-gatherers) and into a "civil" war ? We have two options there : either the game is in charge of dispatching the excedent population around and settle in your place, either there's a countdown a la XCOM 2 and the turn stops if your population increases (births higher than deaths until a certain threshold), so you can adjust your production queue. That would be two totally different games. Which one would you prefer ?

Now, I always found that the map was too restrictive, and not big enough to represent what is actual Earth. For example, a little obsession of me lately is the ability to found cities next to each others. A la ICS hardcore.

But there's more : why not being able to place another city in THE SAME TILE than your capital for example ? You would just have to zoom the tile until it takes all the screen, and place your second city anywhere you want in the tile, provided it's not the same pixel as your capital.
It would make Earth maps so much more enjoyable...
Additionnally, you could use this level of zoom to place your units and hold positions in various land shapes.
Alas, that poses problems as what citizens should be able to work. To keep it simple and Civ-based, I guess citizens could work the same tile several times. The majority could work farm tiles, mine tiles, luxury tiles, etc. Tiles would represent regions, as they do now, for example tiles with farms would not be uniformally constituted by farms, those last would form a patchwork pleasing to the eye still. Regions functions could overlap a little bit too. For example, you could see on a mined hill some vines (that you could use) just because the weather allows it or because they are just there.
A problem that will immediately show up is : how do I represent all this in their various forms of zoom ? That wouldn't be so difficult IMO : you still have some graphical representations of trees, for example, down a mountain or a hill. Replace them with vines, and voilà ! As to cities that's another story. Maybe represent only the chefs-lieux (county towns) of a given region, which wouldn't be automatically be circumscribed to a perfect hexagon. (tiles could overlap)

Now obviously for such type of ideas there would be a great number of things to adjust, readjust or change, but I think it could make for a revolutionary game in the series. (eventhough I know some of you would say it wouldn't be Civ anymore)

Last edited:
Top Bottom