About walls

redwings1340

Emperor
Ancient walls are pretty useful to build, because they give city strikes and dramatically increase a city's health. After that, though, does it feel odd to you that later walls follow a civ V system of improvement in damage strikes by era instead of wall level? City strikes can become really strong without investment in the late game, so I've never felt the need to create any medieval or later walls.

It's also a bit odd that walls simply regenerate immediately when you capture a city in the late game, as though moving a tank through a city somehow strengthens the fortifications for the city being captured. It even rebuilds the wall if the city has been nuked, which is a bit ridiculous.

It just feels like the devs started a really neat and useful city wall system in the ancient era, then didn't have time to implement it for the rest of the game, which I find to be a really weird design decision.

I do build ancient walls. it would be nice if the investment in walls that you build was 'additive' to all the previous ones and stacked with the engineering one late game. Thus you can have very 'tough nuts' to crack at that point. I agree the regen thing is odd. While not a bad thing I would not be opposed to a mod that forces a player to 'rebuild' defenses like you have to do with districts that are pillaged.

there is a civic I think it is, that gives a housing bonus i think if you have medieval walls

there is a civic I think it is, that gives a housing bonus i think if you have medieval walls
It's not a Civic, it's the Monarchy government. I almost always build medieval walls in my larger cities to get the +2 housing.

Hardly ever build walls at all except for ancient walls in the 2 cities that the ai might target. Encampments usually provide enough fire support.
Medieval walls seem kind og a waste o time tome. 2 more potential pop with 0 amenity in exchange for a building versus 2 more trade routes? Plus monarchy is on religious dead-endcivic branch, that does not seem interesting enough for me.

They do need to improve Medieval walls + Renaissance walls... Possibly give walls a separate combat strength from the main city..
City Strength goes up with (whatever it goes up with..districts?population?tech)

Wall Strength would go up primarily based on which level of walls you had (as well as some district/population effect, but no tech effect)

(the civil engineering "walls" would just have the strength of the city)

Possibly give walls a separate combat strength from the main city..
City Strength goes up with (whatever it goes up with..districts?population?tech)

Wall Strength would go up primarily based on which level of walls you had (as well as some district/population effect, but no tech effect)

... that's exactly how the game works already. That's why cities have two health bars

Yes, Combat Strength is the same.

That does however only mean that a Unit takes the same damage, independent from whether they attack Walls, or the city itself, they still do LESS damage to walls simply because they take less damage when attacked by non-siege units. IIRC it's 50% for Ranged Attacks and a whooping 85% for Melee Attacks... but don't quote me on those numbers.

/edit: Ah nvmd, misinterpreted the question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom