1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi - retain or retire?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by lindsay40k, Apr 13, 2019.

1. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Chieftain

+20 local healing versus +5 global healing. They’re both pretty sweet. Do either or both of them stack with Medic / Supply Convoy?

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I usually pass on him tbh.

3. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

I like to get him and use him locally if i'm war mongering. I never though of combining him and medic, that's a good idea if it works.

4. jddods

jddods Chieftain

Unless I'm warmongering I pass. Tend to go for gobal.

5. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

I let circumstances dictate. But I will always retire him at some point.
    Yet at the time I get him, there might still be a difficult city to take, mandatory start of an invasion, usually because of terrain +early game relative power of AI army might not be in my favor, then I'd use that guy until this roadblock is removed.

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I've never kept him long enough to stack with a medic or convoy - but I don't usually do much later-game warring, either. Typically, I'll keep him around for any conflict I'm in when I get him, then retire him when he'll likely give me a helpful boost.

I'll have to keep a possibly pairing in mind if I think I might do much fighting later. Thanks for the idea.

7. criZp

criZp Warlord

He counts as a medic (I just checked the modifier in the files) and medics don't stack, so it should not be possible to stack his 20 HP healing with a medic's.

lindsay40k and WillowBrook like this.
  8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I usually just keep him until I am done with wars.

I haven't actually built a medic since Vanilla,so not sure how that goes.

9. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

He's great. My favorite early game scientist.

Hypatia, Newton, and Galileo are nice but you can live without them. In fact, in most of the games I get them, I often don't even use them.

Hildegaard is nice in theory, but doesn't really have much of an impact.

Abu Al Qasim has a powerful passive ability, especially at that point in the game (well before the Medic). He can really turn the tide in a lot of warfare. I usually just keep him around (instead of ever triggering his global effect).

I mean, if I were to only get a single Great Scientist in the wole game, Iwould definitely choose Abu Al Qasim!

10. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Chieftain

Excellent intel, thanks! I kind of suspected he was effectively an early Medic.

Do we know how his global +5 on retirement interacts with Medics? +25HP heals wouldn’t be too shabby, especially in a Thermopylae situation.