1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Abu Simbel Wonder

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by sukritact, Feb 2, 2011.

1. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

This mod adds the Abu Simbel into the game. It unlocks with masonry and can only be built in a city next to a river. It grants 1 gold for every river tile worked by the city.

I'd like to mention that as i couldn't install framework 4, i used notepad to modify Ambrox's moai statue mod.

I'd appreciate feedback and please tell me if there are any bugs or mistakes in the mod. Lastly, this mod only supports english for now so if anyone would like to translate please tell me.

I'll post screenshots later

you can download it here

2. sukritact

Here are the screenshots
    Spoiler :

3. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

Welcome into the modders group!!! :goodjob:

I like splash screens with people in, because they seem living pictures instead of still ones.
    Good choice ;)

4. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

Looks great, thought the bonus seems rather hefty.

5. sukritact

I'm Thinking of reducing the bonus to 1 gold per river tile, do you think that's nerfing it too much?

6. sukritact

I've updated the wonder to only 1 gold per river tile. I've also changed the original post accordingly.

7. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

If I can offer a suggestion, maybe the city needs to be on a hill as well as next to a river, and also, maybe have Great Engineer points instead? Other than that, I love it. Great job with the Splash

8. sukritact

Thanks for the compliment. I originally wanted to have it be bult next to or on a hill as well, but i thought that would make it too difficult to build. I like the suggestion about changing it to great engineer points though.

9. Pouakai

Possibly, but there is a Petra wonder that needs to be built next to a Mountain and desert, which is really hard to find.

10. sukritact

where is it? I'd like a petra wonder in my game.

11. Pouakai

It's part of a modpack. You can't get it seperate.

12. Moriboe

Moriboe King

Looks great! Enigmatic splash and effects with emphasis on location :)

You can actually: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10201813&postcount=32

Stats are +5 :c5food: and +5 :c5culture:, available at engineering. I hid it in my thread mainly because the artwork is not up to the standards of the wonders released in this subforum. Maybe I'll do an update later to release it properly.

As for being hard to build: yes it can be in some games, but then you may pick a location specifically for this wonder, which is nice for builders. In later versions of my mod I weakened the requirements to desert & hills; now the AI very often beats me to it, which is better for gameplay in general. So I think rivers & hills is not a hard requirement at all.

13. Pouakai

Oh, awesome. Thanks moriboe.

Is the Abu Simbel mod going to be available in the Mod browser soon?

14. sukritact

Thanks a lot! Anyway, seeing as a lot of poeple want it to have to be built near a hill, I've updated the wonder. It now gives great engineer points and has to be built near a hill as well as a river. I've updated the file and the original post.

I'll doubt i'll be able to put it in the mod browser, as i've said, i've simply modified ambrox's maoi statues using notepad. But if you know how i could possibly upload it please tell me.

15. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

Unfortunately, it doesn't work

16. sukritact

I updated the file, nothing major, just took out the thing about needing hills because it doesn't work.

17. Mentos

Mentos Prince

I get an error message during loading a game:

"Unable to load texture [ABU_icon45.dds]"

The icon in the tech tree is screwed up but the rest seems to work.

And why is this wonder available in Medieval times? It was carved out in 13th century BC (Before Christ, not after). Maybe misread?

18. sukritact

I don't know why that happened, i'd take a look at it but i'm travelling and i can't fix it until i get back home next month. As for why it's still buildable in the medieval age, i had to place it in the classical age as it had to be built after the pyramids, and as wonders can be built one era after it's intended era it has to be buildable in the medieval era.

19. Mentos

Mentos Prince

Your other wonders look fine. First time I see such msg. At least the game won't crash.

Abu Simbel is historically seen still fine in the Ancient Era. Classical Era, that’s maybe after 500 BC. Wikipedia is the best place to check this.
    I haven’t checked the build date of all the custom wonders I have installed lately yet, but Abu Simbel looked way too wrongly placed for me.

Hey, there is no problem at all if there are several Wonders in the same tech category. The vanilla Great Lighthouse and the Colossus, or the Angkor Wat and the Hagia Sophia, are in the same technology field too. Those weren’t built in the same year either. I wouldn’t be so nitpicking there.

This is how the beginning of the tech tree looks like if you install every single custom wonder. There are even categories with three wonders now.
    Well, I don’t mind this but if you do…I keep it placed together with the Pyramids, like shown on my screenshot.

20. Pouakai

Not every wonder, my Teotihuacan fills up Engineering.