AC, Hell Terrain and Demon Hordes, Oh My!

Gedwyn

Warlord
Hi there...bare (bear?) with me here, this will probably be a long post...

With the recent changes to both Ffh and FF I find myself a little confused as to how the AC counter works now, and some of the newer things the counter effects.

I've been browsing/skimming the various bug and balance threads here, but haven't found many answers. I'm also not sure if the new changes are due to changes in the new version of FFH, or if they are inherent to FF...anyways:

Quick game summary:

Ancient start, huge world, marathon. Monarch difficulty.

Playing a Capria led Amurites game. Founded Emp for Chalid.

Goods: Elohim, Ljosalfar

Neutrals: Khazad, Hippus

Evils: Sheaim, Balseraphs, Doviello, Cualli, Calabim, Svartalfar

Khazad beeline to Runes of Kilmorph...pretty much goes worldwide within a 100 turns or so. Doviello go neutral due to adopting this.

Around turn 350 or so? I get involved in a long war with the doubly annoying Cualli - doubly annoying because they won't back down and stop fighting and also because once conquered their land is all but useless due to jungles and wetlands.

I end up spending about 100 turns or so killing off the Cualli thanks to my Stooges (great early game stack killers after some careful fights and good promotions). Unfortunately, due to the undesirable land and the lack of Adepts at this point, the AC goes up to 22 from 11 or 12 or so pretty quickly since I'm razing their cities.

Another few hundred turns go by....few wars break out but I'm able to stay out of them for the most part and concentrating on building. I did have to save Ethne from a Balseraph/Hippus/Shiaem war, but they backed down pretty quick once I sent my heavy hitters in. AC hits 30.

At turn 752, AV enters the game as the Svartalfar research it. I'm currently at turn 878 and AV has spread - according to the latest maps - to a handful of cities around the world. AC has been hovering around 32 for the last 150 turns or so. It did dip down to 25 at one point when I sent a few mages down into the swamps to sanctify all that rubble I left behind, but that didn't seem to make that much of a difference really. Now the game seems to have stalled.

AV is not spreading as just about everyone has Runes for a religion except for me and the Fotl Ljosalfar. I keep waiting for a Hyborim pop, but it doesn't seem to be coming. Meanwhile, there's a good...33% or so of the world covered by the spreading hell barrier (I found this in the worldbuilder, it's a darker shaded border, even on water, radiating out from the hell terrain).

There's a good chunk of hell terrain and Demons in that area of the earth...and with nothing to do but wait, I sent 4 mages, a couple Rangers, a Stooge and Bridgit down there to clean up the zone. So I spent the last 50 60 turns clearing brush fires, killing demons and sanctifying land.

Which is not making any difference at all. The hell terrain comes back - I figured it would. The demon population keeps growing. The AC isn't being effected.

This is actually my second game that I've taken past a few hundred turns since the latest version came out. This one seems to have stalled, and the last one did as well. I liked having the deck stacked against me in the last version, with lots of evil civs vs a few good civs and a couple neutrals tossed in...so I've continued to do that in the new version as well, but in both games now - up to turn 900 or so - they seemed to have stalled.

AV either appears and doesn't take hold, or just doesn't get researched at all. Which means no Hyborem either.

Or am I just not waiting long enough?

So here are the questions:

a) Shouldn't cleansing the ground lower the AC? If the amount of hell terrain depends on the AC counter in some function, shouldn't cleaning the hell terrain lower the AC? And as for the hell terrain spread, if I continued with my cleansing and eventually cleared the whole area, where would it come back from if there's no Hyborem to contend with?

b) At what point does the hell terrain enter the game? Is there a specific AC number to watch out for? (edit: What about Bradeline's Well? Can that tile be sanctified? Is that where the hell terrain spreads out from originally? Is the Well in every game therefore?)

c) I know there have been a few posts on this already, but do the demon hordes need to be so prolific? There are probably in the neighborhood of 200 or so Stygian Guards running around at this point - mainly on the ocean. Add in the earth and water elementals, the manticores etc etc...There's gotta be 300ish demons on the map. (is that why the game keeps crashing? :p )

d) If the demon horde spawns in a proportional rate to the amount of hell terrain or tile influence (counting that hell border ocean tiles) then shouldn't there be less demons as I clean - or at least a lower spawn rate? I cleaned about half the actual ground terrain - a good 400 or so tiles - but it didn't seem to affect the spawn rates at all. And if they are proportional, what's the rate?

e) What's increasing the AC now if AV isn't very prevalent besides the normal events/razing cities/heroes/slow over time increase? And in this case, how do you lower it? I could theoretically go in and mow down the 6 or 7 cities with AV right now including the capital and probably get the AC down from 33 to 23 or so...but then what?

(Addendum: I built the Prophecy of Ragnarok wonder to have it under my control, so there aren't any stigmata units out there at all to build up the AC).

I'd like to know how it shot up to 30 in the first place with no AV around. I know I contributed a good 10 or so to that with my Cualli city razing (but I also took it down by roughly the same amount 100 turns or so later) , but other than that, there wasn't much going on. I did open the WB at one point to check on rubble for razed cities and found 3 others...so that 30 AC wasn't from all the razing - and it was early enough that there weren't that many events/heroes etc to cause it to rise that quickly - at least going by the old version of the game. Maybe the AC rise over time rate has been increased in the new version?

f) Is that 'hell barrier' - the area that's under the influence of hell - directly tied to the AC counter? Just from looking at the map in the worldbuilder it seems to...about a third of the world is under it's influence with an AC of 32 33.

I guess at the end of all this what I'm really looking for are better ways to keep the AC under control, or at least to decrease it quickly when needed, since the hell influence and corresponding demon hordes are so dangerous now. (edit: I don't want to eradicate it completely, but it needs to be watched due to all the bad guys that come along with it. In some ways, I'm not sure I like the random demon hordes at all...but at the same time I love the Hyborem/Basium storyline, and how the high AC affects the world with the 4 horsemen and the events etc).

I build the Prophecy wonder in just about every game to keep those stigmata units under my control (ie: I just don't build any units with that city at all, except maybe the occassional settler, which does lower the AC by 1 when they found a city) but that doesn't seem to be helping. Or maybe it is, and by turn 900 the AC should be higher?

Events that come to me that are supposed to lower the AC counter don't seem to be effective as well. I had a -5 event pop up (I think it was cleansing the burning tree) but it only took the AC down to 17 from 20.

Maybe something along the lines of killing demons...for every 30 demons that are spawned from the hell terrain that are killed lowers the AC by 1. Just tossing that out there, but...it would be nice to see a better mechanic in place for control. Or maybe I just need a better understanding of how things work now.

Ok, I think that's it. Thanks for reading my mini essay. Edit: Ok, apparently submitting a post with no javascript enabled on these forums creates a zero formatting rule. Sorry for the wall of text if anyone saw that...I put some line breaks in.

Some thoughts:

The AI ddoesn't seem to be very good at prioritising researching AV, in general. And when they do, they don't spread it much. I think evil civs, and especially the sheiam, need to concentrate more on that. Corruption of spirit is just a very hard tech to research though, especially when compared to way of the forests/earthmother.

I'd really like to see the religion's tech tree positions normalized somewhat. Make Order and AV easier to reach. make RoK and FoL harder

Keeping the AC under control is not east if it decids to go up. One primary reason for this is that the +/- bonuses from building certain units and wonders, are not scaled properly.

Building Coatlann the wyvern, for instance. Lowers the AC by 3. Which is fine if you're on a duel sized map. Anything above that, and the AC scales, so that the counter you see on screen, is actually a percentage of the total AC points. On huge maps, it takes 300 points to reach 100 AC, so a decrease of 3 is only 1 %, which doesn't seem right. Since there are so few ways to lower the AC, and only one is repeatable, as far as I know, it would really be best to have these sorts of changes scaled with the map size

Sanctify lowering AC would bbe a nice idea, although it would have to be severely restricted to not make a mockery of the AC system. I'm thinking each hell tile cleared, could have a small chance of lowering the AC by 1. Say.... 10% or so

I believe hell terrain is there from the start, if bradeline's well is present. But it follows the normal spread rules, so unless an av player builds a city near it, nothing will happen until 25% AC.

I know the elohim have a special event to close it permanantly. Other than that, the best way to sanctify it would be to build a city beside it, if you're Good. Since AC never spreads in good terrain. Even neutral would do the job mostlu, since that requires AC 75 to spread.

Yeah I'd love to see some religion regulation.

Runes and Fotl seem way to easy to get compared to Emp, Order, AV etc (don't remember what the tech requirements are for OO...I've actually never researched it.) It would be nice to see those first 2 further into the tech tree, maybe even put them on the Order/Corruption tier and make Way of the Wise a pre-req.

I'd also like to see some predisposition from civs/leaders towards certain religions in regards to alignment and in combination with religions not spreading like wildfire from city to city.

Was playing a new game today and yesteday, and once again the Khazad were involved, and everyone except for me was Runes within few hundred turns. Amurites, Balseraphs, Sheaim, Malakim, Doviello, Clan...all had Runes for a religion (making Doviello neutral for some reason as well).

Now I guess I can understand a civ converting to a new religion if it has none once that religion spreads to one of their cities. And I am fine with a civ spamming their disciples and spreading it...but I would like to see the non disciple, random spreading become a lot rarer.

For instance, with me between the Amurites and the Sheaim, and Khazad on the other side of the Amurites...I know for a fact that he didn't spam the Sheaim or the Clan (who were on the other side of the Sheaim) with disciples...they converted because it spread their randomly.

Clan declared war on Sheim, and when he was down to 3 cities - 2 of which my Order had spread too - he declared for Order, and his alignment switched to neutral. Bleh (and no, I certainly didn't send some Acolytes over there to spread it).

Why would Tebryn go to Order? Ever?

I'd love to see some changes along these lines, especially regarding alignment shifts due to religion. I don't think an evil civ/leader would ever declare for Order or Emp...and vica versa...why would Sab or Ethne go AV?

Why would Tebryn go to Order? Ever?

I'd love to see some changes along these lines, especially regarding alignment shifts due to religion. I don't think an evil civ/leader would ever declare for Order or Emp...and vica versa...why would Sab or Ethne go AV?

because
1. People change. Maybe Ethne is so desperate after Corlindales Death that she even makes a pact with demons to protect her people.
2. Why should Tebryn not try to corrupt the order?

For FfH the decision was made to enhance replayability by allowing most leaders to adopt any Religion. Very much a matter of fun trumping lore, which is I think a completely valid route.

IIRC the relevant numbers were changed awhile ago, enhancing each leader's likes/dislikes. Still relatively weak, however.

This stuff is easy to change if you want to do it yourself. Both files are in Assets/XML

In Assets/XML/Civilizations there's CIV4LeaderHeadInfos. Look to the ReligionWeightModifiers. The range is from -100 to +100. -100 means won't adopt. +100 makes it near(?) certain.

For the spread of religions you'd need to change Spreadfactor in XML/Gameinfo/CIV4ReligionInfo. Lower # means slower spread.

^^ Excellent info on the customization. Thanks a bunch. :)

I do very much agree with the replayability factor. It's a necessity for any game to trump lore in that regard...but it's really nice to be able to go in and tweak the xml how we want and uh uh uh 'fix' things. :D (like changing the requirement for Earthmother, Overlords and Forest religions to Philosophy instead of Mysticism...which puts them pretty much on par with the other religions in terms of tech requirements).

Events that come to me that are supposed to lower the AC counter don't seem to be effective as well. I had a -5 event pop up (I think it was cleansing the burning tree) but it only took the AC down to 17 from 20.
I believe I remember reading somewhere that the AC counter is a percentage thing. That there is a counter you can't see that counts ACTUAL points, of which you simply see a % effect.

The larger the map the more points required to change per Percent.

Events I believe are a fixed amount, so on larger maps a -5 changes the true counter by the exact same as on a smaller map. However the AC you see will be a much bigger swing on a smaller map for the same event.

Yeah I had no idea of the scaling of the AC due to maps...so that brought a lot of understanding to why the -2 Angels event or the -5 Burning Tree event only changed things by half of those values...

I tend to play huge maps, although lately due to a lot of ctd's I've gone down to large maps and 2 less civs (from 11 to 9 including mine).

Which unfortunately hasn't seemed to help the ctd issues...and I'm not so convinced that now that the ctd's are from the demon hordes.

My latest game is only at turn 600 or so, 9 civs, large map, AC counter is hovering at 10 or 11 pretty much and has been for quite awhile. The last 50 or so turns have been frustrating as I'm getting completely random ctd's for seemingly no reason...and at that AC value, there's no hell terrain or demon hordes to blame.

I wish there was a rhyme or a reason to the ctd's, but they are so random. Last night my last crash was from missing a key. I hit zero on my numpad by accident instead of the right arrow key next to it. Crash.

The crash before that, Falamar was introducing himself to me. I clicked on 'There shall be peace in our time' and crashed. Reload. Get through that, he asks for open borders, I clicked the 'go to hell, erm, I mean the 'not going to happen' option adn crashed. Bleh.

Top Bottom