1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accept this or pay the consequence.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Xong, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Xong

Xong Chieftain

Accept this or pay the consequence.

Territory Map
    10 gold

Seriously, does anyone get annoyed with this? i could just offer these as gifts if i want to. If ever i encounter these threats i sometimes just let it be and give it to them and let them gloat or insult, i mean, what could the AI possibly benefit from this ransom (or would they?). The ransom price is just not worth to get my knights killed. I would start thinking about considering my choices if it were a tech or a city though.

I know some prideful people (including myself) hates these dilemmas since were letting the AI push us especially when i see them much powerful than me... i just want to know what are you're thoughts on this and what would you usually do.

2. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Early on, or if I'm the weakest one around, I pay up. If the AI in question is significantly weaker than me, and/or is in no position to seriously threaten me (ie, different continents) I tell them to go away. Around half the time I've been given similar demands, they've turned out to be bluffs.

Edit: If I'm weaker than the demanding AI, but not the weakest around, and we're at a similar tech level, I tell them off. If they were bluffing, it's all good; if they weren't, sign everyone up for a dogpile and take some cities.

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Turn down the aggression level to minimal aggression and it will happen less frequently.

4. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Chieftain

I recently started disconnecting extra resources so that the AI cannot make this kind of demand for something I don't won't to give it. Remember the AI is just an It, why take anything it says personnally. I never 'burn any bridges' by refusing to give it some insignificant amount of gold and move it more towards a war. Of course when I want to go to war it rarely gives me these choices.

5. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

That's actually a good strategy if you're weak. They won't demand your only one of a resource but they will demand additional ones. Another is only to hook up the resource when you know you can trade it immediately.

Of course when you're strong enough you then refuse and hope they declare on you. Saves the diplo hits for declaring war. However, if the AI knows it's weaker it won't declare. I often find the blustering excuses entertaining.

6. MysteryX

MysteryX Chieftain

I remember every tribute demanded of me in the Ancient ages when I am weak. When I am stronger in the Middle Ages, I start settling each balance sheet.

7. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

On a low level, I might tell them to shove it, on monarch or higher, I probably will concede until I am powerful.

8. Daeron

Daeron The Apprentice

Accept this or pay the consequences equals war happiness at later stages of the game for me, so I'm quite happy with it. Plus, you can also do it to them when you get your civ rolling.

9. bigFRANK

bigFRANK Chieftain

I love these approaches, normally turn them down. Often turn them down and then make a demand on the other civ which I have had accepted on more than one occasion (e.g. demand for Territory Map by Iroquois, turned down and rebuffed with demand for world map and 30GPT, accepted). The odd time a war is provoked I can usually turn foreign opinion against the aggressor if I feel worried about them militarily otherwise I am more than happy to go give them a spank for declaring war on me.

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I find it's rare that the AI declares war on you in these situations, except when there is an extreme power difference, if they are Cautious or more friendly towards you. At Furious, it's rare that they won't declare war on you.

It's most annoying when they demand something actually useful (tech or resources) and you aren't suited towards war, but then it's also proper extortion. The small demands I find a minor nuisance unless there's enough AIs who are more powerful than you, that you can never save up any money at all. Then it becomes an issue.

11. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

There are so many factors that play into this, most have been covered. This is what I weigh:

Do I really care about what they are demanding?
    No. Reasons to give in - Take it and go away. I don't have time for your childish games.
    Reasons to say no - I'm looking to pick a fight anyway. Volunteers are always welcome, particularly when they come with the gift of war happiness. Look at all the friends I invited to the party! Besides, when the AI goes to war, research usually suffers on their end. It’s a good way to slow them down (less investment and fewer trading partners).
    Yes. Reasons to give in – I dread what will happen if I don't. I don't want to spend the resources to fight the AI. I don't want to halt my expansion to fight over the last pretzel in the bowl. I don't want to end up at the bottom of a dogpile. All alternatives appear more expensive.
    Reasons to say no - You can pry it from my cold, dead hands. Even if you were the last Civ on earth I wouldn’t give you the satisfaction.

Can they reach me (or reach me in a reasonable amount of time)?
    No. Reasons to give in - no chance of war, keep trading partners for techs/luxuries.
    Reasons to say no - the AI will never suicide galley, let them stew on the other side of the world and enjoy the war happiness. Danger - they get other AI's into the war or ones that are closer to you or you end up unable to trade techs effectively/efficiently.
    Yes. Reasons to give in - don't want to fight a pointless war over 10gp and a map. I'd rather build then conquer, Keep trading partners.
    Reasons to say no - the AI may declare. Gain war happiness and fish for leaders as units straggle into my territory. It’s time to expand and they just volunteered for a national realignment of their interests with mine.

Are they stronger than me?
    No. Reason to give in - basically none, but might not want to bother with fighting an enemy I can't reach or risk the AI starting a world war because I wouldn't give him my left shoe. World wars limit trading options and money making opportunities.
    Reason to say no - I'm ready to claim their land in the name of the one true and lawful nation - MINE. Also, if they declare on me I'm in no real danger - enjoy war happiness and fish for leaders.
    Yes. Reasons to give in - Don't want to fight a war of attrition against a stronger enemy or pay even more to bribe other AIs into helping beat up on the bigger kid. Not ready to take them on and have no real hope of gaining any territory/resources from a clash. Possible dogpile with associated problems.
    Reasons to say no - The AI is getting out of control and it is time to take them down a notch. Start a dogpile on them and isolate them from trading partners. I'm ready to leader fish and the war happiness is always nice. They are asking for something I just won't give up - like that shiny new tech that I am trading around but they can't afford.

Do I have the resources to pull in allies to help in the fight?
    No. Reasons to give in - the AI is stronger and has the means to start a dogpile on me. Aside from the possible military problems, this will also isolate me from trading techs and other items.
    Reasons to say no - I am strong enough to stand alone and I don't care if a dogpile starts; I'm the tech leader and a military powerhouse that can fend off each spearman as they individually land on my coast. Note: avoid using tanks, just in case.:D
    Yes. Reasons to give in - the other AI is stronger and it will cost me more to bring in my allies than to just pay them off. The AI is strong enough to bride some allies of its own and world wars limit trading possibilities.
    Reasons to say no - Let them declare and start a dogpile. Receive war happiness while isolating the aggressive AI from the trade network.

What I don’t ask myself:
    Will this make me appear weak? The AI doesn’t care how many times you buckled to demands. This is about relative strength – the AI will make a demand based on aggression and if it calculates it has the strength to take it.
    Can my pride handle this? –Or- They can’t do that to me! Hmmm. . . . Pride doesn’t matter. I’ll even the score later; either by war or making the AI pay through the nose for a tech, luxury or resource.

12. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Raliuven gave a nice summary. The main thing is relative strenth if they're on the same continent. If they're stronger you will have trouble with the fallout and they're likely to declare. In some situations it feels like the AI is telling you to fetch a stick so it can beat you with it. I don't think I've ever given in to a demand if I'm stronger - although if it's like 10 gold I'll consider it.

13. Daeron

Daeron The Apprentice

A few times I have given in while I was stronger, because my troops were out of position. If you're already tied up in a war, it can leave part of your borders pretty weak.

14. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Sell your map with any frequency and they will stop asking for it. This is important when your map means something to the AI and you are playing a higher difficulty level as you can extract value from the map. If you give it to one you know they are selling it to anyone who will pay up and the intrinsic value is wrecked.

15. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

One sentence that perfectly summarizes the situation. I almost sprayed diet pepsi out of my nose!

:lol: :D :lol: :goodjob: