1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accidental wins

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by earthwulf, Aug 7, 2013.

1. earthwulf

earthwulf Warlord

This ever happen to you? Last night I was going for a science vic (huge/terra/king) & was a turn away from getting the last spaceship part... and I grab a culture win.

It wasn't even something I was really paying attention to. :crazyeye:

2. FrostK

FrostK Prince

it is mostly because of King, on Immortal it is unlikely, on Deity - impossible

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Culture is more of a sneaky victory, it is, probably the only sneaky, because it is passive and accumulates over time.

You can't get a Diplomatic Victory "by accident" because chances are you weren't focusing on it.

You can't get a Domination Victory "by accident" because.. well, you'd be a warmonger

You can't get a Science Victory "by accident" because you would change your research path AND have to built each space part.. so unless you just said "ah screw the other victory" then that's not really an accident.. is it?

The only other accidental victory is Time, but I don't think that's considered a proper victory by devs (or me..)

4. tat501

tat501 Warlord

You can certainly get a diplomatic victory by accident. If you've got more money than anyone else you'll likely have lots of CS allies anyway. Then the world leader vote comes up and it would be foolish not to vote for yourself and win the game...

It seems to happen to me all the time. Ive got fed up of diplomatic victories so Ive moved up from King to Emperor now. Lets see what happens.

5. simonthesinner

simonthesinner Chieftain

If you're going for dominaion, the caaumulation of wonders and great works and the weakening of other nations culture makes it so that you can trigger a culture victory "by accident", expecially if you take out the strongest civs first.

I also had a diplomatic win before I could get enough tourism for my first culture win. I had consulates, sent trade routes to those that requested it, and got "xxx is in awe of you", which meant I had enough city states for the vote. 3 turns before the last civ would be influential. I could have spread the votes out more, but honestly, who would throw a vote for world leader?

6. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

You can get a nice Diplo bonus for voting for someone else and just abstaining the rest of your votes

7. Vidszhite

Vidszhite Prince

I once accidentally bumbled into a Diplo victory while attempting Culture -- but really, I wasn't going to win Culturally, so Diplo it was.

8. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

When still learning BNW, I won culture while going for diplomatic victory. I had focused on culture for the entire game to get social policies and later, ideological tenets as fast as possible, and my efforts were further helped by Assyria who went smacking around and ignored my cultural power over everyone.