Aceman101's Save Game

Ok, but what is the issue? Did you want some question answered with regards to the save?

Yes, I think he was asking in "Quick Answers" if any of us could open a vanilla save. :)

That's a lot of swordsmen for being in the industrial age. Maybe you should use them to take over Zulu cities to reduce your unit costs (although apparently it doesn't matter). In levels above chieftain, negative gold per turn with no money disbands a unit and building per turn. You generally want to get out of despotism much earlier. It's better to build units from cities with barracks.

OK, Sorry to not reply sooner. What i want if that's ok , For you guys to check what i'm doing wrong with my science. Because I don't think that is going to well. Oh and my 0 Gold per turn, I always somehow get negative gold. So if it's OK can someone make a list of things i need to change for quicker science research. And i have a question, Does negative gold slow down science research? OK Thanks.

Too increase gold...
-build roads
-kill of some of the old units you don't need
-build markets/banks/stock xchange
-build more cities
-change some entertainers to taxmen
-change to republic (note- doesn't always work, but works with next to no units and a large empire)
-sell stuff to AI (techs, resources, luxes... in the late game, they give all their gold plus 50 some gold per turn)

If i really feel like it i will have lots of gold. But i'm too obsessed with building military units. But i had one game were i had 1000 gold +71 gpt after i built the wall street. But my military was only average. OK Someone tell me how to research science quicker. Look in my savegame and right down a list of what to change. Thanks. :D

So if it's OK can someone make a list of things i need to change for quicker science research. And i have a question, Does negative gold slow down science research? OK Thanks.

More gold can be translated into more beakers & faster research. Madviking already pointed out many of the things that can help you generate more gold: more roads, more cities, taxmen, etc. One thing to watch out for is maintenance. All of those city improvements cost gold and if you build too many, you'll wind up choking your economy. It's all about return on investment. If a building won't bring you enough benefit to warrant its construction, don't build it. As I've heard it said: Your cities don't need anything. The question is: What does my empire need a city to have?

As to negative gold, it's hard to tell from your post whether you mean "negative balance in the treasury" or "negative gold per turn." The first is very bad and will cost you (iiuc) units and buildings at levels above Chieftain. The latter is a common tactic to speed up research. For example, if I've got 200 gold in the treasury, maybe I can generate some extra research by setting my science slider so high that I actually wind up with a gold per turn figure of -25 gpt.

Edit: On the negative balance, see TimBentley's comments above.

The latter is a common tactic to speed up research. For example, if I've got 200 gold in the treasury, maybe I can generate some extra research by setting my science slider so high that I actually wind up with a gold per turn figure of -25 gpt.

When i'm negative in gold i just put science slider 100%. But If I go a level up i might learn to save more gold.

If you're playing on Chieftain, I don't think negative treasury balances make any difference. (Everybody, correct me if I'm wrong.) At higher levels, I really don't think you want to run negative treasury balances. The game (again, iiuc) will start scrapping your stuff.

Also, if you're playing on Chieftain, I'd recommend going ahead and moving up. Warlord isn't very different from Chieftain. You just get smaller bonuses against the AI.

Also, at Chieftain and Warlord, you are basically the research engine for the world. Go above that and a good deal of income can be generated through tech trading. Tech trading takes on a whole new dimension even at Regent.

In my next game i might try going up to warlord. Then i will learn to manage gold wisely.

Yeah, I should be able to win on Warlords. I've won lots of games on chieftain.

OK, Sorry to not reply sooner. What i want if that's ok , For you guys to check what i'm doing wrong with my science.
I'm kind of used to arguing against Monarchy but it's 1800AD and you are still in Despotism. Get out of this government now! This is your major hurdle to a faster tech rate. To demonstrate this I decided to play a few turns without changing everything that I would normally do...

First I saw that you could get Democracy so I traded for it...

You've generally got your empire well roaded so the commerce will increase under this government. If this wasn't available I would choose Republic. (You will need to be wary of War Weariness in these goverenments so make any wars short, sweet and decisive.)

Next I revolted. I was lucky; this could have been twice as many turns but even then you will soon recoup that time.

I then played out the four turns doing minimal stuff. I found a number of workers asleep in towns so I woke them and got them helping on a strategic rail network.

When the four turns was up, I then disbanded pretty much every sword, pike, and spear that you had to cut down on the unit costs. Whilst doing this any unit builds were switched to markets. Ther is no difference now in the negative gpt and your research time has been halved. Before and after F1 screens:

Personally I would not abuse the negative gpt on Chieftain and reduce my research to about 60%. This will still get electricity in fewer turns than when you were in Despotism.

There is a town that was building JSB. Whilst it is not the best place for a Forbidden Palace, it is far enough away from Washington to give you a second core and increase your commerce/reduce corruption dramatically. It will be ready in 7(?) turns. There are a number of markets that will soon be ready due to the shield boost from disbanding so many units and this will also increase commerce if you do not have your research at 100%. They will also kick off WLTKD (we love the king days) in many towns, thus reducing corruption even further.

You still have a massive military. I would take over the Zulu lands as this will be around you FP town and so form part of your second core and then lose some more obsolete units. Do not build any more military units, except for a few cannons perhaps. Build Libs and Unis in your core towns, Flood those plains to increase your population and notice the difference in your research power.

There is much more that I would do if it were my game but I didn't want to hide the effect of a change in government. #1 would be more workers!!!!

1808AD Save attached at the end of this post. Hope this helps a bit.

And i have a question, Does negative gold slow down science research? OK Thanks.
No, but you will lose units/buildings every turn above Chieftain.

Attachments

• The_Waging_War_1808AD.SAV
    298.4 KB · Views: 38
I'm kind of used to arguing against Monarchy but it's 1800AD and you are still in Despotism.

OK, I'm back again. I usually always get out of despotism and always into democracy. But this time i didn't want to wait 7 turns of anarchy. Thanks for the chart you did :goodjob:

You've generally got your empire well roaded so the commerce will increase under this government.

That's what i always do :D.

If this wasn't available I would choose Republic. (You will need to be wary of War Weariness in these goverenments so make any wars short, sweet and decisive.)

What's wrong with democracy. I know there's war weariness but I personally think democracy is the best government.

When the four turns was up, I then disbanded pretty much every sword, pike, and spear that you had to cut down on the unit costs. Whilst doing this any unit builds were switched to markets. Ther is no difference now in the negative gpt and your research time has been halved.

You, got rid of my obsolete units :sad: ... Wouldn't it have been better off just using them to attack the Zulu :confused:

Personally I would not abuse the negative gpt on Chieftain and reduce my research to about 60%. This will still get electricity in fewer turns than when you were in Despotism.

Yeah I know my science slidder is 100% and i am negative in gold :(. But i'll get better :).

There is a town that was building JSB. Whilst it is not the best place for a Forbidden Palace, it is far enough away from Washington to give you a second core and increase your commerce/reduce corruption dramatically. It will be ready in 7(?) turns. There are a number of markets that will soon be ready due to the shield boost from disbanding so many units and this will also increase commerce if you do not have your research at 100%. They will also kick off WLTKD (we love the king days) in many towns, thus reducing corruption even further.

:goodjob:

You still have a massive military. I would take over the Zulu lands as this will be around you FP town and so form part of your second core and then lose some more obsolete units. Do not build any more military units, except for a few cannons perhaps. Build Libs and Unis in your core towns, Flood those plains to increase your population and notice the difference in your research power.

So I still have a few military units left. For me it's impossible not to build military units. But i'll try my hardest not to, and build more improvements.

There is much more that I would do if it were my game but I didn't want to hide the effect of a change in government/ #1 would be more workers!!!!

Build more workers? I didn't get them asleep for nothing, there were no more jobs for them to do.

1808AD Save attached at the end of this post. Hope this helps a bit.

It will :goodjob:.

No, but you will lose units/buildings every turn above Chieftain.

Thanks For The Info Tone :beer:.

What's wrong with democracy. I know there's war weariness but I personally think democracy is the best government.
well really the question should be what does demo offer that Republic doesn't give? The answer is not that simple but the reason why I go for Republic is that I can get it a lot sooner. (I'm currently playing a Cheiftain game for the HoF and I got into republic at around 1990BC.) demo does have some benefits such as lower corruption and faster workers but it requires two optional techs and a revolution when you're going to be large which gives a greater chance of a long revolution if you are not a REL civ. I could go on but there are plenty of threads here that will talk about it forever. Do what you think is best for your style and enjoy!

You, got rid of my obsolete units :sad: ... Wouldn't it have been better off just using them to attack the Zulu :confused:
IMO you had enough quality units to sort them out. Why hold onto a load of obsolete defensive units? No need to play on from what I did though, i only did minimal stuff whilst trying to get to demo to show why despotism is a bad government. In future I recommend not spending all those 365 turns in the worst government! ;)
So I still have a few military units left. For me it's impossible not to build military units. But i'll try my hardest not to, and build more improvements.
No no no no no!!!!!!! Carry on building units. (Build improvements only if they actually give a benefit.) Just stop hoarding useless spears and pikes and start building units such as cavs that are going to hurt the civs you pick on. I suggest that you start to actually use the units that you build before they become obsolete!
Build more workers? I didn't get them asleep for nothing, there were no more jobs for them to do.
You are joking, right?:lol: You've roaded/railed and mined/irrigated every tile so that your cities are at pop 12? Not as far as I remember! I recall a number of mined plains around core towns that had a population of two and an empire that needed a strategic rail network to then be extended to improve food and production in all cities. Isn't there some jungle around as well? When you get Steam Power, your need for workers is massive!

Good Luck!

well really the question should be what does demo offer that Republic doesn't give? The answer is not that simple but the reason why I go for Republic is that I can get it a lot sooner. (I'm currently playing a Cheiftain game for the HoF and I got into republic at around 1990BC.) demo does have some benefits such as lower corruption and faster workers but it requires two optional techs and a revolution when you're going to be large which gives a greater chance of a long revolution if you are not a REL civ. I could go on but there are plenty of threads here that will talk about it forever. Do what you think is best for your style and enjoy!
OK, I'll try a different goverment for a few turns.

IMO you had enough quality units to sort them out. Why hold onto a load of obsolete defensive units? No need to play on from what I did though, i only did minimal stuff whilst trying to get to demo to show why despotism is a bad government. In future I recommend not spending all those 365 turns in the worst government! ;)

Once again, I'll try a different goverment just to see how it is.

No no no no no!!!!!!! Carry on building units. (Build improvements only if they actually give a benefit.) Just stop hoarding useless spears and pikes and start building units such as cavs that are going to hurt the civs you pick on. I suggest that you start to actually use the units that you build before they become obsolete!

That's what i was doing the whole time. I was building Cavs. It may not appear so because i have many spears and swordsman. But they were from the ancient age.

You are joking, right?:lol: You've roaded/railed and mined/irrigated every tile so that your cities are at pop 12? Not as far as I remember! I recall a number of mined plains around core towns that had a population of two and an empire that needed a strategic rail network to then be extended to improve food and production in all cities. Isn't there some jungle around as well? When you get Steam Power, your need for workers is massive!

I'm not in electricity yet so the demand for workers isn't much currently. So i put them to sleep untill steam power came. But there may have been a few workers were i accidently didn't wake up.

Good Luck!

Yes I'm gonna need it ;). And thanks for the quick reply.

PS: I will play off were you started.

Top Bottom