Achievement Fiends

Bkeela

Warlord
Any achievement fiends here? Any hint what the achievements for 6 will be? Is it a bit unfair to earn certain achievements like win a Deity game when things might still be seriously unbalanced?

I'm a trophy hunter on PS4, but haven't really gotten into achievements on PC. Maybe that will change starting Friday. I don't think earning such things is unfair if the game is unbalanced based on how the game shipped--that's the developer's fault.

I can be, but it... depends. Civ 5 got out of hand with hordes of achievements, with a lot for scenarios and other nonsense I didn't care about, on the other hand most of beyond earth's were 'play game, win game, or do basic game <action> 1,000 times. There was no sense of actual achievement. (And winning on sputnik difficulty really lowers the bar- I still don't have that, because I can't stay awake through baby difficulty.) I don't have a lot of Rising Tide achievements either, because the expansion still failed to make the game interesting, just no longer entirely incomplete.

Achievements should feel like accomplishing something outside of the most straightforward gameplay elements. Or bizarre snipe hunt combos, which Civ 5 did a lot of.

There will always be a win with leader X and win at all levels as well as each getting a special one. Something like "This is Sparta" (Decline an delegation as Gorgo).

I just want to finish games with all leaders this time, maybe trying all difficulties...gosh, I don't even go above King on CiV

There will always be a win with leader X and win at all levels as well as each getting a special one. Something like "This is Sparta" (Decline an delegation as Gorgo).

Not always.

In Civ V, Siam never got a special achievement.

There was speculation that the Siam achievement was one of the removed ones (Elephant Battle - win an elephant-on-elephant battle against India) that was never implemented.

I'll be going after the achievements. I hope to start a thread where people discuss how they play/set up their games to get achievements. Something different from a guide, I'm sure someone will start one of those, but more stories of what people are doing as they pursue achievements. Hopefully one mega thread for this rather than one for each person.

I can be, but it... depends. Civ 5 got out of hand with hordes of achievements, with a lot for scenarios and other nonsense I didn't care about, on the other hand most of beyond earth's were 'play game, win game, or do basic game <action> 1,000 times. There was no sense of actual achievement. (And winning on sputnik difficulty really lowers the bar- I still don't have that, because I can't stay awake through baby difficulty.) I don't have a lot of Rising Tide achievements either, because the expansion still failed to make the game interesting, just no longer entirely incomplete.

Achievements should feel like accomplishing something outside of the most straightforward gameplay elements. Or bizarre snipe hunt combos, which Civ 5 did a lot of.

I had fun playing Civ IV settler level but with the goal of getting all wonders. I did it with vanilla, but I couldn't get all wonders with Beyond the Sword, let alone all corporations. Anyway, that's my plan if there is a win settler achievement.

If we win the game on, say, Prince level, does that earn us the achievement for beating the game on Chieftain too? Or will we have to play out a game on Chieftain to get the "beat Chieftain" achievement?

If we win the game on, say, Prince level, does that earn us the achievement for beating the game on Chieftain too? Or will we have to play out a game on Chieftain to get the "beat Chieftain" achievement?

If it is the same as civ5, the latter. You must beat the game on that specific diffficulty, higer ones don't count (and honestly, this was quite annoying).

Thanks; I was worried you'd say that. I suppose I could play my first game on Chieftain to get it out of the way, and to see lots of Wonder movies, but hmm.

When getting achievement on a lower level, just make it a variant game where you up the difficulty with self-imposed goals, house rules, and restrictions. Otherwise, games at Immortal or below become snoozefests.

Interestingly enough, having the game be able to access FireTuner (modding tool) now disables achievements. Which could be a real pain having to swap that option on and off every time I want to work on a mod.

Well, at least there's a menu option to turn it on now.

Top Bottom