1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

achievement statistics seem to make no sense

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by king of nowhere, Apr 12, 2017.

1. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Warlord

so, I was looking at the achievement statistics, and I am quite puzzled. as it turns out, the achievement unlocked by most people is to make 6 improvements. which, really, you will do in any game. it has been unlocked by 83% of people. What? what about the other 17%? there really is no way you can play this game without making improvements. so it means that one person in 6 who bought this game never used it? how is that possible? i could understand if it was an old game, and steam started giving it away in bundles so many people would get it and would never play it. but it is still new, expensive, who would buy it without playing? A few other achievements that you will get almost automatically by playing one game are also around 80%, again confirming that some 20% of people who bought the game apparently never played it.
    then the second surprise: win a game at any difficulty is only done by 39% of players. less than half of those who actually played? again, how is that possible? ok, godlike requires skill, but on the lower difficulties winning is really easy. I was trying to get the achievement where with schitya you had to reconquer a city from persia, so I had to get a city conquered first; i founded a city next to persia's doorstep, away from the rest of my land, no walls or anything, I kept my units well away from it, i declared war in the ancient era, and waited to be conquered. after a while i tought maybe my military power convinced persia to not attack, so i disbanded each and every single unit i owned. then i made builders and settlers and sent them to be captured, just to try to help persia get a good economy. nothing. i arrived at a point where I was forced to tech civil engineering, and so I gave up and tried at a higher difficulty. And that was difficulty 4 out of 8. I could not lose despite much trying, how could half the players fail to win at any difficulty? I can see some may just stop playing once the game is clealry won, but still, 40%? and two thirds of those only win at prince or lower, so it means most player do actually try the lowest diffficulties.
    victory conditions are 9% religious, 16% domination, 18% science, 23% culture - strangely because most players traditionally don't go for culture victory; though at the easier difficulties it is easy to get a culture victory by accident without even trying. We get a total of 75, out of 40% of players who won at least once, meaning an average of 1.5 different victories for every player. Most players out there only won in one single way.
    the single leader that won the most games is trajan, with 10%. Meaning that a whole lot of people do not play with more than a handful of civs, or do not play more than one game. well, it may happen that they buy a new expensive game, then they get tired and stop using it after one single game, but if it happens as often as statistical analysis seem to suggest, it doesn't look good for the average human intelligence.

So, I was curious if some of you could shed some more light on those strange numbers and help find a sense to them.

2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I have wondered about those numbers, too. I think there's a fairly large group of people who buy pretty much every new title. Some of them don't even try all of the games they buy. Some start a game and if it doesn't grab them, they move on. Some of those will try it again after a bunch of patches or an expansion. With Civ VI, undoubtedly some got bored, others got confused by all the choices, and still others lost an early unit to a barb and gave up.

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

They may play offline. In which case you can't earn achievements

They may also enable FireTuner, which disables achievements as well.

I know that "win a game" took me two or three weeks into the game before I finally won a game (because I couldn't get into it).

4. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

I have purchased many games on Steam on sale...and many of them I don't install or try out for months.

4N4C0ND4 likes this.
  5. sa1vy

sa1vy Warlord

I haven't played 1/3 of my steam library. Another 1/3 I've only played a couple hours. I feel like that's not unusual at all.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

There was a thread on what victory type people preferred and culture came out top so that stat sounds right.

Warmongers often only play warmonger games, peaceful types will likely never go for a domination win.

And no, I do not hold out much hope for human intelligence

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Lanthar likes this.
  7. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Offline would be my guess.

Also, as for 'win a game' thing, I believe it's quite a usual thing among Civ players to not finish games actually :D

Eagle Pursuit and Victoria like this.
  8. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I'd maybe try a domination win if they give me back the keyboard movement :D Otherwise it's just too damn much dragging and clicking.

9. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I've got over 200 hours in the game, I think it's a lot of fun to play, and yet I've only ever twice had the "win a game on any difficulty" achievement fullfilled in a game, and both weren't exactly "honest", as one was a duel map with online speed where I found out my opponent was Kongo (yeah...) and the other was a settler difficulty one opponent map where I wanted to just do as much peaceful expansion as possible, came across my opponent early and wiped them away to actually be able to do that peaceful expansion after winning the domination victory in the ancient era. I bet I'm not the only one that's bad at finishing games.

Dragging isn't needed lol.

Guess that knowledge matters enough you might actually enjoy it... :)

10. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Do you have achievement with mods in civ6 ? in civ5 you couldn't , and a lot of people play with a few mods as I understand from reading this forum.

11. Victoria

I have no mods, only looked once at the stats board once and stopped when I read "flight Slingulator".

12. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Warlord

oh, that explains everything. I suspected something like this may have been going on.
    yes, but steam does often give old games for free or for a handful of coins. civ is around 60 euros, i doubt many people are rich enough that they will spend that much for a game they do not intend to play.

13. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

I fully intend to play every game I purchase...it's just sometimes, I don't have time right away. Sometimes, I just don't like a game, and end up not playing enough to trigger any or many achievements.

For the launch of Civ IV, I got to play for about 2 hours before a real life crisis struck and I was buried in work for about two months.

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

In Civ VI, you can get achievements while running mods. You just can't get "Win a regular game..." with a different rule set (like used for scenarios). Someone provided a good explanation of exactly what that means in another thread on this topic (Sorry, on my phone, can't add a link atm).

15. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

What's your problem , the play on word is quite nice isn't it ?

16. Victoria

No, the words are funny, the tasks amusing but not tasks I really want to bother doing. I fully understand other people wanting to, everyone has different drives, which is why, it just does not float my boat

17. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

There's a mod for it! I got tired of waiting for them to patch it in.

https://civ6mods.com/2017/01/numpad-movement-mod-1-0/

Rosty K likes this.
  18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

It may seem crazy to us civ fanatics, but some games just don't hold people's interest. Although personally I won't buy a game unless I'm fairly sure I'll like it (I'll watch gameplay vids on youtube since I don't trust reviews anymore).

That said, there have been games where I didn't view gameplay vids before playing and have very little play and have yet to finish one game. Sid Meier's Colonization is one game (the new version), and also Xenonauts which I bought out of word of mouth alone (a mistake). And I still haven't finished my Xcom2 game either, and I'm not sure that I will. Sid Meier's Pirates is another game I bought I still haven't gotten around to playing. But as I said above, I usually will only buy games I like, and every single other steam game I bought I have finished.

Also many games are given as gifts. I gifted my brother Civ6 last Christmas, and while I think he played at least one game, I'm not sure if he ever finished it. He's not into the civ series much any more like he used to be. He's too much into shooter games and games like Overwatch (I don't even know what Overwatch is). Many people are gifted games, and never play them, or they are gifted a game they just don't like.

That said, you'd think people would play enough to build 3 improvements. But there is the other possibility that people just aren't smart enough to understand the game rules (like having to build another builder in order to build more improvements after 3) and quit out of frustration.

19. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

My friend works in the games industry and has a Steam "press account" (not sure of its real name). He basically owns every game on steam, every game I look at he is in the box of friends who play this game. So although he does play Civ im guessing there is a lot of people out there with these types of accounts that don't play the game so although they technically own the game they will be bumping the percentage of people to not hit one game played.

I have already asked my friend if he can put a clause in his will that gives me his steam log in :)

20. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Some of 2K's achievements across all their games are indeed things that mostly see if those who purchased the game have actually played it for 1 minute / 5 minutes / 30 minutes / an hour. (Of course they aren't going to pick up anyone who switched immediately to offline mode before playing if they don't switch back to online mode at some point.)

Paradox has some achievements with similar (lack of) difficulty ; only they are also effectively checking how many people try "Iron Man" mode as most / all achievements are disabled unless in that mode.

Victoria likes this.