Achievements

How many Achievements have you unlocked? (Standard + Vikings + Poland)

• Got'em all - 113

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Getting close - 100-112

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80 - 99

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 60 - 79

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 40 - 59

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 20 - 39

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 1 - 19

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have no idea - Achievements are a joke

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosque

Warlord
I have been playing since Civ 1 in the early 90s. And I have lurked here for years, but only got around to signing up last fall, and have only made a few posts since then.

I know a lot of CivFanatics don't care about Achievements. But I was thrilled when I hit 113 over the weekend. Of course, now we are waiting for the new ones to be unlocked, hopefully this week. And I know I am definitely not the first to 113, but decided to put up a poll to see how many of you have done it (without using any cheat files).

In the past week, I finally achieved several that I thought I might never get, and will pass along my hints.

For "You are a terrible person" select a duel map with China as your only opponent. Build several settlers and surround China. Be prepared to chop an encampment when you see him start a wonder. You may have to declare war and steal his builder to prevent him from completing the wonder before you complete your encampment.

For both "What do you mean, active volcano?" and for "100th anniversary", choose a huge map, and a cold climate. Eyjafyallajokull, Crater Lake and Yosemite all seem to have a cold start bias. Although you need a huge map, delete all but a couple of AI opponents to give you room to settle near those wonders.

For "Finn MacCool's pipe organ" again choose a huge map. But this time add a couple of extra AI opponents. With 14 or 15 AI's, you should have 20 -22 city states, almost guaranteeing that Armagh will be in the game. You still have to get lucky on the Giant's causeway.

For those last three, try to get them sooner rather than later. With more DLC's coming, there will probably be more new natural wonders and new city states. The more there are, the more difficult it will be to get the right combination.

Which ones have been most difficult for you to achieve?

Last edited:
I like achievements. But not in a gotta get 'em all way. Reached 46.
Recently have been trying out things talked about in the forums, so lots of restarts after 100-150 turns and as I result I don't have all the achievements for wins with all the civs or map sizes etc. Let alone the more complicated ones.

At first, I ignored them too. But eventually I decided that chasing achievements was a way to create new challenges in playing the game, to keep it new.

At first, I ignored them too. But eventually I decided that chasing achievements was a way to create new challenges in playing the game, to keep it new.
I did the same with Civ V, it extended the life of that game for me ...still didn't get them all. Spent too much time playing as the Mongols

Since this is an achievement thread:

Can anybody clarify wether achievements still work when you use the detailed worlds mod? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

On topic: I'm not a huge achievement chaser, but when I pick a civ for a game, I usually look what achievements there are for that specific civ. I managed to get the one for England, Aztecs and Japan. Didn't manage to get the one for Greece though.

I have had the game for about a week now, and in four finished games (one for each VC) I have 30 (maybe 31) achievements. I think the achievements are a great way to make each play through more interesting to attempt something with each civ or to try different things out. For example, in my play though to test out the Religious VC, Zanzibar popped up as a City State so I sent Envoys and founded Zentropism to get the We Are the Champions achievement with my Religious win.

Can anybody clarify wether achievements still work when you use the detailed worlds mod? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

As long as this mod is using the standard ruleset, achievements will work.

I'm soooooooooooooooo bad at actually completing my games... Actually only completed one so far, and then realized that, as it was a game a mod that uses rulesets, didn't count for the "regular victory" achievements. So yeah, I fall in the 1-19, though I'd probably be one category higher if that game had counted (I'd have had 6 for achievement, 1 for religious victory, 1 for map size, 1 for leader, etc).

I don't understand, for the life of me, what this achievement means, and after doing research online. Anyone can help me?

Have 5 cities on landmasses 5 or less tiles with Indonesia

Does it mean that they have to be in different landmasses and each has to have 5 or less tiles? I mean, by settling you have six already, but then you have to place them just so on the coast as to not have as many tiles on land, right?

Is 113 the number of achievements before DLC? I have all 153 pre-R&F.

Edit: I reread the title.

Last edited:
Does it mean that they have to be in different landmasses and each has to have 5 or less tiles? I mean, by settling you have six already, but then you have to place them just so on the coast as to not have as many tiles on land, right?

I believe they are referring to land, not sea tiles.

The easy way to get this achievement is to play Greatest Earth map (from the YnaMP mod) TSL, and settle on 2 and 3 tiles islands. Real easy to get.

Achievements are cool but I usually like them more when one pops up and surprises me and I get to find out what I just did or condition I met.

I see no appeal in loading someone else's save to collect them all though

I like them as additional goals in the game, additional motivation to play the game. Especially all those civilization-related ones. I hate the achievements based on random stuff and mostly those requiring some action from the AI oponent - how can this be even called MY achievement? :)
Btw, do you have the Luftballons achievement (Use a bomber class unit to detonate a nuclear device, as long as its base and 9 Observation Balloons are located on the continent of Nena at the time of detonation.)? I've been checking the continent names in every single game and I haven't seen Nena at all :(

Achievements means less than used toiletpaper to me...
Cool

I like them as additional goals in the game, additional motivation to play the game. Especially all those civilization-related ones. I hate the achievements based on random stuff and mostly those requiring some action from the AI oponent - how can this be even called MY achievement? :)
Btw, do you have the Luftballons achievement (Use a bomber class unit to detonate a nuclear device, as long as its base and 9 Observation Balloons are located on the continent of Nena at the time of detonation.)? I've been checking the continent names in every single game and I haven't seen Nena at all :(
You have to get lucky with the continent names. Every once in a while nena pops up. Somehow it appears on inland sea maps more often

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand, for the life of me, what this achievement means, and after doing research online. Anyone can help me?

Have 5 cities on landmasses 5 or less tiles with Indonesia

The entire landmass that the city is on has to be five tiles or less (it does not matter how many land tiles are owned by the city or not). And you need five such cities.

As long as we are talking Achievements, when do the new R&F Achievements get unlocked? We are less than 3 days now from the release of the expansion.

As long as we are talking Achievements, when do the new R&F Achievements get unlocked? We are less than 3 days now from the release of the expansion.

Going off the DLC, its normally the very last thing that happens right before the actual download becomes available. So they'll probably stop being placeholders Thursday about 2 minutes before R&F is released.

Top Bottom