Honestly, I wouldn't mind the same happening to him if I was the victim. I guess I would only try to let go of this hatred and revenge fantasies because it would do me no good. But not because I had the aspiration to be a better human being. On the other hand, having the wisdom to let it go would make me a better human being, I guess. But not for the sake of being a better human being. More like because I shriek away from the costs of doing the same.

It just seems so.. vile for anyone to want something like that to happen to another human being. Says as much about the initial crime as it does about anyone saying stuff like that, IMO

I agree it is pretty mean. If you are directly affected, I think no one can fault you to want to be that mean.

That is understandable, we are human beings after all and as such prone to an emotional response.. but none of us are relatives or friends of the victim, I don't think.

I'm not bloodthirsty about this at all. MAIM! KILL! BURN! EXTERMINATE!

I mean, to be clear, I'm not actually in favor of the options I presented. It's just that threads about acid attacks always invite eye-for-an-eye sorts of responses, and I thought I'd at least be creative about it rather than the usual "burn them back with acid!" type of thing.

If I were Supreme Dictator of the World, I would give acid attackers fairly long prison sentences but with no additional psychological torture, and I'd also design prison systems to be as rehabilitative as possible, and get rid of public access to criminal records wherever that exists, and so on and so forth. But it's fun to think of the dark side.

Actually cake that's not a bad idea. Give the person a prison sentence for grievous bodily harm or whatever the normal way, and then give them a huge dose - let's say about 2000 ug - of LSD in their first meal behind bars. They will have the worst acid trip in the history of acid trips, because of the already traumatic process of their first day in prison. Other prisoners will mess with them ruthlessly in that highly vulnerable state, as well.
Lets remain civilised. Cut hands and nose.:ninja:

Long prison sentence with focus on rehabilitation. And forced sterilization, just in case.

That is what you say now. But as any Supreme Leader knows, you would be quickly too busy executing your opposition. Probably with acid and LSD!
Yeah I see right through you...
Well yeah, you know what they say about absolute power...

But no, state torture in Bootstan would start out not happening, but then of course the power would go to my head and I might start acting like a Supreme Leader. I could certainly see LSD being used in the reeducation camps, although maiming people with strong acids and bases, or physical torture in general, isn't really my style. However the standards for research ethics regarding human subjects might be relaxed a bit, shall we say. :mischief:

Not in a Mengele sort of way, though. Mengele didn't get good data and mostly focused on torturing his victims in stupid ways. In Bootstan, we'd try to do actually interesting things. Like making humanzees and CRISPR-ing human embryos and whatnot. All the while also doing nice constructive experiments, like giving a UBI to everyone living in a randomly selected 33 of the 99 poorest counties in America and seeing how they end up doing vs. their non-UBI'd neighbors.

Don't take my comments to mean I think people in here would actually go through with their hypothetical threats of doing those things to the attacker. I get it, acts like these bring up exactly the same initial reactions inside of me. I start to boil and I start feeling rage that this happened and at first I want to just.. .. .. ... but then I realize, hey, I'm not the jury and executioner here, we have a civilized society here, more or less, I gotta be better than the guy.. just because he stooped so low doesn't mean he has to bring me along with him for the ride

I do gotta give you, that was a more fun angrydreampunishment than I've run into for a while Boots. I just have this mental image of a glass of orange juice screaming "Don't drink me!" in the corner of a cell. :mwaha:
Spoiler :

;)

But no, state torture in Bootstan would start out not happening, but then of course the power would go to my head and I might start acting like a Supreme Leader. I could certainly see LSD being used in the reeducation camps, although maiming people with strong acids and bases, or physical torture in general, isn't really my style.

I promise I won't try to overthrow you as long as you put me in charge of the climate change-denier reeducation camps :devil:

Better to just have a nice quick public hanging after a trial. The State should be impartial in its dispensing of the law and justice.

And this is why some day there actually will be Judge Dredd.

We should cut off the hands of thieves to really drive home the message that we frown on thievery. Surely, there will be no more stealing if there's threat of limb amputation?

(I would personally like to think that we've survived long enough as a species and have a solid enough grasp on history to know that executions and maiming in response to crime don't really do anything except fulfill citizen bloodlust.)

Satisfying the widespread desire for brutality en masse is no better than allowing the individual to satisfy their own.
We should cut off the hands of thieves to really drive home the message that we frown on thievery. Surely, there will be no more stealing if there's threat of limb amputation?

(I would personally like to think that we've survived long enough as a species and have a solid enough grasp on history to know that executions and maiming in response to crime don't really do anything except fulfill citizen bloodlust.)

A page late, but better said. Well done.

You could always put them in a cell and make them listen to Justin Bieber 24/7 for a few months.....

Top Bottom