Acquiring Spies

proftc

Chieftain
In Civ5, you got spies mostly as you got to a new age. Obviously, without ages, Beyond Earth is gonna have to be different. I haven't seen anything, maybe other people have, so, does anyone know how you get spies?

I know there's a virtue that gives you an additional spy.

Maybe you get them as you level up in your affinity?
Maybe you get to buy them?

I figure if they're going to give a faction a UA about spies, they likely play a decently sized role, and I'd want to have a decent number of them.

I would guess that they come with either affinity levels, as you mentioned, or with certain techs. But that is, of course, just a guess.

If they come with affinities, I wonder if certain affinities have more spies than others?

No information has been released yet.
(Other than the Virtues, and a national Wonder you need to get spies)

Getting them from affinity levels make sense
(Probably something like 1 spy for every 2 total affinity levels so Harmony-5 Purity-3 Supremacy-1 gets 4 spies)
If you can buy them (with energy, culture, science, production?) the fact that you also get some from a virtue suggests they are either very expensive.. Or perhaps have increasing costs.

I'm hoping that they require some effort to acquire. Being given free spies was, I think, one of the worse aspects of Civ V. I have no problem with a limited number of spy slots, but one should at least have to train or buy them. How goofy would it be if, when the first civilization researched Iron, you were magically given a Swordsman?

Affinity as source of spies makes sense as high-level affinity levels provide specific spy missions for all affinities. There could be any other sources like wonders, techs or virtues providing additional spies or experience levels for them, but I guess affinities should be the main source.

Affinity as source of spies makes sense as high-level affinity levels provide specific spy missions for all affinities. There could be any other sources like wonders, techs or virtues providing additional spies or experience levels for them, but I guess affinities should be the main source.

Affinity levels are also the closest things to eras in BE. Which is why it seems likely.

I also don't think they would have 'max slots' instead either you get a spy when capacity goes up (like in V) OR just increasing cost.
(Because slots that go up and aren't filled automatically seem annoying/micromanagy)

That's what they do with Trade Routes, and I don't find it annoying.

Any system that provides significant benefits should require some kind of investment.

Except filling a trade route requires a choice. Cargo Ship or Caravan
Filling a 'spy slot' is a spy...

In any case, I'd prefer unlimited slots, but increasing cost (possibly including a maintenance cost)

However, given that they are revamping CivV's spy system, I'm guessing something like 1 Spy every X affinity levels (among all Affinities..that being the closest to eras in BE), plus some random ones generated by virtues, techs, wonders is most likely.

[especially since Eras also give you unit upgrades for free]

Heh, how about spies being hired from trade with a certain type of station?
Another source could be the result of GP points. But instead of a unit you get a new free spy slot.

Heh, how about spies being hired from trade with a certain type of station?
Another source could be the result of GP points. But instead of a unit you get a new free spy slot.

I think stations would be a good Additional source of spies, but not a primary one.

Except filling a trade route requires a choice. Cargo Ship or Caravan. Filling a 'spy slot' is a spy...
That's true. I would have preferred that spies and diplomats be separate units, and that you could build as many as you liked, but could only send a certain number on missions at the same time.

The Civ V espionage system was decent (and better than the one in Civ IV), but it still felt half-done.

There is a spy agency building that becomes available with computing. Logically, it should have something to do with building spies.

There is a spy agency building that becomes available with computing. Logically, it should have something to do with building spies.

Normally it's called "the spy agency" and gives u 3 spies if u build it, i heard about in the 8 minute preview where the player is a supremacy faction that invades People's African Union.

I would prefer that spies not be tied to a specific Affinity as I can see Supremacy Spies that are 'robots in disguise' *queue up groans* and Harmony Spies that are 'alien-enhanced' in disguise, as well as Purity Spies who swear they are just simple Tailors (much love to Garak from DS9.)

I would prefer that spies not be tied to a specific Affinity as I can see Supremacy Spies that are 'robots in disguise' *queue up groans* and Harmony Spies that are 'alien-enhanced' in disguise, as well as Purity Spies who swear they are just simple Tailors (much love to Garak from DS9.)

There's no indication that they will be other than their "city-attack ability" requires lvl 11 and is affinity specific (siege worm attack, dirty nuke, or sabotage)

Top Bottom