Acts

ICNP

The Third Superpower
I did a quick scan and didn't see anything similiar so...

Basically my proposition is something like Civics that can be turned on and off. Now before you get all crazy about adding more civics let me put it another way: it would be like in Sim City 4 where you could use acts to reduce crime, increase education, or bring in a profit through gambling!

Basically at a minor GPT fee you would be allowed to create an "Act" that would provide some benefit to your people.
Examples include:

-Universal Health care: High Cost, +2 Health and +1 Happy in all cities
-Patriot Act: Medium Cost, +25% to Espionage -1 Happy in all cities
-One Child Act: Low Cost, Stagnates Growth in cities, Extra food converted to hammers +10% Hammers
-No Child Left Behind: Low Cost, -10% Research, +2 Happy

Really I thought of it more as a way of rewarding those who have a very strong economy where it might make more sense to put money into these then pure research/culture/espionage. If you support the idea please come up with some more examples (although keep them low on the political controversy).

Sounds decent. Universal Healthcare would be more suited to a civic, but the other three are good independent options. Some other possibilities:

Prohibition: +15% :hammers:, +1 :mad:, +10% Distance Maintenance
Inquisition: 20% chance to remove a non-state religion from a city per turn, +1 :) from religious buildings, +3 :mad:.
Book Burning: -15% :science:, -50% foreign :culture:

Basically at a minor GPT fee you would be allowed to create an "Act" that would provide some benefit to your people.
Examples include:

-Universal Health care: High Cost, +2 Health and +1 Happy in all cities
-Patriot Act: Medium Cost, +25% to Espionage -1 Happy in all cities
-One Child Act: Low Cost, Stagnates Growth in cities, Extra food converted to hammers +10% Hammers
-No Child Left Behind: Low Cost, -10% Research, +2 Happy

I am failing to see why these notions need a separate mechanism. The last suggested in particular seems to me functionally exactly the same as "turn your gold slider and research slider down a little and turn your luxuries up a little", no ?

The prohibition idea could work well with new resource mods. Certain resources could have negative effects associated with them (in addition to their benefits). Pigs could occasionally add unhealthiness through random events, Tobacco reduces productivity, etc. The player could have the option of choosing resources to prohibit, thereby cancelling out all of their effects.

I just thought that since everyone is so tired of civics maybe just throw together some random acts. Plus the examples I give aren't the only things you could throw in there.

Love Prohibition Onion Soldier. Although I didn't really expect to see the inquisition. :)

I am failing to see why these notions need a separate mechanism. The last suggested in particular seems to me functionally exactly the same as "turn your gold slider and research slider down a little and turn your luxuries up a little", no ?

It is the same.

Instead of creating a new system, could these be programmed as random events with permanent benefits?

Top Bottom