ACTUAL Hardware requirements

levasseur227

Chieftain
I run a Beigh G3 (second Rev I think) at 233 MHZ with 500+ MB of ram and a Voodoo 5 video card. I am running Mac OS 9.1.

Will this game work on my system or will performance be so abysmal that I will be unhappy with it?

I would love to hear what systems/OSs people are running this game on, and how performance is.

If performance isn't good, I won't buy the game until later when I have my new iMac:) .

You might as well buy it soon and see how it runs. It may not be much fun, but think how fast it will make your new iMac seem! :D

Fort Sill, huh? Been there, done that. ;)

I don't think it would run so well man...not that much 3D environments to render in Civ ya know? :p Sounds like it might be time to upgrade to a new system anyway...I remember my school had one of those comps that was like my sophomore year! :D

Originally posted by juanvaldes
I don't think it would run so well man...not that much 3D environments to render in Civ ya know? :p Sounds like it might be time to upgrade to a new system anyway...I remember my school had one of those comps that was like my sophomore year! :D

Yea yea yea. If only the money were there! :(

Realizing that I was quite a ways away from being able to drop a few thousand on a new system, I decided to try the game on my early-1999 PowerBook G3. Specs:
OS 8.6
233 MHz
96 MB RAM (I play with 160 MB virtual memory)
~20 GB drive

This computer is old enough that they were barely shipping USB stuff at that time, and I know I sure don't have such a device. :p

Anyway, I do have a crash every 2-4 hours due to low memory or something along those lines, but not only does the autosave work just fine, I often get enough warning to save my current turn, too. It also reminds me to stand up, stretch, eat, etc.

I doubt you can avoid the minimum system and memory requirements, but you can certainly scrape by below the "300 MHz required, 500 MHz preferred" bit.

Good luck!

P.S. Yes, I'd like to upgrade to a newer system, but the government's already got enough of a claim on my money thanks to the whole "school loan" thing.

I have been playing for several weeks with a Beige G3 below the specs
266 Mhz
224 Mb RAM
OS 9.1

It is perfectly playable but you need some patience in the modern era

I guess I will give it a shot. My computer crashes every 45 min to an hour right now (No Idea why, could be the video card, and the USB/Firewire card) but se la vie. Eventually my wife will get tired enough of hearing me complain about it and tell me to get a new one (worked with the car...)

Top Bottom