1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ActualQuotes diplomacy text!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Willowmound, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Simetrical

Simetrical Chieftain

They're just arbitrary greetings, I guess, rather than literal translations of the English. All of them are supposed to come from Mao Zedong. Although on the other hand, referring to China as communist is rather silly if they're using, say, Free Market.

2. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Well what do you think, Blazer? I'm not fluent in French, German, Spanish and Italian, 's why. Feel free to do some translations if you are! Contact me and I'll implement them.

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I would do for spanish but I´m from Argentina, and the game text is made for Spain. I might miss some "vosotros" and localized words... :p

4. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

Hey willow have you heard from Koylana recently? she has been on vacation for quite a while.

5. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

She's said she was on vacation till the fifth and the last time she was on was on the 22nd.

6. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Heh, I got back a couple of days ago, but the flight was AWFUL and zonked me out for a while. My main computer has also been playing up, so my Civ installation got scrambled and needs to be reinstalled (doh!).

I'm currently running some DOS based utilities to save what data I can as I repartition and format. Haven't played any games since getting back and it'll probably be this working week before I do, but when my computer is back up I'll start touching base with everyone.

7. Blazer6

Blazer6 King

I was just saying that the non-English quotes mention Mao saying Communist party while the English quote is about numbers.

8. Exavier

EWWW... I hate it when it does that. Mine caught a virus for xmas that blew away my AV program first followed by windows. I recovered my data with Knoppix but I had to reinstall lol

9. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Anyone heard from WillowMound recently?

10. Exavier

well his last post here was 3 days ago... is that recent? :p

11. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Heh, I guess it is ... I missed it!

12. Gunny Carrow

Gunny Carrow Chieftain

"We cannot allow Saddam to have nuke-uh-lur weapons. We will topple his Axis of Evil Regime."

Good ole Dubbya:nuke:

13. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

Wow, I can't wait to use this mod...this looks awesome. I especially can't wait to talk with Mao. I have a book published in China calle 'Mao on Diplomacy' that has awesome speeches and millions of quotes that I love.

14. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Hey Kol, Exavier. I've been very, very busy lately. Haven't played a game - any game - since last year :)

I'm actually getting pangs of guilt now for not having finished and posted ver.2 yet. I guess I'll just have to do it one of these days.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems, Kolyana, and your rubbish flight. Hope things are better now!

15. Corey

Corey Djeneral

Great mod,thanks!

16. Underseer

Underseer King

Wrong.

In Romajin, it's one n. The second n you sometimes see is a deliberate misspelling in an attempt to get Americans to correctly pronounce it, however Romajin is the accepted way of spelling Japanese in Latin characters, and is intended for any who speak European languages, not just English-speakers.

17. Padmewan

Padmewan King

Nice work! I found Civ4 a big step backwards in historical believability; mods like this will really help!

Willowmound, or other XML modders: In looking through the XML file that controls diplomacy, I have found that you can make your quote situations even MORE specific. Within each type of "Response" (an AI statement), there are a number of "variables" (elements) that could be specified. One of them is Leaders, but others include Civilizations, Attitudes, and DiplomacyPowers. Thus, one should be able to script a Civ- (rather than leader) specific response, or even script different responses for the same leader in a given situation (e.g. a trade) based on the leader's Attitude and relative Power.

I believe that to make additional, even more specific nodes, you would just need to provide more specific elements. For example, in the default Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml file, Victoria gives the same greeting if she is friendly, pleased, or cautious (lines 1425-1451). However, you could separate all three like so:
    Code:
    <Response>
    	<Civilizations/>
    		<Leaders>
    			<Leader>
    				<LeaderType>LEADER_VICTORIA</LeaderType>
    				<bLeaderType>1</bLeaderType>
    			</Leader>
    		</Leaders>
    		<Attitudes>
    			<Attitude>
    				<AttitudeType>ATTITUDE_PLEASED</AttitudeType>
    				<bAttitudeType>1</bAttitudeType>
    			</Attitude>
    		</Attitudes>
    	<DiplomacyPowers/>
    	<DiplomacyText>
    		<Text>AI_DIPLO_GREETINGS_ATT_PL_LEADER_VICTORIA_1</Text>
    	</DiplomacyText>
    </Response>

... 3 times (one for friendly, one for please, one for cautious), then add more nodes to the Civ4DiplomacyText.xml file.

I can't find which XML file defines the possible elements for DiplomacyPower, but it looks like it follows the format
    Code:
    	<DiplomacyPower>
    		<DiplomacyPowerType>DIPLOMACYPOWER_WEAKER</DiplomacyPowerType>
    		<bDiplomacyPowerType>1</bDiplomacyPowerType>
    	</DiplomacyPower>

Anyway, great work and thanks!

18. SirMagus

SirMagus Chieftain

For the record, "Konichiwa" is spelled "Konnichiwa".

It's a minor thing, but probably trivial to fix.

19. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

Hi, I found a strange problem!
    I haven't used this MOD, but when I met TOKUGAWA, there is AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_TOKUGAWA_2 showed on my diplomap screen, what happened? why?

20. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Are you using Warlords? ActualQuotes is not (yet?) compatible.

Also, that error would be a ver.2 error. (This is the old ver.1 thread -- not that it matters!) But when you say 'I haven't used this MOD', what exactly do you mean?