Ad testing

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Hi everyone,

This week I will be doing some ad testing to see how they perform.

Currently I removed the bottom ad banner and replaced it with an ad from OnScroll. This one I plan to test for 48 hours.

The other kind of ad I want to test is Google page level ad which is more for mobile. This will be done at another time.

Feel free to post any concerns or comments.

The ad replacement is permanently visible and auto-reloads. The second reload, however, makes the ad blank with just a barely noticeable x in the top right of the banner slot.

I'm not sure how to feel about permanently visible ads. I'd rather they be naturally interlaced between posts on each thread page which is easily done with PHP and is even easier now that members can't control how many posts are on each page as well (since many ad distributors have slot limits on a per-page basis, like AdSense).

Top ad seems to stay put when I scroll. The bottom ad likes to move around and keep itself visible. The close x on the bottom ad makes it go away.

EDIT: ^^^ that was on this short page.

I have no problem with the old ads that I could scroll past, but these new ads are rather intrusive for me. I read a lot of threads and EVERY time I open a new thread or go to the next page, an ad will pop up at the bottom of the screen. I can't just scroll past it; I HAVE TO click the little "X" to get rid of it. I can't leave them there because I have the forums opened in a short window at the bottom of my monitor (I browse while at work and want to decrease the chance of being caught) and they block most of view.

EDIT: And now it seems that if I X-out of the bottom ad, I can no longer click anything else without right-clicking and hitting "Refresh" first. I'm sure there's a F-key for it, but I forget which one.

Last edited:
Yeah, the bottom ad is pretty annoying. I usually disable adblock on pages I frequent for obvious reasons, but that's the kind of ad that would make me turn it on even in that situation - especially when they're as flashy (moving parts) as some of the ones I currently get, it's just a constant distraction unless I click them away.

Last edited:
To be blunt, if that bottom ad can't be removed soon I will get ad blocker. I want to support this site and so would hate to do that, but it's really that annoying.

I'm not seeing any ad at the bottom of the page at the moment. I do use a Flash blocker, though. (I have noticed occasionally a close box (x) at the bottom of the page where an ad should be and if I click it, it goes away.)

Regarding the setup in general, I really do hope you can find a provider who will let you disallow ads that autoplay video or audio. I was having a lot of trouble with that on the new board until today. For some reason, it was never a problem on the old board. I dislike ad blockers (specifically) in a sense (as opposed to a Flash blocker), because I'd rather you maintained a way to keep the site going and I don't want to get in the way of that, but I don't really want to have to turn the sound off every time I load this site, either (and I've been keeping it open in a tab a lot recently, for obvious reasons.)

Last edited:
I have to agree with the bottom ad hate. It opens all the time when changing the page and I have to click it away to focus on the forum again, since it takes up a sizeable chunk of the screen (maybe because I like to zoom in a lot) and as was said it is very distracting.
That thing could, on the long run, make me resent going to CFC. (or make me use blockers)

The ad at the bottom of the screen has not shown up for me today.

I have removed the OnScroll ad and put back the regular ads.
Prefer ads that blend better within the page...

I have removed the OnScroll ad and put back the regular ads.
Prefer ads that blend better within the page...
I see it today and it disappears when I scroll. :thumbsup:

While browsing on telephone the ads are twice the width of the actual page that has been made to fit the telephone screen.

So instead of the neat size your supposed to have it sort of zooms way out so that the ad can fit the screen, and I have to zoom way in to even be able to read properly, not to mention get rid of the blank space to the right.

i'm getting ads that redirect my browser without clicking on them

not nice

Hi Biz,

Next time you see it, please take a screenshot.

Currently all ads we serve are from two sources: Adsense and Sovrn. Both are reputable, although from time to time there may be bad advertisers.

got redirected to here (probably malware link)

ad.jpg

Top Bottom