Adapting BtS Espionage to FfH

MagisterCultuum

Great Sage
Espionage was my favorite addition to BtS, and I was hoping to see it fully incorporated in FfH. As much as I love the unique abilities of the Council of Esus units, I miss the more advanced espionage abilities of BtS spies. I never liked pre-BtS espionage (getting city details, sabotaging buildings, or especially improvements. I almostnever want to pillage the area around a city, I want to capture the city with the infrastructure. If I did wan to destroy an improvement, why not just use a unit that can pillage? That would gain me gold not cost it.), and am disappointed that those are the only abilities that Esus recon units can use (apart from their unique spells, of course). Plus, I just hate to see balance of espionage points displayed during diplomacy always read 0/0, and never mean anything anyway.

Before Shadow was released, I added all the BtS Espionage missions to .25, added espionage points to several buildings (mostly palaces and UBs) and gave espionage abilities to a few units. I can't say that my implementation was particularly balanced, elegant, or thematically correct, but it was fun to play around with for a while.

Now that we've seen the first version of Shadow, I've refined some of my earlier ideas to make them a little more thematic:

1. All the BtS active espionage missions would be included (and maybe a few more), but would cost Gold instead of Espionage points.

2. Any Council of Esus Unit could perform espionage in rival cities (I might decide to limit different missions to different types of units, or require higher levels for the more damaging missions)

3. Instead of requiring that the unit not be seen when trying to conduct espionage, I would require that the unit's Religion not be seen.

4. A CoE unit's religion would be visible to the owner and to all CoE state religion players.

5. Espionage Points would be changed to "Divination Points," and would require the Divination tech to begin collecting.

6. All Passive Espionage Effects would be included as Passive Divination Point Effects (including making espionage more expensive for rivals, letting you see the graphs/demograhics, seeing the line of sight in rival cities, etc.) with a change to one of them (# 7)

7. The "uncover spy" chance would, instead of killing any unit capable of spying, remove the Invisible, Hidden, or HN promotions or reveal the units true religion. This would most often have diplomatic penalties.

8. The Revelation would remove all 3 of those Promotions and reveal the true religion of all the units on the surrounding tile at once.

8. A passive effect of Sun mana would be to grant a small amount of Divination Points against each of your rivals per turn per number of Sun Mana sources you control.

9. A passive effect of Shadow Mana would be to subtract a small amount of Divination Points that each of your rivals have against you per turn per number of Shadow Mana sources you control.

10. There would also be new buildings/wonders for making Priests/Great Prophets and Sages/Great Sages generate Divination Points. These would probably be available at Divination too.

11. Certain normal buildings (Temple of the Empyrean, Temple of the Overlords, Asylums, etc., and maybe some new UBs, like Balseraph Fortunetellers) would also generate Divination Points.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make these changes. I've taught myself a fair amount of python and XML, but I've yet to master it completely. I haven't even started trying to teach myself C++. I thought I'd just go over some of my ideas here to see if someone could advise me on how to improve/implement them. I'd love it if the team instead just decided to steal all the ideas and do the hard work themselves, but otherwise I'm thinking of releasing a modmod including this and several other changes I've made (giving barbs leader many of the best militant traits, but costing them at the deaths of Barbatos/Orthus; substantially changing the way the train spell spells work/adding them for every sphere; rewriting the Khazad World Spell to make Peaks provide +1 hammer/+2 gold plus putting mines or quarries on most of them, many of which also having resources, letting dwarven workers/slaves move impassible and making roads buildable on peaks; giving Hyborem/Basium extra traits and starting techs to make up for their late start, a couple minor civic changes, minor unit/building changes, etc) plus some I have yet to add (Levee/Dike and Customhouse/Feitoria like buildings, mana-based "power plant" type buildings, several new random events, making new types of weapons promotions with different strengths and weaknesses which are taken in the same manner as the Crew promotions, etc)

A publicly released modmod is probably still a long ways off.

I dont want to bring a BtS type espionage system in FfH (but thats the perfect use for a modmod).

I am very interested in:

1. Bringing back some of the information graphs that were moved to espionage requireing in BtS.

2. Tying some (mostly passive) espionage effects to specific abilities/wonders.

I just need to figure out how to do it. I'd be interested to hear from you more specifics on the exact effects you would enable since it sounds like you have played with them a lot more than I have.

Well, I haven't played around with it a lot yet. I have a feeling that a lot of what I want would involve the SDK, which I know nothing about. I was hoping someone else could give me some idea where to look to find the files I would need to edit. I guess I would probably do better to ask in the Civ4 - SDK/Python forum than here. I don't really think I will have made enough progress to hell you out very soon, but I'll be sure to let you know if I figure something out that I think will be particularly useful.

BTS espionage was too powerful in BTS itself, in FFH it would be savage.

I would dearly love to see the passive effects back, not just for the graphs but also to (eventually) see what your rivals are building and researching. As for the active espionage, I actually found it a little overpowered in standard BtS, particularly the poison wells etc. Also, the sheer number of spies that seemed to be required I personally found to be interminable micromanagement. The current active actions (stealing, sabotage etc) I generally like, though I would like some option for covert assassination (as opposed to unit-on-unit combat), but it may just be too powerful.

Even though I'm now a shameless CoE junkie, I would like to see all civs having some espionage options. Of course, the CoE should be top of the pile, since it's their bread and butter, but even the righteous Bannor should at the least take some measures to protect themselves from spies, even if they don't go in for actually spying on their neighbours.

Linking spying to divination makes good sense to me (watchful mage over his or her scrying glass), though I think it should also be linked to law (secret police, city watch etc) and recon (border patrols, covert surveillance etc). Thus, most civs should be able to at least dip their toe into espionage without massively deviating from their usual lines of research. I would argue that the best returns should follow the deception line, which would naturally benefit the CoE, although it should be noted researching deception in no way obliges you to convert to the CoE.

I like your idea. Magister C

I've just make some change in odrer to test the Espionage in FFH2.

I add the SPY unit. 0/1, 1:move: invisible/commando 60:hammers:
avalable with trade AND poisons.

Add some spy point to building (3 variables : SPY point, SPY %improvement and espionage defense) and add the basic spy mission.

I change the mission (cost more and are more difficult) to follow what you say above. It's simple you just have to change the cost and the difficultymod in the "Civ4EspionageMissionInfo".

The CoE unit can now use the spy ability and assasin can detect spy. well i've to test this in a few games to see how teh AI act and maybe make some change.

But what is sure is that all civ can do some bad tricks. Dwarf can dig under your town to destroy some building, ghost can terrorise the population, vampire can infiltrate the nobles, goblin can throw nasty dirty think in the sewers etc...

So it's normal to use at a point the Spy system. But the CoE must stay the best. (Nox Noctis +10 Spy point)

Ok guys, i've got some spy to torturate:devil:

Kael you do a great job I really like your mod so don't throw me to fire if I test the spy system. :p

I dont want to bring a BtS type espionage system in FfH (but thats the perfect use for a modmod).

I am very interested in:

1. Bringing back some of the information graphs that were moved to espionage requireing in BtS.

2. Tying some (mostly passive) espionage effects to specific abilities/wonders.

I just need to figure out how to do it. I'd be interested to hear from you more specifics on the exact effects you would enable since it sounds like you have played with them a lot more than I have.

It would be good to see some special "espionage" abilities available only to Council of Esus civs, Svartalfar or Sidar, it would be really fit and increase their "Stealthy" flavour.

I liked it in Civ4 + Warlords when, as your religion spread to other cities, you could see inside them.

Maybe this could be brought back but require a religion specific wonder to enable it or something possible as a side effect rather than the main purpose of the wonder... or as a national wonder ?

A "Religious Network" like this would be nice and not to overpowering, maybe it could even work for just Cult of the dragon, giving you even more reason to try and purge this cult ... or spread it depending on your civ...

Kael,

We've had a discussion with Oyzar from channel #erebus last night in our game concerning mostly these graphs and other pieces of "Free Information", such as Demographics.

Basically, our argument (and this is not entirely pluralis majestatis: I'm speaking for myself and my mysterious silent friend) boils down to this: Free Information is a Bad Thing for an interesting multiplayer game. Scouting is a big part of a good multiplayer strategy. Handing out free information makes some very fun strategies less viable. Furthermore, it rewards those who obsessively check the graphs each and every round, something that is not very fun to do.

If I had the modding POWERS I would do the following myself, but as I'd have to really dig deep through the code before I could go anywhere near doing this sort of thing, I was just going to throw it out there and ask you if it would be a lot of working doing this, and if not whether you would consider doing these things and making them an option (off by default) in FFH:

* Graphs need to stay deactivated (if you do activate them again, that is to say, could you make that optional?)
* Demographics data should be unavailable (especially things like GNP, Soldiers, Population)
* Top 5 cities must be removed
* Victory condition overview should be disabled (so you just don't know how close your enemies are to a cultural / religious / whatever victory)
* Display of enemy players' score should be disabled

Optimally I would love if these things could be reenabled through Espionage, though not with BTS's system. I found that very clunky and unsatisfying, especially since I just never saw the point in diverting funds away from research or my coffers. But if I could have only one of the two extremes: no free information or all free information, then I would have to say especially in a good multiplayer game it would be by far preferable to have none of these things. It should be possible to surprise my enemy with a huge stack of units without him knowing from the moment I build the first of these units.

I like the ideas tossed around here. The points about divination made me think a bit about the differences in between espionnage and divination. We could end up in a system where espionnage is kinda evil, and divination neutral/good. The Sidar could be good at both of them.

It would be fun to have a system for both of them, unit-based for espionnage (Svartalfar, Sidar and CoE would be the best for this) and point-based for divination (Sidar, Amurites and Elohim sounds like good candidates for this) Some spy hero would be good, and some divination wonders/artefacts would be good too.

In a dark fantasy settings espionnage could cover:

- kidnapping and assassination (of great people, of heroes)
- poisoning and sabotage (of cities)
- blackmail and disinformation (of leaders and civilizations)
- spreading disease (how evil!)
- subverting cities and religions

In a dark fantasy settings divination should cover:

- information about cities (seeing them like the religion spying)
- information about research
- city able to see invisible units

I like the idea of removing some information from the advisors and bringing it back through divination:

- information about religion (founding city and spread)
- information about demographics
- information about wonders and top five cities
- victory conditions

Some of this could be just brought back by researching divination, but more and more precise information would appear from diverting funds to equip and train your diviners.

Some links between the two systems could be good. I'd like to try and scry for invisible/spy units (through a wonder or special building). I'd like the spies to be able to hit on the diviners themselves (assassination baby) wich could be done only on the capital...

Some civs should be completely excluded from some of the systems. Elohim no espionage, Doviello no divination.

Edit: It seems it would be hard to balance, hard to mod... but I feel it would be great fun.

Well, I was thinking that the Council of Esus religion would make any civ good as espionage, and that both the Empyrean (the Truth/Judgment themed religion) and the Overlords (the Prophecy themed religion) would excel at divination. Some civs might have other advantages though and wonders would effect them as well. I was thinking of adding buildings and wonders that make priests/great prophets (Empyrean and Esus Temples) and Sages/Great Sages generate divination points (probably a new building at sorcery).

I plan to mod it eventually, but it could take time. I don't really care about balance, only fun. ;) I think that when I was looking through the SDK recently I basically found out how to do it. I don't know how I could create another espionage-like counter, but it should be possible to make the missions cost gold instead. If I leave the passive effects as they are then divination should work as I proposed (letting you uncover spies, making espionage missions more expensive, ect). I also plant to make the Revelation spell be great for counter espionage.

Edit: looking over the SDK, I'm thinking I'll tie the cost of espionage missions to the same code that determines how much a great merchant can earn from a trade mission. I may also let Great Merchants conduct espionage missions. (I'm giving basically all the Great people some extra abilities. I'm thinking Great Engineers can build everything workers can but faster, Great Sages can cast Inspiration, and Great Prophets can cast either Hope or Bless, I'm not sure which yet.)

Edit2: I just realized this function relies on a unit-specific tag, so I probably won't use it.

Preferably (false) hope.

Top Bottom