1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add a New Unit (Help)

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Riker13, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Hi,
    I have created a new unit in my own mod, its just an Archer with updated stats and all I want is to use the in game Unit art and Icon for the Archer, in Civ V it was a lot easier to add but it seems you need a degree in Art and programming to do such a simple task.
    If I am I wrong please, please tell me what I need to do.
    Also can I mod while the game is active or I still need to keep loading it up when making changes?
    Regards
    Riker13:crazyeye:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. raen

raen Coat of Arms

If you only want to copy art from existent archer is also only copy and paste but you have more places to configure.

You will need to create your units.artdef file and copy archer from game units.artdef to your file, check this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-6-modding-tools-basics.634429/#post-15173205

Are you using modbuddy? next steps can be different from there, but you can find some insights in the above link as well.

3. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Yes I am using Modbuddy.
    I will go to your link and take a look.
    Many thanks Raen.
    Will let you know how I get on.

raen likes this.
  4. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Ok it seems I have got most of that done, the only thing that does not seem to work is the Icons, my UU Archer shows on the Civ selection screen as the Infantry Icon and my UU Swordsman as a APC Icon?
    What am I missing?

5. raen

raen Coat of Arms

6. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

I will give it a go, thanks again.

7. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Raen, nope still no luck, for reference I looked at your Portugal mod and one of your Icon files it has <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_UNITS_PORTUGAL" IconSize="32" IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="ICON_NAU_32.dds"/> but you have no *.dds files in your mod where is it finding those?

Im sorry I know this must be simple but my old brain cant quite get it.

8. raen

raen Coat of Arms

9. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

I see, so is there a tool that converts *dds files to *xlp and sets it all up for me?

10. raen

raen Coat of Arms

I thought the one I posted yesterday did that (did not tried though), at least the dds. For xlp is just to put them there in the xlp xml file, but you may have to generate textures for dds thought (the duplicate name in xlp is the texture, i.e, .tex file). In the asset manager (in tools) create a new texture for each dds.

Modbuddy then builds all up into xlp closed file.

Was it clear enough? the art stuff is tricky.

11. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Ok Raen, thanks for your patience Im sure you did, I will need to look over it again, your right it is tricky I have spent all week making my mod its all done except the art which has ground me to a halt!
    I may step away for the weekend and try again next week.
    Thanks again for your help.

raen likes this.
  12. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Morning Raen hope you had a good weekend.
    I was looking at your Portugal mod 16.4Beta just so I can see what you had before xlps and all that jazz, just good old *.dds which I understand ;) anyway, it seems you had it working apart from Cleopatra showing herself when you click on your leader Icon.
    Did adding xlps etc make her go away or was it something else?
    Regards.

13. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Hi, it was good and yours?

If you using modbuddy don't bother to see that version, since leaders.artdef and fallback change (along using xlp). Anyway, yes with xlp and assembling with modbuddy Cleo got away. Maybe better to take a look to a mod that I actually used to be capable of building my mod with modbuddy: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/republic-of-pirates-kingchris20.26702/

14. Riker13

Riker13 Chieftain

Yes thanks not bad.
    Ok will take a look, watch this space :)

raen likes this.