Add a single word to Civ title

hclass

Prince
I was initially angry with Firaxis that they try to make it very difficult to play with big number of cities (I can't recall exactly the reason, something like so that late stage turns won't be too slow) and I know it is quite imposible to make them change their mind...

I then find a way to relieve my emotion, may be I can make a suggestion which they will easily agree, just add 1 word to the Civ4 title:

Sid Meier's Mini Civilization IV

Civilization IV: the Sparse
Civ3's Rhye's of Civilization mod has a similar effect. 5-10 cities, even 400 turns in one version.

that couldn't be more appropriate :lol: :goodjob:

hclass said:
I was initially angry with Firaxis that they try to make it very difficult to play with big number of cities (I can't recall exactly the reason, something like so that late stage turns won't be too slow) and I know it is quite imposible to make them change their mind...

I then find a way to relieve my emotion, may be I can make a suggestion which they will easily agree, just add 1 word to the Civ4 title:

Sid Meier's Mini Civilization IV

It's pretty straightfoward, more graphics/sounds require more computing power, if all other parts of the game remained the same.
With the advent of this 3D crap, and Mr. Spock narrating tech advances, something had to give. The average player does not have a Cray supercomputer at home to play this, and unless the average person is willing to put up with choppy graphics, and huge wait times between turns, there were sacrifices made.
I know of a couple hard core modders who are probably not make the leap into Civ IV until they are sure that the game will allow for huge maps and detail to be supported.

So far, the marketing does not bear that out.

hclass said:
Which one?
The sparse or the mini?

well I don't know the meaning of "sparse" so i guess I'll choose the MINI for now... :)

eddie_verdde said:
well I don't know the meaning of "sparse" so i guess I'll choose the MINI for now... :)

Sparse is normally used for HAIR or POUPLATION, e.g.

In a game where there are just cities with sparse population, designed by someone with sparse hair...

ok, sparse is definitely better, but mini is more politically correct

Willowmound said:
That's a long name for a small Civ, hclass!

It is at least an honest title, just in case someone might mistakenly buy the game thinking that he is going to build a GREAT civilization which covers a huge map and spans a long time in history...

AngelLeliel said:
I like a smaller civ :p

Many others do! For example my daughter.

If you think I am not going to buy the game, then you are absolutely wrong!

If the game ends up suits the "long title", my little daughter will like it.

I do enjoy being asked: "Papa, I am trying to be peaceful, how come all these bad guys keep attacking my few cities"

It's actually much more accurate. Most countries in the world now and in history never had more than a few real cities. Most of the land was (and is) covered in villages. Only nations like the United States, Russia, and China really have more than 20-30 real cities.

Zurai said:
It's actually much more accurate. Most countries in the world now and in history never had more than a few real cities. Most of the land was (and is) covered in villages. Only nations like the United States, Russia, and China really have more than 20-30 real cities.

You should have studied harder for your geography...

I suggest you take a look at a globe and count:

If United States conquers all the rest of the world, how many cities do you sum up for the NEW CIVILIZATION OF US?

You guys seem to think bigger is better for some reason, are you compensating for something? Are you having a mid-life crisis? I suppose all of you own little red sports cars too.

I would take Firaxis's comment about having only 5-10 cities with a grain of salt. I think they are trying to play up how diplomacy is going to be better in this game, and want to give people the impression that you COULD get away with only 5-10 widely spaced cities and still have fun (the cities seem really far apart in most of the screenshots, although its really hard to tell how big each tile is). Those screenshots are probably more aesthetically pleasing and show off more of the landscape, etc. I wouldn't be surprised once the first player screenshots come in that there are more than 10 cities per player civ. Just my guess...

Top Bottom