Add Genoa as a playable civ

lemy7714

Chieftain
Add Genoa as a playable Civ. I've played Civ a long while and the Republic of Venice fascinates me. At first I thought "why is it here?" and then I read about it and found it really was a great state. So I read more about it and discovered Genoa. I know the idea of two "playable city-states" may seem redundant, but if Venice deserves recognition (which it does), I think Genoa should at least be considered (I understand if it cant be added immediately, but maybe DLC?).

First of, Genoa challenged Venice for many years, and even established itself as far as the Black Sea (in the form of colonies). Secondly, just like Venice, Genoa was very powerful for its size, its bankers helped finance the Spanish empire after all.

I've already thought of some perimeters for Genoa

For unique unit it could have the Genoese Crossowman, a famous corps form the city. It would be stronger than the average crossbowman and start with the cover promotion, (they were often shielded by a groom while reloading.)

A unique building could be the Genoese bank. In addition to the normal bank, it could also provide tourism (this would be due to the fact that the Genoese often held influence abroad via their banking endeavors.)

The unique ability could be "Venture Capitalists"- gold gifts provides 10% extra influence to city-states and all purchases in your capital are 20% cheaper. In addition settlers, can ONLY found new cities on a different continent then the capital (and only two per continent), and this continent must have at least twelve tiles (in order to prevent spamming cities on single tile islands). This keeps with the history of Genoa which had colonies not on the mainland, but in Sardinia and the Crimea. Genoa could be under the leadership of Andrea Doria (he was never the official leader, but he restored sovereignty to the state by expelling the French) (Yes he is the Great Admiral one)

These are only ideas, and open to suggestions, I'd just really like to see Genoa as playable.

And to all who would suppose it'd be too similar the Venice, "If its worth doing, its worth over-doing"

Thank you for your time!!!

I would recommend letting developers design the units and abilities. There are too many things to consider and balance. Just a note, for example - there are no gold gifts to city-states anymore.

About the historical significance of Genoa - that's good idea for expansion or some DLC.

Well, I only played as Venice once, and it didnt really captivate... But how about a pack of DLC civs that ALL feature only one city? Each with its own unique feel? And altered game mechanics because, well it might need it.
Venice is good, and I like genoa. I'd also suggest Singapore, under Lee kwan yew (spelling?) with a more military focus. Unique unit: Gurkha.

Genoa > Venice. And we already won cultural victory since everyone is buying OUR blue jeans right now

Venice in BNW was imo a wasted slot - at first all people were intrigued by it, then...everybody quickly stopped playing it

In the off chance that anyone takes this statement as being true, I played Venice a couple weeks ago. It was pretty fun.

In the off chance that anyone takes this statement as being true, I played Venice a couple weeks ago. It was pretty fun.

Same here, it's a fun civ to play as and it had an actual empire spanning the aegean, balkans and various Mediterranean islands.

Don't understand why should we have Genoa while Venice is not confirmed yet. In both popularity abd historical impact, Venice was a greater power, also they share the similar categories: trade and seafaring.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Top Bottom