1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add more religions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Xineoph, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

There are 7 more religions that have made quite an impact on life that havent been added..plus this way we don't have to make the symbols for the mods. ;p

Zoroastrianism -Faravahar
    Shinto -Shrine
    Jainism -Ahimsa
    Sikhism -Khandra
    Bahá'í -Temple Star
    Atheism (Symbol?)
    Cultural Religion (Civilization flag?)

What do you think? What other major religions (don't include sects) should be included? Or do you think Firaxis should stop now before it gets out of hand? ;)

2. Saint_Saturn

Saint_Saturn Chieftain

If(when) an expansion is to come out for this game, I wouldn't mind it at all if they added one or two religions in the game. However, I would think it could very overwhelming to double the amount of religions in game.

3. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

your probably right, but it is 1 AM over here and it sounded better in my head at the time. X_X

4. Duke Allan

Duke Allan Chieftain

Atheism seems a bit wierd to have as a religion, no? It being the denial of any and all divine.

Maybe it would be good though, to show the presense of non-believing, and you could get the same happiness bonuses by having no state religion.

Though what technology would 'found' atheism?

5. Andygal

Andygal Warlord

Scientific method seems a good bet.

6. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

Atheism is better implamented through Civics then Religon. Atheist Missonarys? Atheist Temples? Just doesn't work...

7. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

Unless we are able to have like, 30 civs on one very, very, large map, no, I don't want more religions. The current religions are fine and balanced and get used.

8. aryaba

aryaba Chieftain

I can hear Leonard Nimoy now "We don't need no stinkin' god..." (unknown)

9. Duke Allan

Duke Allan Chieftain

I thought that aswell but there are a lot of religious scientists, and not all of them bad, infact a lot were good i.e Darwin, Newton. Also a lot of people might be offended if the game told them science dissproves god.

10. Demon Rob

Demon Rob Chieftain

AFL Football (cathedral=mcg, Aust civ only),
    Cricket (cathedral still = mcg, or even Lords)
    Yeah, these religions need adding.

11. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Imho seven religions are already too many for games with seven civilizations (or less) on the map. Still, on huge maps, and with possibly more than 18 civs in one game, more religions may be nice.

Atheism as a religion, with temples and missionaries, could actually work - search the net for Auguste Comte and Positivism. This was an (at its time) very successful movement to replace religion with an organized belief in science. They had meeting places and lots od rituals. The movement didn't survive its founder very long though.

12. Aku Armoton

Aku Armoton Chieftain

More religions is not problem. They could limit it that europeans can't find taoism or other eastern asia religions, and eastern civs can't find christianity.

13. lifewillsuck

lifewillsuck Chieftain

They need to have a religous preference for civilzations so you don't get the Islamic American thing

14. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Why? What's the problem with an Islamic America in the game? It's the same as a Christian, Jewish or Buddhist America, just another label.

15. riadsala

riadsala Chieftain

Why? The idea behind the game is a sort of "what would happen if history ran differently" is it not?

On the adding more religeons note, i think it is a good idea. But I also agree that there are already too many relgeons in the vanilla game when playing on small maps. So surely the answer is to have more religeons, but in a certain game, only a random map specific number will be available. So when the map is generated, x number of reliegons are picked from the list. When you are first to research the required tech of one of hte chosen religeons, you found it as usual. And if it's not in the game then you don't found it (is that the correct grammar?).

That would make it a little harder to beeline for a relgeon, as you might be aiming for a religeon that isn't in the game you're playing.

And if there are going to be more religeons added to the game, it might be interesting to have some of them tied to events in the game. Am not sure how this coiuld work, but a really streched example, if a great prophet gets killed then there is a chance of his followers founding a cult around his teachings which turns into a religeon. (roughly (very roughly) what happened when Jesus was killed. I think I am right in believing that Islam and/or Judaism teach that Jesus was a prophet rather than son of god?).

As I said, only a very rough idea.

16. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Think we have more than enough religions to be getting along with.

17. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Warlord

they based the idea of 7 religions on game testing and decided it was they best number gameplay. I doubt they will put any more in.

18. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

Basing the number of religions available on the number of civs in the game is actually a good idea. By default there should always be a bit less religions than there is civs, I think. Of course, this would require adding new potential religions for those big games with lots of civs.

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

An Islamic America is a much more reasonable thing than an America with Hereditary Rule or an Aztec with Nukes or the Pyramids of Moscow.

20. rabottens

rabottens Warlord

If they do they need to add some ritualistic human sacrifice religions to the Incans and Aztec's