Add option to Abandon your cities or outposts

sapienecks

Chieftain
I can't believe that developers overlook this very simple management option. I just bought this game on 20% off sale yesterday. In my first game ever, I was building my second city when another civilization just plopped their outpost right next to it. I thought problem solved when I sent my three soldiers to attack it. I got Liberation Army virtue so I found out to my consternation that it's virtually impossible to raze or destroy that outpost even after it turned into a city. With just that, my system are royally screwed. After fanatically searching the net, I decided to quit BE for good...

I will come back if they implement this kind of Abandon option that destroys the city or outpost and convert populations into colonists or refugees that will travel on to other cities or finding new outposts.

I think developers are better off sticking to history because apparently they don't have such creativity and innovation that BE requires to be different and new. All gaming companies are too mainstream now so they can't innovate or deviate from 'confirmed money-making' basics cuz fear of losing money and the company... so disgusting. Indie developers are the way to go... I find Rimworld to be more satisfying than BE as it's constantly evolving with each new patch.

I see two separate posts here. One is a suggestion to be able to dismantle a city/outpost and not lose much in the process which I think is a pretty good one.

The other is unnecessary in ideas and suggestions.

The thing is that it's really hard to actually disband a city. Let's say there was an invasion in the USA and President Obama decided the best plan was to abandon Boston. What would that really take? Maybe your people could flee - but the whole infrastructure of the abandoned city would still be there unless he nuked it ... electrical infrastructure, plumbing, roads, houses, office space, hospitals.

And what is the historic precedent here? Historically when there is a war people flock INTO the cities and their populations actually soar.

I understand that this is a sci-fi environment and we aren't tied to how things have worked on earth. But I think to make a point like this, these are the sorts of ideas you have to think through. You need to at least think through how you pack up and move the city and leave utterly nothing for the invader. What is the mechanism that would accomplish this?

Before it is a city I believe the idea is that you could choose to just pack it all up again and have your settler back.

Even with a city, it could become city ruins and the population could be settled elsewhere, but you would likely lose everything except the pop.

I hope your history teacher does not feel bad :)

Well, it depends - if we are talking about turning a station or a 1-size city back into a settler, that is one thing. But to have a general purpose command to turn a major city into settlers again, and leave the entire city utterly unusable behind you? I'll listen to your history lesson.

Probably the best modern example was Minsk in WW2, which the Soviets abandoned to the advancing Germans. 10,000s of Belarussians retreated back to Moscow and Stalingrad, but Minsk was still left as a functional city. Germany used its train infrastructure to transport supplies east and to send Jews west. Although the USSR tried to burn as much infrastructure as they could, Minsk was still a major hub for the eastern front.

I assume you have a better example where a modern city was actually completely abandoned and left utterly in ruins before invaders without a battle being fought to make it a ruins?

I support TS's idea, in general.

As for realism of it - google "ghost towns", and you'll get aplenty. Limiting the function to outposts and 1-population cities is sure OK by me. Note that each "turn" in Civ games, traditionally, is about rather significant amount of time - from decades to a year or half a year. It is therefore perfectly feasible to me to see outpost or 1-population city to become "nothing" in just one turn. Tile improvements around former city, possibly some "ruins" on the city tile - all that is sure possible. But overall, again, i support the idea in general.

Top Bottom