1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Addicted to Agricultural!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by SimpleMonkey, Mar 17, 2005.

1. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

Just looking for an opinion. Ever since getting C3C, I've gotten completely hooked on Agricultural civs. That extra growth rocks! :) So now I'm reluctant to play anybody except the Iriquois, Sumerians or Maya. Any suggestions for non-aggie civs with traits that also are fun to play? (FTR, I do only middling with Military civs, and have yet to handle a Seafaring civ competantly.)

2. Jopedamus I

Jopedamus I Immortality is reality

Arabs..expansionist is always "fun", religious means that you can change government couple of times + they have one of the best and coolest UU..so try that one with large pangaea, should be fun! :)

3. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Me too. Now I only want to play agricultural civs. I just played the Celts and the Netherlands. Now I am stuck as well. I think I am going to try the Maya next time. But, the greeks are fun and so are the indians.

4. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Chieftain

In vanilla, I always stick with "Industrious". In Conquest, I always stick with "Agricultural". How come Sid usually make such an overpowered trait? This leaves me with no good choice. Although it doesn't mean if we don't get them we must lose or do very badly, these traits do help us considerably.

At least "agricultural" trait should be toned down (eg +1 food is only available for cities access to fresh water, applicable to all governments)

The benefits of +1 food irrigated desert is great too. You will see the advantage especially if you don't restart for bad starting position. I am sometimes stuck near deserts. So this is really a saviour.

You may play with some risky/situational traits.
    "Expansionist" can be great when you can fully utilise its early-game advantage. Go for an anicent victory + lucky with goody huts ^.^

"Seafaring" will be superior if you play at sea map. Try to explore the use of +1 naval movement.

In fact, I will still stick with "agricultural" civilizations. Then I will throw a dice to decide which one I should play with.
    :p I just can't live without "agricultural"

Alternatively, try to play with "civilization difference/speciality" off. It could be another funny game :)

5. Rohili

Rohili King

Arabs are great. I won my first game with them (disregarding the fact that that was warlord... :p).

I tried playing Maya but surprisingly disliked them. They didn't work for me (must be those Javelin Throwers). I'm trying out the Celts on Regent now, so far the extra growth is helpful in churning out settlers. If only I can get iron...

6. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

When I play the Maya I am going to try and collect many slaves and add them into my cities over a period of time to supplement my population, while keeping only native workers for improvements.

7. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

Thanks all! After looking back over the individual civ reviews, I think I'm going to either try the Arabs in an attempt to make better use of expansionist (plus I'd like to try out their UU), or the Chinese (industrious is also awsome, and they sound like a great civ to have for a conquest win.) :ar15:

8. rysingsun

rysingsun King

im not going to say anything bad about agricultural because i know it's powerful and who wouldnt want to be addicted to a powerful trait? but monkey since you mention that you just got C3C i might point you to the addictive nature of the militaristic civilization trait now that armies have increased greatly in power. having hoards of armies can be addicting in its own right. try the aztecs if you want to still be agricultural at the same time. a disclaimer is i dont believe that militaristic is a particularly powerful trait. but fun it is.

another potentially addicting trait is expansionist. i only recently ever even tried it. but on a huge pangea map if you aggressively build scouts you can discover most of the ancient age techs from the goodyhuts alone at least all the way up to deity level. its a great early-game crutch. be prepared for a long game though.

i used to be addicted to religious and to a lesser extent scientific. combined they gave me the chance at the higher levels to actually have decent culture and get some favorable flips. i would place this at higher value on more crowded maps where flips become more important.

9. Grogs

Grogs King

How do you get a golden age in a game like this? If it's only from a UU victory (or building the internet) you may have a long wait. Or do you even get a GA?

10. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Any wonder will start your GA.

11. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

But is there a smaller chance of getting one with a Wonder build, since there are more?

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

There is no chance in Wonder-induced GAs... they have to match your traits. In a no-trait game, all wonders will trigger your GA, all the time.

13. Cheeze

Cheeze Civ Re-Re-Re-Addict

My favorite civs are as follows:

Arabs for starting out, expansionist gives a nice bonus and can help ease you into the game. DO NOT, however, get addicted to expansionist!! On the later levels when the computer gets extra units, you can hardly get any goody huts.

Chinese are good if you want to warmonger alot. This is obviously true for any militaristic civ, but Chinese are good for super-early warmongering as they can build roads to make their archers get to the target faster.

Finally, the civ I am currently playing is the Egyptians. Religious is always nice, easy culture and quick anarchy (especially if you want to go Republic for peace and Communist for war) coupled with Industrious super-workers equals a great builder civ.

I normally play on 60% water pangaea or continents, so these may not really apply for you.

14. Rohili

Rohili King

I agree. Expansionist borders on overpowered on easy levels like Chieftain and Warlord. It's benefits become much more reduced (but sitll beneficial nevertheless) on higher levels, since goody huts become less generous.

On Chieftain to Warlord you can typically get most of the Ancient Age techs from goody huts using a few scouts, giving you are huge tech lead over the AI.

15. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Chieftain

If the "goody hut" benefit is removed, will people still choose "expansionist"?

And if it is a multiplayer game, how could the probability of getting goodies in goody huts be determined?

16. Rohili

Rohili King

If it is, I highly doubt there is any reason any more for choosing expansionist.

17. rysingsun

rysingsun King

just like agricultural shines the most on maps with lots of desert expansionist shines on maps with lots of wide open space. huge map with 60 percent water and only one ai. i guarantee you will pick up at least a few goodie huts :p

18. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Chieftain

Another reason is you have a scout.
    You ca know your surrouding much faster, and can make contacts with other civs faster.
    But does it still justify the choice?

19. Grogs

Grogs King

Wow, what a lonely game. :( With the way the AI builds -builds to (2X?) the OCN and stops- would you even need to take any of their land to achieve domination?

As for any wonder triggering a GA with generic civs, I guess that wouldn't be the best thing if you were going for a 20k victory. Getting a GA for the Colossus when you have only 3 towns is a bit of a waste.