1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Addicted to Liberty

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Juanholio, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

The best thing is that you can make an argument both ways, which sure beats the "always take liberty first" I always seemed to come to before the change.

2. Trik

Trik Chieftain

I find liberty to be a lot weaker due to Republic and Collective rule being switched. Before i used to get 3 - 4 cities then pop Republic, now it feels like i can only used it in one city, which is quite a shame because new cities really need that extra hammer.

3. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Maybe, but it gives more nuanced flexibility without forcing you to unlock an SP to kill time.

If you want to get an early 2nd city, you go Republic > Collective Rule

If 2nd city can wait, you go Citizenship>Republic>Collective Rule

Used to be if you wanted to hold off on your 2nd city, you might pick Collective Rule anyways to get to Republic or pick Representation to buy you time.

4. The Peacekeeper

The Peacekeeper Chieftain

I always pick Liberty first, unless I am going OCC, which means I pick Tradition. There are just so many benefits to the free units and the GP, which means I can easily pick up a Great Prophet if I am not getting very much faith.

5. weregamer

weregamer Gandhi of the Mongols

Why are you all assuming liberty OR tradition? Especially why are you assuming you should *finish* tradition in a hurry?

I almost always end up taking both unless I am planning to go so wide that I won't get more than a handful of policies total, or if my starting continent is so crowded that I have to settle all my sites early. And if you are planning to get Tradition at all, its opener is the best choice for first policy overall. Quadrupling your capital's culture output means you are only delaying the free & cheap settlers for a few turns, and your border expansion lets you move your cities out a ring or so to grab better territory.

Of course so much depends on your game settings. My favorite setup is with raging barbs on either Terra or Pangea+, but I often decrease the count of civs by one to avoid the early crowding. And on those settings I have had good times opening both Tradition and Honor, then farming barbs to get the extra culture to still finish Liberty by the early Renaissance.

And again, I mostly play on Prince because I prefer a level playing field to fighting against a huge disadvantage.

6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

In about 80% of my games, I end up taking Tradition for my first two Policies simply because it makes getting other Policies and better city resources faster. Then, depending on my Civ and Situation, either Liberty or Honor, sometimes mixing the two to get the Barb-Farming going and then the free Settler/Worker. Precise sequence almost always depends on the situation - if I can 'liberate' a worker from a Barbarian Camp, then I can put off that track of Liberty. If I'm playing Askia, then Barb Farming is just too lucrative to pass up, and Honor becomes a very early priority. There are a lot of factors that should motivate your choices...

7. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Not to mention that when you take Monarchy you can sell all your luxuries for 240 gold until either you found a second city or your capital reaches size 13 (2 higher for each Natural Wonder you have found). And that's not even counting the 1 gold per 2 citizens that Monarchy gives.