1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Addicted to openings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bostock, May 20, 2008.

1. Bostock

Bostock King

I could get careless near a power saw and still count my number of post-Liberalism saves on one hand. Yet my total number of saves several dozen. I'm an openings addict! Is there anybody out there who has also suffered from this, then kicked the habit, who has some tips on getting oneself to go back to an opening rather than clicking that shiny Play Now! button?

Bostock

2. Priah

Priah Warlord

Yea I have the same sort of problem, the micro at the start of the game is just so much more involved than later on... in trying to improve my game I feel like everything I do prior to 300 ad is really all that counts.

3. y2jaus

y2jaus Chieftain

I frequently abandon games as they approach the modern age, when a victory is obvious, it is better than pressing 'enter' 100 times waiting. The late game in civ is boring unless you are warmongering.

I love restarting too; chronic habit across lots of games i play.

4. BornSlippy

BornSlippy Warlord

And here I was thinking it was me, that it was something wrong with me....

We should make some sort of succession game for opening addicts, where we help each other and force our way past the late mid-game.

5. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

The opening game is certainly much more interesting, with the excitement of the unknown, and your optimizations having a greater effect. Should I expand or develop. Risk building stuff for long-term or beefing up my army short-term?

Once the entire map is known, you have won (or lost) the circumnavigation and liberalism races, the game focuses much more on diplomacy and trade. And these are intangible factors I simply believe the game doesn't handle as well.

This is also where you can look at the entire world and decide for yourself whether you've won or lost.

Much more fun to then start a new game than play the old one to completion! :)

6. Ibian

Ibian King

How many of your supposedly won games would you have lost in the end. You dont know. You wont know, unless you keep playing.

7. troytheface

troytheface Deity

The main problem with the end game is the lack of exploration as a factor and any sort of last ditch gamble. If one could use explorerers to settle ice stations at the poles, or a sea lab or a space lab that might add a little bit of spice.
    In so far as a last ditch gamble- any sort of doomsday device might be a good idea, say your down in points, someone is ready to launch, there is no hope- but you can build an oil tanker with a nuclear device and blow the world up.
    (the russians had the idea back in the 50's/60's? )

8. Ibian

Ibian King

Right. Nukes.

9. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

I used to play like that back in Vanilla and Warlords, but BtS has actually brought me beyond the sword :D

And just recently I lost a game (space race by 8 turns) where in ~1800 AD I had been absolutely sure I was going to win...

10. ese-aSH

ese-aSH Prince

I am an opening addict.
    but i know why.

a civ game interest me only when there are both hope and challenge.
    hope because I wont continue to play when the game is obviously lost for any reason
    challenge because being world leader on 1AD and knowing that is all just about taking cities and vassalizing ennemies (which could take time) is boring.

most of my game stop around liberalism too, and I quit most of those that go past liberalim before modern era.

11. SenhorDaGuerra

SenhorDaGuerra Prince

i force myself to play out a sure win, just so i can compare it to my other scores in my hall of fame. so i will press "enter" 100 times jsut to see ( i play on marathon). but quite regularly i get bored and decide to start a war with someone and drop a few nukes here and there for the fun of it.

the trick i find, (and this is something i started back in civ III) is to set myself mini-missions so that i am not always just pressing enter. sure it extends the game a little, but it also makes it more fun.

12. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

Sure.

I don't need to know that, though. Not if it means playing the same old supposedly-won (or lost) game for another three hours when I could go back to the excitement of a fresh start in that time! :)

Your mileage obviously varies.

13. Sib

Sib Chieftain

If the problem is that you feel like you've won the game and are a tech leader in the early ADs with no serious challengers from the AI then surely you can just ramp up the difficulty level? I used to feel this way at noble and prince. Monarch is a whole new ball game for me, I feel constantly threatened by the AI. It's great!
    :goodjob:

14. ubenclagen

ubenclagen Chieftain

I am an opening addict, but for different reasons. I started playing civ because i am interested in history, especially ancient and middle ages. i like having one scout and finding new territory, once i've explored all the land i still play but one of the most interesting aspects is over.
    sounds like most of you stop playing when you know you have won and just don't want to keep hitting enter. i'm the opposite: i'm hopeless at the game (well sort of) so i usually quit when it looks like i'll never catch up. or worse yet i think i'm doing well until i meet some civ that has me beat by a mile. specifically, i usually quit when 1) i missed out on circumnavigation and liberalism, and i'm behind in score, 2) the other civs are getting rifling and i'm no where near it, or 3) here comes the SoD and there is no perceivable way for me to successfully defend myself.
    I don't have a handful of won saves and dozens of unfinished saves: for me it's hundreds of unfinished saves.
    i learn more and more from this forum (thank you so much), and i am making extremely slow progress, but i have a long way to go. sometimes i wish i knew someone else who played who could sit next to me and say "no! don't do that! that's where you're going wrong!"
    the most embarrassing thing is that this is all at noble level. and yes i'm reading all the noble help threads.
    still, today will be like most other days, i'll start a new game and think "maybe this time it will work!". hope springs eternal. okay, rant over. thank for letting me vent.

15. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

I play alot of the saves from this board and obviously i play them out. Offline i'm mostly experimenting with early rushes, blocking strats, renaissance rushes, GPP farms etc. These games were never meant to be played to a finish. Most of the time it's clear after a renaissance rush at last (often before) if the game is winnable.

16. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

I like this advice.

I also spend many an hour grinding out a game that's already won, because I like to compare victories. My current meta-goal is to win on Noble/Epic/Large once with every leader before moving back up to Prince (I used to play Prince level pre-BtS).

Maybe if I try the mini-mission idea on the endgame, I'll get to Prince that much quicker...

17. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Yeah I rarely finish games, it has always been like that for me. Actually I think I used to finish games more often in Civ1 but I was a clueless kid of 10 back then. My initial strategy for defending cities was surrounding them completely with milita. :)

18. Bostock

Bostock King

Hmm, seems like lots of people suffer from the same thing as me in a more limited degree. Most of my abandoned openings really are openings -- I mean, not even up to the Medieval era yet. Still, it's good to see that in some sense, I'm not alone.

Somebody mentioned a sample game, or forum game, for practicing not abandoning openings... unlike practicing how to do well in the midgame, where such a game is easy to imagine and even has already been done, solving the psychological problem of how to spur yourself to load up that midgame save and play on it is a bit hard to solve by offering a midgame save. :) Maybe what I really want is a way to magically hide that shiny "Play Now!" from myself! :-D

19. 7Fang

7Fang Chieftain

Heh. And all this time I thought I was the only one ;) and ROFL at glieze :lol: But yea, I like the idea of that series thing, would be a good way to get me to finish a game :crazyeye:

20. Ibian

Ibian King

I would probably not be playing right now if the PYL games hadnt come along. I like figuring stuff out, but once i know how something works i get bored real quick. Having other people to compare results to helps with that, as well as coming up with new ways to play.