adding APCs

ST4LIN

Chieftain
Anyone add Armored Personnel Carriers to their mods? Would be useful to transport foot units that only have 1 movement rate. Will the AI use them properly or will they be used like mech infantries? What are stats/flags to use? Thanks

IIRC the trick was to use Steph's editor and add the Air/Transport strategy to them, so they will load units. Otherwise the AI won't use them. Can anybody confirm on this?

Here was the post ;)

I haven't found any thread anywhere regarding AI using land transports.

I used Steph's editor (or maybe it was Quitillus') and checked the box "Transport" in Strategies/Air without defining it as an air unit (still land unit). I first tried to check the "transport" box in Strategies/Sea, but although AI loaded the transport with units, it would always be built in a coastal city, and would never leave the city square.
Another important thing to remember when using this trick is that Firaxis' editor will remove the Strategies/Air/Transport-flag from land units whenever they are edited. In an un-edited unit it will strangely enough indicate the box as checked (even though it is greyed out). Quintillus' editor seems to struggle with these settings when loading a biq edited by other programs, as the upgrade paths sometimes vanishes. I haven't tested this trick thoroughly in his (otherwise excellent) editor and don't know what causes this.

The settings I use in the land transport units have both attack and defense strength in addition to bombard range of 1 (and of course transport capacity > 0 and movement of 2 or more).

Jorsalfare about the results

Quick summary by Tony

very clever work around, but damnit I can't get steph's editor to work on my system..

Not sure if it was posted in the thread, but did the AI ever unload the units?

If you mean that AI moved APC with footsoldiers next to my cities, unloaded them and attacked - no, I haven't seen that. It might seem that when AI uses APCs as transport, it doesn't engage in battle. When it uses them offensively they are not loaded with units. The few times my forces have approached an loaded enemy APC, it have avoided confrontation and withdrawn. I think that AI's Air Transport strategy is different from sea transport strategy (perhaps since air units in the original game is immobile?). Maybe you could try to fiddle with airdrop-capabilities - perhaps with range=0?

If I remember correctly, Steph's editor requires the Microsoft framework to run - but you probably already knew that. I'm running it on XP SP3, and it works flawlessly.

Regards Sigurd.

Top Bottom