1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Icons To An In-Progress Mod With The DDS File Already There

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Cecil Lizard, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Cecil Lizard

Cecil Lizard Chieftain

I am trying to make a mod with some icons in it (for buildings) and whilst I have made a couple of mods before, it was a little while ago, and I remember from before that I had some difficulties getting the image properly into GIMP with its brush. That's not what I'm writing for now though, I managed to re-figure that out (though some things were different cos I think GIMP has changed a bit).

The point was, since I was still figuring it out, I decided to start out by just doing one of the images I was planning on having in the mod (this time I am trying to have buildings with different icons ,which I didn't do last time), just so I could check I was getting the process right before moving on to doing all of them.

I got it to work with the one image in-game. So I went back to the xcf file I had exported to a DDS one before, added an icon to the next hole along in the array, saved and exported it again, coping it over the old DDS file (with the same name), in the picture folder where I keep my civ stuff.

I then went to my mod in Modbuddy, where I already had an item in the ART folder, the DDS file which had caused the one image I had done to be shown in-game. But that was now a copy of the old file, and I wanted to replace/update it with the new one.

Now I do not know how to do this, so I guessed and deleted the item, and then added it again, only now it was the new one I was adding, though same name as before.

This turned out to be a stupid idea. Now when I go on the game with the mod loaded, if I try to open one of the civilopedia pages of the buildings I am adding (including the one which was working and showing its icon before) I get an error message which says it can't open the texture file, and it doesn't show any of the new icons.

Sorry for the long message, and for being a bit of an idiot. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Hunkalicious Holo

Check that the new file is imported into VFS. If you deleted the old file and added a new one, even with the same filename, ModBuddy won't 'remember' that it was supposed to be in VFS, and it will reset to the default of false.

Otherwise, you'll need to attach the mod and/or logs, because I'm just guessing without being able to see anything.

3. onmy6

onmy6 Prince

I don't use modbuddy but I do this quite regularly with my mod so it should be pretty simple, just put the new dds file into the folder where the original is allow it to overwrite or delete it first, make adjustments in the buildings xml file for the new icon ie <IconAtlas> and <PortraitIndex> and put a <IconTextureAtlases>in the appropriate art file and double check the "modinfo" file and make sure the is a 1 and not a 0 in the import functions eg <File md5="E9A60CB880B7D99A4FC03EC1DA913868" import="1">Art/U1nits32.dds</File> etc etc

4. Cecil Lizard

Cecil Lizard Chieftain

Oh. Just saw I had readded the wrong DDS file. Facepalm. Put the right one in, works now. Thanks anyway though!