Adding more civs

ExcaliberDG11

Chieftain
As much as I love this mod it is missing some american civs like Texas, Confederate States, as well as a few european nations like Hungary, Lithuania, etc, are there any mods for this that add these civs?

Frankly I don't see why you would want the CSA or Texas in the game. Those states were pretty short lived in the grand scheme of things. But nonetheless there is this mod-mod for the 1.13 version of the game that adds those civilizations. (Also I am pretty sure that the CSA is a dynamic name for America so it technically is already in the game.)

As for Hungary and Lithuania, the Civilizations Reborn mod-mod includes them as well as a bunch of other civs. It is technically playable with the 1.16 version but it might be a bit buggy. I believe the creator of that mod-mod plans to update it after the new map is added.

How about instead of adding a separate civ for the Confederates, why not just let them pop up as barbarians. Because that's what they are: Barbarians

There have been lots of discussions in the past about adding new civs into the mod. Leoreth has recently stated that once the new map is fully complete he might consider adding new civs, since there will be lots of room for civs like Hungary or Israel etc.

I think civs that definitely needs in this mod are: Australia, South Africa, Israel, An Balkan like civ like Serbia/Bulgaria/Yugoslavia, more African civs like the Swahili and Nubians, Georgia or Armenia, Myanmar, Vietnam and some Andean and Native American civs

Personally I think the mod really needs the Hausa/Nigerians in the game. The Hausa are the largest ethnic group in sub-saharan Africa and traded extensively with the Mandinka. I think that the other ethnic groups in Nigeria (Yoruba, Igbo etc) can be better represented by free cities since they had smaller empires.

I'd also like to see a separate Kazakh/Golden horde civ in order to ensure that Russia doesn't get too powerful too quickly.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't see why you would want the CSA or Texas in the game. Those states were pretty short lived in the grand scheme of things. But nonetheless there is this mod-mod for the 1.13 version of the game that adds those civilizations. (Also I am pretty sure that the CSA is a dynamic name for America so it technically is already in the game.)

As for Hungary and Lithuania, the Civilizations Reborn mod-mod includes them as well as a bunch of other civs. It is technically playable with the 1.16 version but it might be a bit buggy. I believe the creator of that mod-mod plans to update it after the new map is added.
Interesting, I like the last mod that you linked but I don't know anything other than basic stuff about Github and it's mods. Any other way to install it? If not, then I will need some guidance for it, for I do not want to mess up DoC

IIRC all you have to do in order to install it is to put the CIV Reborn file in the mod folder for CIV IV beyond the sword file and rename it to RFC Dawn of Civilization. You don't need DOC for it to work as it is a stand alone mod.

I don't how you can keep RFC Dawn of Civilization and CIV Reborn in the same folder as they require the same name tho.

IIRC all you have to do in order to install it is to put the CIV Reborn file in the mod folder for CIV IV beyond the sword file and rename it to RFC Dawn of Civilization. You don't need DOC for it to work as it is a stand alone mod.

I don't how you can keep RFC Dawn of Civilization and CIV Reborn in the same folder as they require the same name tho.
I noticed that aswell, I don't know what's gonna occur if I name it the same way..

I fail to see how CSA or Texas could ever be considered distinct civilizations. Lithuania and Hungary could be there some day in the far future on the larger map, but right now it would not make a lot of sense imho. Lithuania is part of some of the dynamic Polish names btw in reference to the Commonwealth between them.

In the ultimate version of RFC-DOC perhaps far out in the future (hopefully) there will likely be a lot of more civilizations at hand. But let's be careful not to advocate going for a kitchen sink style of mod - more is not always better. Let's just say that there are other mods out there that... uhm, fits that direction better.

Last edited:
I fail to see how CSA or Texas could ever be considered a distinct civilization. Lithuania and Hungary could make sense some time in the future on the larger map, but right now it would not make a lot of sense imho. Lithuania is part of some of the dynamic Polish names btw in reference to the commonwealth.

In the ultimate version of RFC-DOC perhaps far out in the future (hopefully) there will likely be a lot of more civilisations. But let's be careful not to advocate going for a kitchen sink style of mod - more is not always better. Let's just say that there are other mods out there, that... fit's that direction better.
Honestly, Texas would be best represented by the USA using a spy/diplomat unit to move population to Texas in exchange for increasing the portion of American Culture in the region and/or using the already existing spread culture mission, resulting in Texas flipping to America, Mexico refusing the flip, and the war starting.

IRL, the whole Texas event started when Mexico started an initiative to increase settlement in Texas, so America started pushing settlers to settle in the region. When Mexico started to try to force Americans living in Mexican owned territory to pay Mexican taxes, the local Americans declared independence and allied with America, starting their journey to statehood.

Heck, if America was ever given a new UHV, maybe they should be given one focused on the spread of culture for economic, military, and expansionist purposes, seeing as how beyond the Texas case, they also have a long history of pursuing a cultural imperialism by propagandizing to the rest of the world through their media and using their cultural exports as a bargaining chip. Perhaps call it "The Power of Americanization".

Also, the Civil War is already represented by the 1 or 2 turns of revolution you spend switching from pre-Civil War America's Civics to post-Civil War America's civics. I really don't get people's fascination with representing a 4 year war whose effects were mainly just "country changes civics away from the use of slaves, region where slaves were essential to the local economy goes through a period of economic transition"

Last edited:
Africa is seemingly empty, maybe add a couple of more civs for it? North africa is full and lively, but south Africa? There is the kongo, and that's about it. (shaka of zulu hell yeah ! ! !! ! )
Probably after the bigger map is officially part of DOC? Depends on @Leoreth

Doesn't it always.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Top Bottom