Adding techs ( in the *.txt files)

kayelbe

Chieftain
Excuse me if this has been posted before, cuz I can't find it.

How do you use the Civilopedia Editor in the Multi-Tool utility?

Specifically, how do you load/save to where it actually does something?

I figured out how to enter stuff on the right side, but nothing gets saved.

I have checked the tutorials here, but nothing answers my question. A step by step guide to adding a single tech (from the "hey, I wanna add a tech" to "Sire, our wise men have researched <tech>". Know what I mean?

Thanks

OK, found out how to make changes using the Multi-Tool Civilopedia editor...

Now, problem is somewhere in the Civ 3 Editor:

Since I added Mining, and wanted it to display a "Mining" civilopedia entry, I set the "Civilopedia Entry" to "TECH_Mining", which is included in the two .txt files.

When I load the scenario, I get an error saying missing text\pediaicon.txt: TECH_Mining, will exit (blah, blah)

What did I do wrong? I changed it to an original (not added) entry (TECH_Masonry) and the scenario will load properly.

I read somewhere about correct spellings, etc. Could someone elaborate or otherwise solve my problem?

Thanks, again,

When adding a tech, you must add 2 entries to the Pediaicons.txt for it. These entries define the large and small icons used in displaying the civilopedia entry for the tech and the tech box for the science advisor. It should be fairly self-explanatory what you need to add by looking at that file; for testing just copy an existing entry like:
#TECH_Mining
Art\tech chooser\Icons\82-writing-small.pcx

and
#TECH_Mining_LARGE
Art\tech chooser\Icons\82-writing-large.pcx

Later on, you can worry about getting actual unique images if you wish and then change the entries accordingly.

thanks pdescobar,

Actually, I had done that (giving myself credit for not being totally hopeless).
What was screwing me up was that I made those changes in the pediaicons.txt that I had put in a separate folder (mymod). Problem is getting the game to look in THAT folder...
I know I am supposed to edit the scenario preferences/search in box...but don't know the syntax.

Do I just enter
mymod
in the box?

I checked someone elses mod and they have something like

...extras\something;something else;

etc.

If I only use my folder (a full copy of the *.txt files, with my changes included.) what would be the proper syntax?

TIA

kayelbe

If your mod is called "MyMOD.bix" then the game will automatically look for PediaIcons.txt in "CIV3PTW\Scenarios\MyMOD\Text" and you don't need to put anything in the search path. The search path itself is simply a list of folders (all based initially in the Scenarios Folder) separated by semi-colons and the folders are searched in the order from left to right. If it can't find a file in any of those places it then looks in your mod's folder followed by the PTW defaults and then the Civ3 defaults before giving up.

To explicitly place your mod folder in the path (so that it still works if you save the BIX with a different name perhaps for a quick test scenario) you'd just make the path "MyMOD" The important things are to make sure the folder name is spelled exactly right and that the files in that folder follow the same hierarchy as the game folders (e.g. subfolders for Text, Art, etc)

Wow. The one thing I hate about computers. The easiest solution is the hardest to come up with.

Thanks so much. Your advice worked.
Now, back to modding!

Top Bottom