Adjacency Bonus

Baba Yetu VI

Warlord
First, I want a more clear understanding of this bonus.

What is the prevailing condition required to get adjacency bonus. If I build my Camp, Commercial and Industrail districts next to the City Centre and more to that, these districts are adjacent to one another like enclosing the City Centre, then I get a bonus. Is that the adjacency bonus that some of the policies mean?

Also, how does that 100% Campus bonus work/calculated? And I'm just curious to know why there is no such thing like a 100% Indstrial Bonus??

I am playing japan so get +1 science for every adjacent district to my campus including my city centre.
I also have my campus against 3 mountains which also provide +1 each.
My campus has 3 mountains and 3 districts adjacent so get +6 science per turn adjacency bonus visible when hovering above the campus.
I then play my 100% adjacency card and it becomes +12 science while the card is in my active goverment deck.

Yep there is 1 for production

I have never got +4 for 2 adjacent rivers but maybe thats just me. The 2 rivers are competely separate and do not join from mountain to sea and I still get no adjacency.

Theatre adjacency is pretty bad, I Guess thats why it always gets +2 when built.

Last edited:
What if I build Campus first, then followed by other districts, will the bonuses be the same?

The 100% Campus Bonus card is not the same as the 100% Campus adjacency card.

Default game (not counting Japan or Brazil), the campus gets 1 science for every mountain, 1 for every 2 rainforests, and 1 for every 2 adjacent districts bordering it. Doesn't matter the order, so building a holy site next to a campus can give you more science. Sometimes depending on when things update, you might not see the science until the turn after the holy site is finished building (depending on how they update things).

The double adjacency card simply doubles the output of that. So if you have 1 mountain, 1 rainforest, and 2 districts, you get +2 in the campus from adjacency (1 for mountain, 0 for rainforest, and 1 for the districts). If you use the double adjacency card, then you'll get +4 in that campus from adjacency. So if you're placing your districts in optimal spots (ie. a Campus surrounded by 5 mountains), then running the double adjacency card can have a big benefit.

The other card doubles the buildings in it. So a library by default gives 2 science. With the double buildings card, it will yield 4. Once you tend to have Universities in most campuses, then usually the "+100% building" card will beat the double adjacency card in terms of science that you get from it (however you can also run both cards if you have the spots for them).

I'm guessing there's no "+100% IZ buildings" card mostly because it has a regional Factory, so doubling it could be way too much extra production given to cities.

Note that the faith boni from the Pantheons Desert Folklore and Dance of the Aurora are also adjacency boni. They get doubled from the Scripture policy and can result in great faith production.

And the harbor adjacency doubling also happens before the shipyard bonus, so using the harbor double adjacency can actually give you extra production too.

The more I try out Science Victory, the more I get to know hoe the game works.

So, I built 6 or 7 cities. After a while, I find my science being ahead of others. Then when I entered the Space Project, my Science was nearly capped meaning I m doing more than 270 per turn sometimes more.

So using or not using the campus bonus cards are no longer important to me.

What I was focusing or I should have been focusing is creating more productions for the 3 space port cities.
And Amenities leading to unhappiness slowed things down, but how the hell can I improve Amenities? Luxury resources were there but also had been improved. Building Entertainment interrupted my original course of space project. How do I solve these problems?

I usually have New Deal as one of my policies in late game. That's +2 amenities for my old and big cities usually (affects only cities with 3+ specialty districts e.g. not counting Aqueduct and Neighbourhoods).

Some other policies and late wonders can also help your amenities as does trading with other civs for new luxuries.

I'd be fine with a 50% IZ building card, now that Factories got nerfed and such. Why can Stadiums give +2 amenities for every city late game?

You can improve amenities by several means, including
  • Befriending Buenos Aires, Zanzibar and Muscat (the last only if you have the DLC)
  • Building Entertainment Complexes
  • Building Colosseum
  • Using policy cards that increase amenities
  • Using Great Engineers and Merchants that give amenities and luxuries

I'd be fine with a 50% IZ building card, now that Factories got nerfed and such. Why can Stadiums give +2 amenities for every city late game?

You can improve amenities by several means, including
  • Befriending Buenos Aires, Zanzibar and Muscat (the last only if you have the DLC)
  • Building Entertainment Complexes
  • Building Colosseum
  • Using policy cards that increase amenities
  • Using Great Engineers and Merchants that give amenities and luxuries
Life saver! Thanks! I didn't know this before.
Why befriending Buenos Aires, Zanzibar and Muscat can help amenities? YOU mean taking advantages of their luxury or what??

I'm guessing there's no "+100% IZ buildings" card mostly because it has a regional Factory, so doubling it could be way too much extra production given to cities.
I was looking for such a card yesterday and couldn't find one. This probably explains why. Would be nice though :)

Because of their suzerainty bonuses:

Buenos Aires: Your bonus resources behave like Luxury resources that provide +1 amenity each (so, only for 1 city, but you may have plenty of types).
Zanzibar: Receive 1 copy of Cloves and Cinnamon, unique luxuries that provide +6 amenities each.
Muscat: Each city with a Commercial Hub get +1 amenity.

While we are at it: You can also get Amenities from religion, namely the River Goddess Pantheon (+1 if you have a Holy Site adjacent to a river) and the Zen Meditation Follower Belief (+1 if the city has at least two specialty districts).

What I was focusing or I should have been focusing is creating more productions for the 3 space port cities.
Ok, this must have passed me by. Why would you build Spaceports in 3 cities? Don't get it. Is this something to do with the three parts required for the final stage i.e. the Mars stuff?? Some sort of way to produce them in separate cities?

Ok, this must have passed me by. Why would you build Spaceports in 3 cities? Don't get it. Is this something to do with the three parts required for the final stage i.e. the Mars stuff?? Some sort of way to produce them in separate cities?

The 3 final parts (Mars Colony Hydroponics, Reactor and Habitation) can be built in parallel. However, many people choose to build them in the same city because only one city can benefit from the effect of Carl Sagan.

Most people in the Science thread have been using projects to rush through the Great Scientists up to the Information Era ones, while saving up gold and building Big Ben in the process. This way, you have the 28000+ gold to buy those last Great Scientists (especially Kwolek and Sagan, which combined give enough production to complete the Moon Landing and all Mars Colony parts).

Top Bottom