Adjacency Bonuses That Should Be

steveg700

Deity
What are some adjacency that feel like they're kind of missing from the game, kind of would improve quality of life without going overboard?

For instance, I was thinking maybe an adjacency bonus for commercial hubs next to an oasis would be a good idea. Not too big of a deal, just something to help represent the notion of why a desert city crop up (remember the old days of plastering the desert with trading posts?).

Industrial zone and power plants (solar, wind, geothermal).

...I was thinking maybe an adjacency bonus for commercial hubs next to an oasis would be a good idea. ...

Yes please.

Industrial zone and power plants (solar, wind, geothermal).

I'm not adverse to that. I'd also still like to see IZs get an adjacency from Harbours, but I get that might also be a bit too spicy.

I think they should make a lot of the cultural based UIs (say Sphinx) provide at least minor adjacency for the theater square. Maybe same with some of the faith UIs and the holy site.

Never thought of that before. But yeah, that would be kinda cool. It could maybe only be a few specific UIs that do that, because I think the design of the game overall is that Theatre Squares don't get adjacencies easily.

Other adjacencies? I think the campus should lose the adjacency for Geo Thermals - it's too strong. And I think canals should also give adjacencies to Harbours and Commercial Hubs.

Neighborhoods should give +1 adjacency to commercial hubs.

Or something. They're so useless.

I think if a neighborhood is adjacent to the city center it should get +2 gold or something, but also you can get this if you connect it via railroad once you invent railroads

Other adjacencies? I think the campus should lose the adjacency for Geo Thermals - it's too strong. And I think canals should also give adjacencies to Harbours and Commercial Hubs.
I think toning the geothermal to just a +1 would be okay. Sometimes you see a pair of geothermal tiles and getting +4 right away is just so overpowering. I do think that volcanoes, though, should be +1 point for holy sites and campuses; this would make a volcano +2 (mountain+volcano, +3 faith for wonder volcanoes.) I want the district placement tension you have with floodplains to extend to volcanoes - which are usually quite good tiles for working since you can mine flat volcanic soil.
I really like that canals interact with IZs, I do wish they'd pair with CHs since canals are literally artificial rivers. It's harder to abuse canals as well, just because canal placement is so picky.
Harbors getting canal boost would be interesting - do you go +1 or +2? I can see arguments for each, basically whether or not a city center right on the coast would be better than having the canal. I almost feel +1 for CH and harbor is the wiser option, because if you did +2,+1 or +2,+2, it would nominally be superior to found a city one tile off the coast and make a triangle of harbor-CH-canal, which just seems so wrong. If it's just +1,+1 then the city center's +2 for harbor makes it a cheaper and equally effective choice (excluding the shipyard effect here.)

I think if a neighborhood is adjacent to the city center it should get +2 gold or something, but also you can get this if you connect it via railroad once you invent railroads
I really wish neighborhoods had the nubian pyramid effect - +1:c5food: for city center and +1 of appropriate yield for other districts. And then toss in a policy card in the modern era that doubles those bonuses. It would make urban planning quite fun!

Campus next to reefs. If they get science from life in rainforest they should get science from ocean life.

Theater Squares next to the city center. City centers in real life are cultural hubs and tourist attractions so making them easily accessible to get to theaters and museums makes sense. I know the Greek's acropolis already has that bonus but it can be buffed even further.

I would like the Aqueduct to give more than just a housing bonus like say food for adjacent farms.

Commercial Hubs should get adjacency bonus for luxury resources. Just about every game my mind thinks that I should put a commercial hub on a certain spot because of adjacent luxuries, even though I know it doesn't - it's as if I so strongly believe that it should that my brain just decides it does.

You can nearly argue for all of them. The point of adjacencies was not realism, but to create an interesting puzzle where to put your districts. I do think they failed in them as the best set-ups were quickly identified and otherwise requires such a big planning that people just don‘t feel like doing the math. But yeah, all of your examples make sense and yes, why not put that in for a bit of more.

(I‘d prefer a system where buildings get an adjacency, but you can put them in all the districts. Put the observatory near the mountain, and let the university get a bonus for being near the observatory, but also besides a jungle or a reef. And if you have a district full of science buildings, you get an additional bonus. But the library could be both a science AND a neighbourhood building. Hey, we are in Ideas & Suggestions here :))

Campus next to reefs. If they get science from life in rainforest they should get science from ocean life.

Sure. Although, at this stage, I'm not sure Campuses need more adjacency at this stage.

Theater Squares next to the city center.

They do. Just build them in a triangle with your City Centre and a Commercial Hub or something.

I would like the Aqueduct to give more than just a housing bonus like say food for adjacent farms.

They do. An aqueduct+ another district (including your City Centre) give a +1 adjacency to all Districts, they count as a District for all those +this or that for having x districts or +this or that for each district, and they help with flooding.

The point of adjacencies was not realism, but to create an interesting puzzle where to put your districts.

I mean, basically this, right?

Are there even that many Campuses built next to mountains in real life? Or Industrial Zones next to Mines?

They do. Just build them in a triangle with your City Centre and a Commercial Hub or something.
The triangle is the same for any district though. I'd like Theater Squares to have a little more.
They do. An aqueduct+ another district (including your City Centre) give a +1 adjacency to all Districts, they count as a District for all those +this or that for having x districts or +this or that for each district, and they help with flooding.
I'd like them to provide a yield though which is why I suggested food though they do also help prevent food loss in a drought which kind of makes up for it. I thought the dam was just for helping with flooding.

Tra-la-la. Let me check in and see how my thread is doing.....Gee, seems like nobody is posting in it anymore......Oh, it's been frog-marched into the "Ideas & Suggestions" ghetto. A death sentence for discussion. :nono:

I mean, basically this, right?

Are there even that many Campuses built next to mountains in real life? Or Industrial Zones next to Mines?
Well, mines tend not to be near metropolises, but civ has no way to represent low-pop cities like mining towns or farmbelts that export their outputs. The focus is on localized per-city yields, which is sensible in the ancient era but later becomes outmoded as metropolises emerge. Trade routes are a tacked-on feature that basically generate yields from thin air. So, that's a limitation baked into Civ that the adjacency design has to deal with.

The very fact that adjacency is required (rather than just proximity within the same city) is very "gamey", to be sure. However, I would say it's too reductive to say verisimilitude isn't a concern. They just had a lot of legacy noise in there. Are all the great centers of learning in the world found in the heart of jungles? Nope, just carrying over a nonsensical bonus that universities had in Civ V. Giving a major adjacency bonus for campuses is, IMO, an obvious mistake and lets to major have-or-have-not situations with civ's. I'd prefer to have lots of ways to gain minor bonuses for campuses and theaters. Instead, you can rack up crazy bonuses for the former in certain specific situations, and the latter is only gets a serious buff from wonders. It doesn't make for a very engaging puzzle.

One way to address a potential overkill of bonuses would be to have bonuses unlock with unlocking techs. Maybe mountains don't provide a major bonus until after researching Astronomy, for instance.

Of course, these bonuses should not just be thought of as a way to improve districts, but conversely as a way to make certain features on the map more relevant. For instance, I like the idea of giving CH's a bonus for oasis adjacency because the oasis is a pretty unspectacular feature that can't be improved by a builder, doesn't get better with techs, and can't be chopped. Sure, it's a fresh source of water in a desert, but the game is hurting for a reason to bother with desert cities in the first place (again, another side effect of having a tacked-on trading system).

I also like the idea that in some hypothetical overhaul that a resource gives an adjacency bonus equivalent to the type of yield it offers. In other words, jade and amber for theater districts, mercury and tea for campuses, cotton, gems, and cocoa for CH's, incense and tobacco for HS's, and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom