1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjusted Continents 1.1

Adjusts the Continents Map to create contiguous oceans with fewer vertical pole to pole continents.

1. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

Original Discussion here

Summary
    Creates fewer pole to pole continents while producing oceans that allow you to circumnavigate the world.

Install
    1. Unzip the file as is to your Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods folder (if you have a previous version, please overwrite the entire "Adjusted Continents" folder).
    2. Load Civ IV and enable in the Additional Content menu
    Future
    • Hoping to add scripting for some small islands in future ala "Continents Plus"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Craig_Sutter likes this.
  2. Solette

Solette Chieftain

Very nice!

3. bmrigs

bmrigs Chieftain

Thanks for your efforts on this. Can you help an old timer out on how to install this?

4. Zlaayer

Zlaayer Chieftain

Doesn't appear to be working. I installed the mod but keep getting two large pole to pole continents like usual.

5. Elucidus

Elucidus Chieftain

This is a much more elegant fix than what I did. All I did was change the Ice feature to not form on Coast. Good Job.

6. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

That will happen until one of us gets fed up with it and makes some more significant changes. My first batch of tests with my old settings was great until the next day when the RNG decided to hate me again. Then I saw this version and the results looked awesome but the I fired it up and... Pole to pole continents on my first three maps. :)

7. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

Had a play through after posting this mod yesterday, sure enough pole to pole.

After reading this, just generated 5 maps and all good.

Ugh...

8. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

PoundedChicken updated Adjusted Continents with a new update entry:

6 consecutive generations (mostly Standard size):

9. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I created a "softer" polar land remover that works relatively well. However, the biggest issue doesn't appear to be polar land specifically as much as it is the long north-south oriented continents which still seems to be pretty random even with your latest changes. Frustrating more than anything, so close and yet so far away... :)

(Lol, I just saw your "vertical happy" comment in the change you made)

PoundedChicken likes this.
  10. madpluck

madpluck Chieftain

Have you thought about creating a new map script rather than overwriting the continents map?
    Also, I keep trying to use this mod but I think it's disabling itself? When I start the game up again this mod is disabled; have to check but I think that means it doesn't actually stay activated when I start a new game.
    EDIT: Ok maybe with the updated version this isn't happening anymore.
    EDIT 2: Seems to have been enabled, but my first map has pole-to-pole continents with blocking ice haha.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

Yes, I might do a separate map down the track. Honestly I just did this to fix my own gameplay but thought it'd be worth sharing.

I disabled the mod by default.

Disappointing that you got a pole to pole. Every time I tweak, I do about 10 regens with a map reveal mod. I actually hadn't had a single pole-to-pole in this latest version. Oh well, that's what drawing boards are for...

12. madpluck

madpluck Chieftain

Well the map was certainly still more interesting than the continents map by default, and the poles were almost navigable, only one or two pieces of ice actually blocking the coast. I was also playing with low sea level so that probably didn't help.

13. Olordrin

Olordrin Chieftain

Awesome mod, it's made it into my 'will always use' selection of mods. Can't give you enough praise.

14. PoundedChicken

PoundedChicken Chieftain

I was thinking this update might be the one where I start playing (being an Aussie) / modding again (with support now!). Based on my first few generations, their solution (in practice) seems only a little bit more elegant in reality, than the "Nuclear Option" that I had commented-out in the Adjusted Continents.

Have you had a chance to look at changes yet? I can see that they've changed both the Continents.lua (where I haven't seen anything particularly different yet) and the FeatureGenerator.lua (where they've overhauled the AddIceAtPlot() function). I'm interested to see what happens if we apply the 90% Height rule to the Fractal.Create(), post-update.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  15. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I haven't had a chance to mess with it at all yet but I plan on doing that tomorrow. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that screenshot, it goes completely in the opposite direction and instead of being broken by rarely allowing circumnavigation now it's broken in that you always can get around any land near the poles without any ice on coastal tiles to make you plan cities.

Depending on whether or not they fixed their handling of modded lua scripts I may mess around with a better fix that removes ice only when needed to allow passage around a landmass.

16. Regul

Regul Chieftain

Great mod, still waiting to see it on Steam Workshop.