Adjusting UN votes with 50 ICBMs

Mountain Wumpus

Chieftain
I just won a diplomatic victory on Monarch thanks to adjusting the UN voting balance with exactly 50 ICBMs. I got a score of 20k - Augustus Caesar, which surprises me a bit. For some reason, I always thought nuking affected your score negatively.

I played as Alexander, large Shuffle map, aggressive AI, no technology brokering, no unofficial patches or mods.

I was on one continent with Louis and Orange. Louis was absorbed with a Phalanx rush, Orange vassalized after a relatively longish war. Sitting Bull was on two adjacent isles, but quickly capitulated when my riflemen and infantry shot down his knights and longbowmen.

On the other continent were Toku, Shaka, Fred and Qui. Qui was the man, followed by Fred, and Toku and Shaka were backwards as usual when they don't succed at early conquest. Fred was Qui's vassal, but voluntarily. Toku and Shaka quickly capitulated to me, too, after I took from them about two or three grenadier-guared cities with hardly any loss of infantry.

So, it was me, Orange, Toku, Shaka and Sitting Bull against Fred and Qui. Obviously, I was relatively close to a domination win already, but both Qui and Fred were a good deal ahead technologically and invading them seemed too tedious, so I beelined the UN, hoping that I had enough votes already. Now, one turn before I complete it, Qui and Fred declare war. They quickly grab some cities from my vassals, and when I can make the first bid for diplomatic victory I am missing 12 votes. 12 votes. :mad:

So I'm a bit bored with the game (not to mention pissed at the two culprits), and I figure: instead of going through the trouble of an actual war only to reduce their votes, why not just nuke them into the stoneage? That should adjust the votes just as well.

And so I did. I geared most of my economy towards buying and building nukes. But being somewhat impatient, it took me three attempts. Each time I declared war on Qui (or Fred) on the eve of a diplomatic victory vote, launched a dozen ICBMs or two, and hoped for the best. It wasn't as effective as I expected, but eventually I succeded in 1976 - with a nice -68 "you nuked us!" score for Qui and a -32 one for Fred. I supposed they shouldn't have retaliated against my vassals only, even though I had SDI during the second and third time.

Good times. :king:

Oops, this was supposed to go into the stories forum. Oh, well.

Interesting strategy, at least it worked out for you in the end

That's actually a very interesting tactic, slightly heavy on the genocidal aspects, but it works well nonetheless!

Top Bottom