ADNES1: The Rood, The Roll and the Dragon

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Aiken_Drumn, Nov 11, 2021.

?

Do you have an interest in helping or playing a NES

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Radioactive Monkeys distract me! (Other)

25.0%
  4. I ended up here because of your signature

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

UPDATE ZERO

Uladh

Spoiler :
    Uladh is the northeastern most of the kingdoms of Ireland, a remnant of a kingdom that once spanned the whole of northern Ireland. When their capital of Emain Macha, an ancient fort and strongly symbolic monument, was destroyed by the Three Collas and their king slain on the field, the kingdom was thrown in disarray and most of the western territories declared themselves independent from Uladh's rule. In the face of this devastating loss of territory newly crowned King Muiredach took the throne for his clan. His eldest son, Eochaid, took power following his death and now rules.
    The Uladh are an old people who still dream of the days when their rule stretch the breadth of Ireland. Their far northern location kept them somewhat insulated from Roman depredations and Latinization while Pictish attention on the Roman border meant they could freely trade (and raid) with both, leaving a strong Gaelic legacy on the isles and the western coast of Argyll. As such they hold themselves as the true guardians of Gaelic culture, pointing towards their centuries of rule, their close ties with the Scot Gaels across the sea, and historic control over the Emain Macha as proof, though admittedly the first and last have both taken a bit of a hit in the past century.

Roll 20(+1): HOLY!.. this is 100% Genuine. You rolled a 20, AND you had a +1 stored.

Uladh is a strong and stable nation. Its ruler Eochaid is respected by many and feared by more. There are no threats to his rule. Their food stores are full, the people are satisfied. Perhaps now is the time to claim back what is rightfully theirs! (+5 Starting Strength and Stability)

VAM: +1 to any roll for 3 updates

Mumha

Spoiler :
    The Degaidh settled Mumha shortly before this time in history, establishing villages and engaging in trade with the local Dergthini and Lugaidh. Mumha is a patchwork of these three tribes, owing much of their prosperity to an origin of travels, often exchanging goods between southwestern Eire and the people of Cymru across the bay to the east. This trade makes the kingdom proficient in shipbuilding and they make capable sailors along the eastern and western coasts of Eire. The mixed heritage also makes it a haven for people tired of the trifles between Christians and Pagans, as while being a largely Pagan nation, Mumha's naval connections often force them into true connections with people of vast differences. The naval connections naturally have also connected them to the Romans of old. Whether they are in a transitionary period towards Christianity or being a Pagan nation of tolerance, they are a multifaceted people. While mac Maithni rule the land, the court is largely divided in council across tribes, and enmities are usually cast away by intermarrying the different clans, meaning that most of Mumha's royalty is familiarly interconnected, and largely plutocratic above anything else. However, the diversity also means people of more scrupulous and xenophobic nature are rarely culled; while rich and with little trouble in their multiplicity, they may not present the same armies as a nation unified in tribe and faith.

Roll: 16. A strong roll. Bonus given

The Mumha are a practical nation. Gifted on the waves, and uninterested in picking a side. This can prove to be a little of a hinderance when dealing with others, but perhaps the Mumha like this.
    (+1 rolls relating to Ships & trade, -1 to rolls when interacting with a nation with Strong Religion)

Meadh

Spoiler :
    This country should be moved south, and for leadership I like Failge Berraide.

Ramblings included below haha. I'll background once I know what changes will be made, if any.
    Note: I think this country is a mix of several countries and in general should be moved southward by a province. "Meadh" means Centre of Ireland and named for it's protection of the Hill of Uisneach. [1 province southwest] Historic Meadh was ruled/protected around this time by the Ui Failghe whose capital would be in County Kildare - [2 provinces south, inland, bordering Laighn]. the Leader Fraech mac Finchada was the ruler of Leinster and died in 495. Leinster would be coastal, 1-2 provinces southward. [Ironically, they are succeeded by Ui Dunlainge, which exists as rulers of Laighn]

My favourite solution is to move it one southwest so it's inland (special) and give it control of the centre of Ireland. Ruled by Failge Berraide, I'd play them as Pagans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Uisneach [the center of ireland]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Uí_Failghe [the kingdom of the dynasty]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Meath [the kingdom of Meath itself]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fráech_mac_Finchada [a leader of Leinster and predecessor of ]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failge_Berraide [Unknown origin, but ruled during 507-514]

Roll: 16. A strong roll. Bonus given

Though not much is known Failge Berraide at this time, and there is much debate over where the nation held its power. What is known that it soon settled and experienced great fortune in the years that followed (+1 to next roll)
    (OOC: Sorry dude, didn't realise that wasn't a description before I began this.. anyway, thank you for supplying the information, consider next update your start, but you get+1!)

MAP

View attachment 613573

Stats:

Uladh: Kyzarc Fotjage

Strength: 25/25
    Leadership: Eochaid mac Muiredaig Muinderg
    Capital: Ráth Celtchair
    Religion: Pagan with flickers of Christianity
    Diplomacy: None
    VAM: +1 for 3 updates

Mumha: Angst

Strength: 20/20
    Leadership: Dauí Iarlaithe mac Maithni
    Capital: Corcaigh
    Religion: Weakly Pagan
    VAM: +1 rolls relating to Ships & trade, -1 to rolls when interacting with a nation with Strong Religion

Meadh: Terrance888

Leadership: Failge Berraide
    Capital: Uisneach
    Religion: Pagan
    VAM: +1 for next update

2. Danwar

Danwar Warlord

Gens Ambrosius/Dumnonia
    The Imperium Romanum crumbles. Where once there was stability and order under the Empire's rule, now there is only chaos and turmoil as former foederati turn on those they once served, and nowhere is this more true than in those Romano-British holdouts that still remain on the island. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes, invited as foederati to serve Britannia, have instead ravaged and pillaged a region already declining due to its abandonment by the Legions. Many, at first, held hope against hope that the Emperor would hear their plight as they struggled first against Pictish and Hiberian raiders and later those Germanic groups that sought to seize Brittannia for their own, but it was no use; The Augustus Honorious, rather than diverting Comitatenses to secure Brittania, gave them a simple missive to 'look to their own defenses'.

Seven decades have passed since then, and for many in Britannia, it seemed as if the Saxons were destined to be victorious, following their pagan gods and conquering the Britonnic kingdoms left and right. Then, however, even as elsewhere the Empire continued to be usurped, a Roman won for the Britons a moment of reprieve at Bradonici Montis, throwing back the South Saxons and giving hope to the remnants of Brittania. Though the barbarians remain in the east, Ambrosius Aurelianus had held the line, and the Britons rejoyced in his victory. In the wake of the battle, his gens was firmly established as ruler of the regions of the Dumnonii and Durotriges. However, many of the Britons, including those of Cambria to the north, remain distrustful of a Roman ruling them due to their abandonment of the island, leaving the gens caught between two paths; maintaining its connections to the institutions of dying Rome and ensuring its light continues into the next generations, or leaving Rome behind and ruling as Britons instead to ensure the loyalty of their people. Further complicating things is the question of religion; the region itself inherited Christ from the Romans, but so too did it inherit cults such as Mithra and Sol Invictus, as well as the old gods of the Britons. While the gens currently supports Christ, these other religious factions must be dealt with one way or another if unity is to be maintained amongst the already-factitious Britons.

At the very least, however, gens Ambrosius is not alone; Syguarius rules a swath of northern Gallia to the south, many other Brittonic kings stand to the north against the Saxons, and the Hibernian clans to the west are all willing to trade, bringing in vital wealth for the Britons in a time where such is otherwise impossible to come by. Perhaps with the aid of some of these groups and Roman determination or Brittonic ingenuity, the gens can drive back the Saxons even further, unite the Brittonic peoples, and leave a legacy that will last for centuries to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosius_Aurelianus
    Spoiler :
    Dumnonia.PNG (Yellow is my minimum claim, light green is my ideal claim.)

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I will be in St. Louis Thursday through Wednesday and much less visible here during that time.

What is next for the NES?

4. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Welcome @Danwar ! I did not particularly wish to open up the rest of the UKand beyond quite yet.. but since you are on the edge I will allow it unless you are willing to pick somewhere in Ireland? :D

5. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Slowly wheeling through the odd post, getting the original updates within this thread and then I will do the update.

As is NES tradition, my life has suddenly become busy after a long period of boredom! I have completed on a flat which needs re-decorating! But fear not, I will still have time for this :D

6. Danwar

Danwar Warlord

I do not feel I have enough understanding of Irish history and culture, especially of this period, to play as a native clan there, and none of the groups I do know well had enough interest in the region to justify a presence there without casting aside history entirely. However, my faction is in a crossroads between the Celtic and Roman cultural spheres and on the coast near Ireland, and thus very relevant to it not only as a trade partner for the more mercantile clans but also a likely base for any Christian missionaries to the region. Plus, given the ascendancy of the Anglo-Saxon kings to the east, I doubt I will be able to expand in that direction anyway (at least, not without further consolidation along the western coast), meaning I won't be pushing the borders of the map so much as holding back the Saxons and buying time for the Irish players.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  7. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

For what it's worth, I think most of us glanced at wiki pages and made stuff up. :p

8. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Update 1

Dunluce

Spoiler :
    Finn MacCool and his wife Sive (Sadhbh) retired to their hall in Balleykeel and left the cheering crowds in the yard. They had just returned from Dunluce where Finn had left a strong guard to oversee and hold tight to the Clochán na bhFomhóraigh, the stepping stones of the gods. The power of the pagan gods had not waned in Dunluce as it had elsewhere and the old ways were strong in magic that filled his people with power of their land and the fortitude in battle inspired by the ancient Formorians. The harvests that year had been rich and the granaries of Dunluce were full. The spring birthings among the herds had been bountiful and in the fair summer they had grown fat. He was at peace with his neighbours but wary for they were all around. The power of the god flowed through him and his wife; it filled the woods and streams and lakes and fed his people who loved him. His ships sailed to Pictish lands across the water. The folks to the west in Dal Ariadl were less prosperous and eager to partake of Finn's generosity and willingness to trade.

In the quiet of their chambers Finn and Sive talked of the gods blessing and how they might spread those blessing far and wide and that one day his namesake would once again stride the great causeway to further their efforts.

Roll 14: Dunluce is a strong and stable nation, with trade flowing along the coast to Dal Ariadl, strengthening bonds as it does.

VAM: +1 When acting with Dal Ariad

Laighn

Spoiler :
    Laighn was a central kingdom, albeit somewhat small, with ties to the Christian faith. The second Dúnlainge king has just come to power with plans to bring his name to be famous across all of Ireland, as bane of the Britain.

My orders are expand self-control off the land and stabilize and Christianise population

Roll 4: Illan mac Dúnlainge is a weak man, disliked by many and short in stature. Liaghn suffers under this rule, and some wonder just how long it will survive.

Meadh

Spoiler :
    Uisneach, the sacred centre of Ireland and Irish Paganism. On May Day, the druids assembled to perform festivals and to breathe life to ancient laws by reading them to those that gathered and to the buried Tuatha De Danaan, the ancient powers of the land.

To help defend this sacred site, the King of Meadh, or the Middle, is acclaimed to he who can preserve stability and piece of the land. Although many clans struggled to acclaim this title, for many decades an unnamed king held it in his grasp. Although vigorous in his youth, time has taken his sons and his sanity, and left him with his throne. While his grandchildren multiplied and squabbled, this king tightened his grip as his eyesight failed, until the king only held sway into the lands nearest to the sacred mount, and his kingdom dissolved. Meanwhile, many saw this as omens brought by the Christian God, and the Rood rose in many of the lands of Ireland.

However, one of the grandsons or great grandsons, Failge Berraide, foresaw a future where the blessings of the gods once more flowed freely. Originally raised among a small farm, he learned of his heritage and birth right by a traveling vates and left with his mother's blessing. Traveling the land, besting rivals and gaining supporters, he positioned himself to claim the throne once his ancient sire passed. A learned man, he knew he must be acclaimed in the ancient ways, to truly become the King of Meadh and lead it to new glory.

And so, he immediately put to work to re-establish stability and to invite the remaining Druids of Ireland to acclaim his ancient rights.

Action: The background above. If I get more, Failge Berraide will try to be acclaimed King of Meadh by the Druids to increase his prestige and gain their support.

Roll: 11 (+1) 12 Failge Berraide is declared King of Meadh by the Druids

Uladh

Spoiler :
    Action: Rallying the banners before a push westwards.

Roll: 11 (+1 VAM) 12. Your call is heeded by your men. While not a very impressive force, it is once never-the-less, and they are ready and waiting your command.

Tyr Connail

Spoiler :
    Noting the men lack even the most basic training in battle, preparations are made (builds a camp for military training)

Roll 20: A grand fortification is built, with sleeping quarters, training halls and other sundries. It is a veritable WORLD WONDER. (VAM +5 to all Military Rolls)

Dal Ariadi

Spoiler :
    Excited by the potential bounty tree's are felled and a shipyard begins to take shape, we must have ships that can survive the rough sea's beyond our shore. (Build ships that will glide across the waters)

Roll 18: An impressive shipyard has been built in Doire (VAM+2 to all Ship related rolls)

Connachta
    Spoiler Connachta :
    Western Irish nation, descendants of the people ruled by Conn Cétchathach, the legendary High King of Ireland in the times of the Romans. It is said that the people of Connachta once belonged to a larger kingdom together with the Ulaid, the Laigin, the people of Mumu and the people of Mide. However about a hundred years ago their paths separated. It is said that the lost brothers would unite again under the true descendant of the High King. However his true lineage is lost in centuries as no one can claim direct lineage ever since the True Faith came to the green Irish shores.

There's rumour in Sligo of an arrival of a strange young man of an upright posture, who came from the land of the Britons carrying a sword. They say that his name is Aedan the Noble and that he is a descendant of a purple-wearing tribe. We are a proud people minding our own affairs, but the young man has a veil of history about him. History to be uncovered, history to be made.[/spoil]

Can the fact that I like riverdance balance it out? :p

Roll 12: (-3 lack of knowledge, +3 loves to dance) Connachta are a strange people, gifted in dance and noted for a great affinity with purple.

9. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

MAP:

upload_2021-11-26_8-40-31.png

10. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

STATS

Uladh: Kyzarc Fotjage

Strength: 25/25
    Leadership: Eochaid mac Muiredaig Muinderg
    Capital: Ráth Celtchair
    Religion: Pagan with flickers of Christianity
    Colour: Green
    VAM: +1 for 2 updates

Mumha: Angst

Leadership: Dauí Iarlaithe mac Maithni
    Capital: Corcaigh
    Religion: Weakly Pagan
    Colour: Purple
    VAM: +1 rolls relating to Ships & trade, -1 to rolls when interacting with a nation with Strong Religion

Meadh: Terrance888

Leadership: Failge Berraide
    Capital: Uisneach
    Colour: Red
    VAM: None

Connachta : Gelion
    Leadership: Dauí Tenga Uma mac Briúin
    Capital: Sligo
    Religion: Christian
    Colour: Orange
    Description: Western Irish nation

Dunluce : Birdjaguar
    Leadership: Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn MacCool)
    Capital: Ballykeel
    Colour: Dark Blue
    Description: North East coast Irish nation
    Diplomacy: +1 When acting with Dal Ariad

Laighn : erez
    Strength: 10/15
    Leadership: Illan mac Dúnlainge
    Capital: Kilkenny
    Colour: Blue
    Description: South east Irish nation

Tyr Connail
    Leadership: llan mac Fráech
    Capital: Sligo
    Colour: Burgundy
    Description: North west Irish nation.
    VAM: Great Barracks of Sligo(+5 to all Military Rolls)

Dal Ariadi: NPC

Leadership: Dúnlainge mac Finchada
    Capital: Doire
    Colour: Yellow
    Description: Northern Irish nation
    VAM: Shipyard of Doire (+2 to all Ship related rolls)
    Diplomacy: +1 When acting with Dunluce

11. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Update 2

Laighn

Spoiler :
    Illan mac Dúnlainge knew of the name he made for himself. He was disliked and weak. Some said even hideous to look at. But Illan was not a stupid man. He knew his weak appearance might be used to better his place. He could be feared instead of disliked.

Use force to threaten the population and create fear. Fear will rule the people stronger. Make sure such fear spreads beyond the borders of Liaghn to make sure Liaghn is feared by anyone near, and all are afraid from the imp that rules it.

Also - try to get married locally to strengthen stability.

Roll: 16 Illan rolled over, exhausted but satisfied. His new wife, daughter of a powerful clan over in the next valley laid beside him. She was not sure what to make of this man. In private he seemed so sweet, yet his fearsome reputation had almost lead to her fleeing her family home the night before. Laighn gains strength and stability

Connachta

Spoiler :
    Hold a large convention of the Only, True, and New (Christian) fate on the islands inviting everyone who is a Christian on the Isles (including Britain) and as many Greek scholars we can get hold of. Feed them cloth them and make them mingle for months. Get a hold of many neighbouring clans' leaders, monks. Pay special attention to the surviving descendants of Romans and Roman families, treat them with outmost respect and show them around.

Roll: 8 A grand convention was planned, but few turned up, and less stayed, much to the kings chagrin. The locals wondered where the food and fine goods that had been ordered would end up now they laid mostly unused.

Tyr Connail:
    Spoiler :
    llan mac Fráech strode through his training ground, proud of the bloodied and bruised boys that stood before him. They were nearing the end of their training and soon the rest of Eire would learn to fear the sound of the war cries (Rally Army ready for War)

Roll: 14 (19): A large standing force, well trained is ready for war. Tyr Connail has increased strength and stability

Dal Ariadi:
    Spoiler :
    With grand ships flowing up and down the coast, life was good and the stores bounteous. It was time to take advantage of this. The Western coast was to learn to fear the ships from Doire as they arrived on their coast. (Strike out and pillage the English coast after gathering supplies in Dunluce)

Roll 12 (14) Successful raids fill King Finchada’s stores (+1 to next roll)

Meadh

Spoiler :
    Turn 2 - Oaths of Blood and Brotherhood

With the blessing of the Druids, Failge Berraide set forth on his next project - uniting the disparate blood of the Ancient King, many of whom like him foreswore that unwelcome clan. And so he toured the countryside, visiting the greatest holdings and tuathas, or kingdoms, swaying their chiefs. When he returned he summoned forth from each a promising warrior, to represent them and the bond between Tuatha and the Kingdom Of Meadh. And from these warriors, he requested oaths of loyalty and protection. In exchange he swears to guarantee them their birthrights, be it inheritance or mastery of new tuathas to be conquered. From these warriors he would mold together the spearpoint of his new army, his new personal body guard, his Oathsworn.

Action - Gather the most promising warriors of the land and have them swear oaths of loyalty, thereby becoming the Oathsworn, King Failge Berraide's new personal bodyguard and elite warriors.

Roll 19: I don’t know what is in the waters or the blood for that matter of the men of Meadh, but they tower above the common man. Loyalty and Strength increase.

Uladh

Spoiler :
    Fág an Bealach, we march west.

Roll 13 (14): The warrors move across the border, finding little to resist them. The land is claimed by Eochaid mac Muiredaig Muinderg.

Dunluce

Spoiler :
    Recent Official records of Finn McCool as written by his court recorder Fergus

The Harbormaster reported that increased traffic into Dunluce harbors has overwhelmed facilities and improvements are needed to docks, warehouses, bridges, in-town roads, quay cranes and small boats to ferry goods to and from ships. Finn authorized such work to be undertaken as soon as weather permits. Additional tax collectors were assigned to busiest the ports and border crossings.

Niall and Cormac reported the lords of Ulaidh were moving troops west as if going to war. Confidants (spies) provided troop counts and other vital information about those efforts. Niall also noted that he put all our local kinsmen on alert. Discontent in Navan over the feared invasion will be watched.

Our emissaries in Dal Ariadi told of success with the tribal lords who were receptive to increased cooperation in dispute resolution. Pictish envoys are expected to arrive in coming weeks to participate in the ceremonies along The Giant’s Causeway and Balleykeel.

Sive “let slip” that perhaps the roundness of her belly was not because of the abundance of the harvests.

Roll 14: Finn McCool was in a grand mood as he strode his new docks. His harbourmaster struggled alongside to keep up with him, taking note of all the desires his king had. Sive belly protruded proudly as she sat watching him from afar.

Mumha

Spoiler :
    Nothing is better than coins in the pocket. Maybe bread for the hungry, but coins buy bread.

During council assembly, Muichertach mac Degaidh proposes expansion of clan trade along the coasts. After some debate, getting closer trade to centralized Laighn and the distant land of Cymru should provide the best opportunity for profit. Iarlaithe mac Maithni arranges the establishment through a formal vote in the council and approved by the king. Merchants in the near future establishing markets there are given an upfront investment by the government and a short term tax relief, in return they are expected to pay back debt in the near future- Establish trading post(s) in the province to the east.

Roll 9 (10): A small trading post is established, though the main trade is the fishermen who ply the nearby coastline.

Dumnonia

Spoiler :
    Gens Ambrosius/Dumnonia

The Imperium Romanum crumbles. Where once there was stability and order under the Empire's rule, now there is only chaos and turmoil as former foederati turn on those they once served, and nowhere is this more true than in those Romano-British holdouts that still remain on the island. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes, invited as foederati to serve Britannia, have instead ravaged and pillaged a region already declining due to its abandonment by the Legions. Many, at first, held hope against hope that the Emperor would hear their plight as they struggled first against Pictish and Hiberian raiders and later those Germanic groups that sought to seize Brittannia for their own, but it was no use; The Augustus Honorious, rather than diverting Comitatenses to secure Brittania, gave them a simple missive to 'look to their own defenses'.

Seven decades have passed since then, and for many in Britannia, it seemed as if the Saxons were destined to be victorious, following their pagan gods and conquering the Britonnic kingdoms left and right. Then, however, even as elsewhere the Empire continued to be usurped, a Roman won for the Britons a moment of reprieve at Bradonici Montis, throwing back the South Saxons and giving hope to the remnants of Brittania. Though the barbarians remain in the east, Ambrosius Aurelianus had held the line, and the Britons rejoiced in his victory. In the wake of the battle, his gens was firmly established as ruler of the regions of the Dumnonii and Durotriges. However, many of the Britons, including those of Cambria to the north, remain distrustful of a Roman ruling them due to their abandonment of the island, leaving the gens caught between two paths; maintaining its connections to the institutions of dying Rome and ensuring its light continues into the next generations, or leaving Rome behind and ruling as Britons instead to ensure the loyalty of their people. Further complicating things is the question of religion; the region itself inherited Christ from the Romans, but so too did it inherit cults such as Mithra and Sol Invictus, as well as the old gods of the Britons. While the gens currently supports Christ, these other religious factions must be dealt with one way or another if unity is to be maintained amongst the already-factitious Britons.

At the very least, however, gens Ambrosius is not alone; Syguarius rules a swath of northern Gallia to the south, many other Brittonic kings stand to the north against the Saxons, and the Hibernian clans to the west are all willing to trade, bringing in vital wealth for the Britons in a time where such is otherwise impossible to come by. Perhaps with the aid of some of these groups and Roman determination or Brittonic ingenuity, the gens can drive back the Saxons even further, unite the Brittonic peoples, and leave a legacy that will last for centuries to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosius_Aurelianus

View attachment 615019 (Yellow is my minimum claim, light green is my ideal claim.)

Roll 11: Ambrosius Aurelianus held court while his men feasted. For the first time in memory their borders were secure, and the locals placated. With friends and enemies on all sides, how long would the peace last? Ambrosius shook his head, that was tomorrows problem, for now, bring forth the next course!

12. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

MAP

upload_2021-11-26_9-58-37.png

13. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Laighn
    With fear on his side, Illan looked forward with his plans. All around him many minor leaders were expanding and increasing their strength, but what is strength worth, without an heir? The marriage to a daughter of a minor lord under his rule was to cement that direction. A son will soon be a reality.

With a son on the way, Illan wanted to make sure his fledgling realm survives and gets more powerful. East of him were vast rich lands, and the coast. Illan had dreams of ships going across the water, raiding Britain and bringing great wealth. The lords were called, the levies were raised but Illan needed a reason to go.

Christ will be the reason. Those lands have become somewhat Christian, but not enough, and not the rulers. He will bring the land under the name of the one true good, that was his reasoning to the outside world for the fighting.

ORDERS
    Get a son.
    Take the military to occupy and annex the eastern province, get on the coast as quickly as possible, all else if less important.

Aiken_Drumn likes this.
  14. Danwar

Danwar Warlord

Dumnonia
    As Ambrosius Aurelianus returned with his forces to Dumnonia, followed by Romanized cohorts and Brittonic warbands alike, he did so in the spirit of triumph. Of course, Rome itself was both far too distant to reach in a timely manner and currently occupied by rebellious Germanic foederati, so returning to the capital in act of Triumph was wholly unlikely - but the spirit, the joy and festivity of such a victory? It was alight in the hearts of all the men, his own and his allies'. Both sides agreed that the best way to celebrate such a victory in repelling the Saxons was a feast, but there was one question much more divisive. Where?

One location favored by the Britons who had maintained their traditions in the face of Rome was a hillfort to the west on the coast, that the Saxons would call 'Worlebury'. It was used by Brittonic chiefs long ago, and was situated on the coast; perfect, the chiefs reasoned, to be close to the trade with the Hibernians to the west. Ambrosius' advisors, however, advised somewhere else to hold court: the Vicus of Aquae Sulis to the east. It was a rather Romanized settlement, they reasoned, and while it was not large (especially after years of urban decline), it was decently fortified, equipped with thick stone walls rather than the earthen ones of the hillforts; however, it would still be an acceptable capital for the Britons thanks to it being founded on the holy site of an ancient Britonnic goddess. Finally, it was on the eastern edge of Ambrosius' territory, allowing him to swiftly respond to any Saxon incursions that might try to avenge the battle.

After some deliberation, Ambrosius made his choice; He would hold court at Aquae Sulis!
    Spoiler :
    Capital.PNG

The Feast of Ambrosius

Well in advance of his forces' return, he sent messengers ahead of his forces to the local administrators of the food that would be required for this feast. The peasants were at first skeptical, but upon learning of the victory over the Saxons it was meant to celebrate, they were willing to part with some of their produce to assist the local food stores in order to celebrate their homes and livelihoods being secured. The Roman town was abuzz with both the logistics and anticipation of this feast for several long days - before, finally, reports came of the allied army arrived, and the gates opened. Ambrosius was welcomed as a hero and a champion, and the subsequent feast held with his men was equipped with gifts of food from several neighboring petty kings. It was humble compared to the Triumphal celebrations of old, of course, but for the local region, it was a significant event. Bread and wine were, of course, served, but also salted fish, roast venison, goat's milk, and a variety of other local foods, ensuring that there was plenty of food for all attending.

Of course, while Ambrosius did partially hold this feast to celebrate the victory itself, it was also a political move; such a feast would be prestigious among the local princes and kings and earn him more respect, cementing his victory and promoting comraderie among his Romanized Britons and those tribes that had never been fully Romanized. Ambrosius would use this opportunity to try and improve his diplomatic standing among the nearby Brittonic realms, hopefully even earning the fealty of a few nearby towns and petty kings. After all, such a victory had proven that he could protect the south from Saxon incursion, hadn't it?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  15. Angst

So Britannia is opening up, and Laighn is heading there... Interesting.

@Aiken Drumn, are we allowed to discuss strategy with other parties here in the thread without formal conduction of diplomacy, agreements and such? Like, establishing diplomatic relations ingame, royal marriages, formal diplomatic agreements and trade/tax stuff, those definitely require a roll, but otherwise?

16. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Not really heading to stay. Going to head there just for raiding.

17. Danwar

Danwar Warlord

I would advise against even that; with the Saxons driven back for the time being, many of the petty kings and chiefs will be able to turn their armies, experienced and capable, from the less-dangerous east to defend the coast against any raiding warbands you might intend to send. Not to mention, it would be a tragedy for our men to have to butcher our fellow Christians...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  18. Angst

Still! There's a few things here -
    - I know you're going heavily Christian, which means we have some opposition now that my nation is so indifferent
    - Plus, my trade post was much more east than intended lmao
    - I don't plan to raid in the east myself, only trade, but with you going there, it just makes sense to talk! I want the trade to benefit us both.
    - Basically just a lot of reasons to talk with you :D

Did look like you intended to conquer with your idea of conversion as the start for your journeys, but if it's raiding, fine too, think it just makes sense to do some diplomacy.

19. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Oh i think we can all freely diplo with each other. I mean all Irish rulers must know of each other to some degree. Mine is probably known as scary and unkind.

20. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

From my reading of Ireland history at this time, that’s what some Irish did, raided Britain, long before the Vikings came around.